Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,250,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
This is how I feel about Maui :;. Maui is my first true love but it has changed so much over the last 30 years. I miss the expansive emerald green fields of sugar cane, and west Maui now feels like Disney World with what seems like 10,000 tourists per local. Such a different place I fell in love with over 25 years ago.

For me, Kauai is more similar to older Maui (although still waaay more quiet). There's nothing like waking up to lush Wainiha valley scenery and spending the day around Ke'e, Tunnels or Ha'ena. Those are some pretty fine beaches, and the rain is refreshing and always temporary. Best way I know to put the brakes on life... But to each their own .
I agree that less people is better. And I also agree that Maui is growing... but I think that's inevitable for all the islands... actually, with the exception of the Big Island. I hear most of the land there is marked for agriculture. That might help slow down the overpopulation process ..though the Big Island IS pretty big.

I think if Maui would stop growing just about now would be perfect. It's quite balanced. If you look at the island on Google Maps in a bird's eye view, you'll see that there's actually very little development and it's mainly in West and South Maui. There is an enormous amount of land that is not developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE?

imagine if the population in Oahu was 150k tops

let me begin by saying I've been to all Hawaiian islands (including Molokai and Lanai), multiple times.

this is my second time on Oahu, last time I came here was around 5-6 years ago. reason why Im here is that I had forgotten the feel of it and wanted to check it out again because i keep getting calls from recruiters about job opportunities.

anyway, THANK GOD the majority of tourists are clueless about the real Hawaii, aka Big Island, Maui & Kauai.

Oahu is WAYYY overpopulated with all the major problems of any large city. Waikiki might as well be downtown LA with all the homeless. And lets not kid ourselves here, Waikiki beach is possibly the worst beach in Hawaii.

its actually quite sad what happened in Oahu with the over development. I also dont remember this island being this dirty either. my god, I bet the majority of tourists who come here are disappointed.

I see one good thing about Honolulu and its the food. other than that, no idea why anyone would live here. being surrounded by hoards of tourists by a crappy beach loaded with generic stores would probably make me want to commit suicide.

something else I noticed: the roads. I'm not even complaining about their crappy conditions, I'm talking about how they were designed. sooo confusing.

if I were to rank the 4 main islands, it would have to be like this:

1. Maui - lots of space, clean, balanced when it comes to nature and other things to do, not overdeveloped like Oahu.
2. Big Island - lots of space, clean, possibly the best beaches in Hawaii (Hapuna & Maniniowali), plenty of sunshine on the west side, and plenty of nature to explore.
3. Kauai Reason why it's #3 is because its too cloudy and rainy most of the time. Also, no beach really stands out compared to the other islands.
4. Oahu - nothing good about it besides the food in my opinion.

anyway, had to rant. should've gone to the Big Island again... oh well, next time.
A tourist demanding islands without tourists...so he can enjoy his tourism....

How dare Oahu have a city on it, with people living there....they just ruin the tourism experience!

Old 01-02-2017, 09:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I sorta liked downtown, liked the North Shore, but the locals certainly did not like me, and yes, the vibe on that island is not good in areas. Three weeks was all I could handle the place, whereas I had lived on the B.I. for years and years. Hotel street was awfully dicey (this was over 15 years ago, not sure if they cleaned it up since then), and ice and heroin were laughably easy to get as there were drug gangs that were operating all through Chinatown. I was going to rent a room in that area and the folks at the hostel I was staying at kept telling me "you do NOT want to live there". It didn't look that much worse than San Francisco's Tenderloin to me, but they said "go there at night and see what you think". So I did, and it was scary. It was much worse. I actually had lived in the 'loin before, as well as Harlem, so had some idea of what scary is. The homeless scene was not good either.
Hmm...interesting, as you are verifying it with other places you lived.

I didn't find Honolulu downtown to be that bad, but I could see an element of that though. Actually, it's rather unfortunate that almost all u.s. cities have serious drug problems and decaying uncared for downtowns...so it shouldn't be a surprise that Honolulu would have the exact same elements as every other American city.

it's just unfortunate, because it would be great if it went the direction of say Asian cities, where they are generally lively, interesting, safe, and pleasant places to spend time.

I always hoped that Honolulu was bucking the general American trend, but not entirely surprising that it wouldn't be able to either.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,250,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A tourist demanding islands without tourists...so he can enjoy his tourism....

How dare Oahu have a city on it, with people living there....they just ruin the tourism experience!
There's two types of "tourists" ...

First time I visited Maui, on the boat back to Maui from Lanai, I spoke with a native Hawaiian the whole trip. 2 hours or so. At the end of the trip he invited me to go to a BBQ he was going to with his family and friends. I'm this type of tourist.

The other type of tourist would be more concerned with which hotel he/she is staying at and making sure he can get to a Starbucks easily.

I loathe those types of people. Probably why I dislike Honolulu.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
There's two types of "tourists" ...

First time I visited Maui, on the boat back to Maui from Lanai, I spoke with a native Hawaiian the whole trip. 2 hours or so. At the end of the trip he invited me to go to a BBQ he was going to with his family and friends. I'm this type of tourist.

The other type of tourist would be more concerned with which hotel he/she is staying at and making sure he can get to a Starbucks easily.

I loathe those types of people. Probably why I dislike Honolulu.

At least you're humble about it

Old 01-02-2017, 10:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The OP gave us his/hers and I hope they feel better for getting all that off their chest.
If I remember correctly the OP drives through the less than rich part of their own town and laughs at all the poor people who are homeless or barely getting by.
I would not put much stock in their opinion of anywhere.

PS ~~ OP, your title is written wrong as well, it should be
"I'm currently in Oahu and I have got to tell you it is my least favorite island"

Old 01-03-2017, 10:55 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I just got back from spending 4 hours on the Kaneohe sandbar and it was amazing, for New Years? Spent with 60 good friends and family. Have 8 people visiting who are have a great time.

To each their own.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-03-2017, 01:18 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If I remember correctly the OP drives through the less than rich part of their own town and laughs at all the poor people who are homeless or barely getting by.
I would not put much stock in their opinion of anywhere.

PS ~~ OP, your title is written wrong as well, it should be
"I'm currently in Oahu and I have got to tell you it is my least favorite island"
Actually, it would be " I'm currently ON O'ahu..."

Old 01-03-2017, 02:33 PM

30 posts, read 55,408 times
I LOVE living in Honolulu, right in town with the hordes of residents and tourists -- a huge variety of activities and people to watch.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM

960 posts, read 1,219,100 times
Quote:
I think if Maui would stop growing just about now would be perfect. It's quite balanced. If you look at the island on Google Maps in a bird's eye view, you'll see that there's actually very little development and it's mainly in West and South Maui. There is an enormous amount of land that is not developed.
Is there any irony in complaining about the overpopulation and development of Oahu, while simultaneously looking to buy your own condo on Maui and, thus, personally contribute toward it's over-population ?

If you are concerned about the island's and their march toward over-population, perhaps it would be better not to look to perpetuate it by buying your own condo in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu