Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,250,326 times

Advertisements

haha, this thread is still going.

guys, if i move out there, im gonna have to be in Oahu since that's where i'll find a high paying job.

guess im gonna have to learn to love it. lol.

that being said, how's the commute from Kailua Beach to downtown Honolulu?

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 02-18-2017 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 08:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
haha, this thread is still going.
It's the classic Hawaii City-Data divide.

While this is a Relocation Forum; Hawaii often gets treated as a 'tourist comment forum'.

Tourists are still doing drive-by posts, commenting that they too want to see Hawaii without cars, streets, roads, stores, restaurants, people...as it varies so much from their tourist brochures.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:

that being said, how's the commute from Kailua Beach to downtown Honolulu?
The morning commute is far rougher - generally - than the evening unless there is an accident.

For the morning commute - be on the road by 6am allocate about 30 minutes. Leave after 6am until roughly 8:30am allocate at least 45 minutes.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:19 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,250,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The morning commute is far rougher - generally - than the evening unless there is an accident.

For the morning commute - be on the road by 6am allocate about 30 minutes. Leave after 6am until roughly 8:30am allocate at least 45 minutes.
thanks!

i see you live there.

just curious, when I went, it was pretty windy there. is it always like that or only certain times of the year?

Old 02-19-2017, 08:04 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
thanks!

just curious, when I went, it was pretty windy there. is it always like that or only certain times of the year?
If you were there this year the winds have been abnormally strong - we've been getting a series of strong Kona winds (from the south) that greatly accelerate as the wind comes down the mountain. In a typical year you shouldn't need worry about the wind in Kailua.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,148,408 times
Other than the over-built Waikiki and now Kakaako, Oahu is hardly crowded at all. In fact, even in downtown, there are hardly any pedestrians on sidewalk other than lunch time.

Most of Oahu is tranquil. If you go to the beach on weekdays, i.e. Waimea, Sunset, Kailua, Lanikai,....etc., there are plenty of parking spaces on the beach. Most of the hiking trails, i.e. Manoa Fall, Makapuu Lighthouse and even Diamond Head, are not crowded on weekdays.

I live in town. So traffic is not a concern to me. I used to live in Ewa. But moved back to town in early 2000s. Everyone I know who lived out there on the Leeward side but needed to commute to town has moved back to town. 15 years ago traffic has already started to get worse on that side. So anyone who chooses to live there should know in advance how hectic the traffic is.

I have been to all three neighbor islands. Price in supermarkets over those islands are much more expensive than those in Honolulu. And I always fly. My house is just 10 minutes from the airport. If I live in neighbor island, it is humbug that most likely I have to stay overnight in Honolulu for connecting flights since most flights bound for Asia depart in the morning.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,309,332 times
Quote:
1. Maui - lots of space, clean, balanced when it comes to nature and other things to do, not overdeveloped like Oahu.
3. Kauai Reason why it's #3 is because its too cloudy and rainy most of the time. Also, no beach really stands out compared to the other islands.
4. Oahu - nothing good about it besides the food in my opinion.
I know.... an old topic.... but these three things tell me you have ZERO clue what you are talking about so responding further is pointless.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,769,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
To whom are you addressing this comment?
To tell the truth, I don't recall. It wasn't you.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:30 AM

33 posts, read 48,774 times
I lived on Oahu in 2014
I love it, but it is overpopulated, racist, and Waikiki is the worst beach once you go beach hopping and see the rest of the beauty of the island. I loved the accessibility of the public transportation. They do have great food. Chain food actually tastes better than the states, like they actually follow protocol. Mcdonalds and taco bell tastes decent there, but like crap in the rest of the USA. There are lots of homeless, especially a mini homeless town outside of KMART. The homeless there will lie down and sleep anywhere. The beach at night is full of tents. Nightlife isn't as flashy like other cities. I feel Hawaii is more for families. Single there is pretty boring theres not really a dating scene

Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
That's where the problem with reality vs fantasy rears its ugly head..

'Didn't look like this on the postcards'

My concern with Hawaii, after all these years, is that they are going to kill the golden goose one of these days. Then they'll rip open the carcass and try to figure out where the golden eggs came from...

And that's enough pilau ano for me today.

Mele,,,, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me, Kalikimakauuurrrpppp
I dunno, I've been going to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui every year since 1985...I'm a pretty cynical person, but I have to say I've always found these Islands to be very mystical..and more so, Spiritual..BTW Spiritual ain't a 'go to' word in my vocab.
OK, I don't feel very spiritual or mystified while grazing through the free samples at Costco in Hawaii Kai,
but sitting at a heiau or rock tapping to communicate with spirits...that some pretty heavy Mojo for this little ol' Haole Boy.

Hokay...just in case somebody is wunnering wot da fuke I am talking about;
someone mentioned way back in the tread....he/she thought Oahu was 'mystical'..
jungjohann answered with the quote above..

haha...I'm lost here...:~}. aloha

Last edited by mr.magoo; 06-24-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu