Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 01:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
youtube clips
Fantastic! I particularly enjoy those South Park ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 01:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
^

Haha good ones! But yeah, it's a classic catch 22. You go surfing or fishing (or whatever) and think it would be such a great spot if it wasn't so crowded all the time. Yet you yourself is adding to the problem.

Hope you're having a great new years. Love the discussion in your thread.
I think the OP should consider the Philippines....7000+ Islands. Most of them without development.

7 Islands that make up the 50th U.S. state is always going to have tourists trying to surf or see things. A tourist expecting to not see that, will always be disappointed.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
O'ahu is not a city.

I sorta liked downtown, liked the North Shore, but the locals certainly did not like me, and yes, the vibe on that island is not good in areas.
My sister loved, lived and worked on the North Shore for a decade dating a Samoan most of that time and she was never ever accepted by the Samoans or the NS . Although she loved all the islands she had to stay on O'ahu for work . She had an easier time in Hong Kong. I am sorry to hear how much Maui has grown . That was my favorite island , mom loved Kauai and the Big Island best

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I got the feeling that if you had enough money to insulate you, it might have been a different place.
Absolutely.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think the OP should consider the Philippines....7000+ Islands. Most of them without development.

7 Islands that make up the 50th U.S. state is always going to have tourists trying to surf or see things. A tourist expecting to not see that, will always be disappointed.
especially nowadays, in the age of social media. There are no more "secret" food/hiking/beach/camping/etc spots

Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

There are more than 7 islands that make up the "State of Hawaiʻi" -- it's more like 130+.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Islands#Islets

Old 01-28-2017, 07:48 PM

252 posts, read 519,849 times
I used to live in Kaimuki by Chaminade University for like 2 years and then I moved over to apartment in Waikiki. When I first visited Hawaii (Oahu) back in September for college in 2003 was kind of surprised of how sprawled out Honolulu is. Hawaii culturally was not for me I didn't fit in with the local culture it's really inclusive so I decided to leave and I realize that Oahu does have its charms and its beautiful beaches , tropical forests, Diamond Head, Posh and Touristy Waikiki, the North Shore etc but really I don't miss it , I had some great times though and made some good friends thats what important.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
There are more than 7 islands that make up the "State of Hawaiʻi" -- it's more like 130+.
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Islands#Islets[/URL]
Between some being under water half the time and others being unpopulated, that leaves 6. Kahoolawe and Niihau added make 8 stripes on the (current) standard. Arguably, we should thank KKI for not designing the flag with 130+ stripes on it! Kahoolawe has no people consistently on it, as far a I know and Niihau is private and native Hawaiian-only most of the time. So only the remaining 6 main islands are the ones most people would know much about. Hawaii really is way more than just a few islands, as you rightly point out. It is one of the most beautiful, diverse and unique places on the planet. I'm thankful for every sunrise and sunset I see here!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 PM

308 posts, read 411,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Some friggin people juss no get it.......................

Dats why hahd...........

But, Merry Christmas............. Sooo, one year, for Christmas, waaaaaaayyy friggin back in the 70's, we did a joint kalua pork/turkey imu for a bunch of friends, and put two pigs into the hole, and ten, COUNT EM, TEN!!!!! turkeys into the same smokin, red hot, river rock and kiawe wood/ember filled hole. Cover em up, after banana leaves, banana stalks, luau leaf, wet burlap, maybe few near empty,,,, uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, beer cans. Cover with dirt, set the timer.... HOURS LATER,,,,,,,,, ALL PAU.. It's Christmas, everyone all happy, looking forward to taking their pelehu or pua'a dinner home... AND, ONLY NINE, COUNT EM,,, NINE, FRIGGIN TURKEYS IN THE HOLE!!!!

All these years later, I still wonder, WHERE IN THE HELL DID THAT TURKEY GO??????

The Mysteries of the Islands
I don't know why, but this made me laugh like a hyena . Thanks once again for giving me a reason to smile or laugh.

BTW, that meal cookout reminds me of when I first married my (now Ex) hispanic husband. Our wedding reception meal was goat, buried in a similar hole in the front yard. I never knew goat could be so tender and delicious! I can just imagine what pigs and 9 or 10 turkeys would be like. Heaven on Earth, especially in Hawaii!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:23 PM

48 posts, read 76,345 times
Stay home then. You would just add to the "over population".

Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 PM

80 posts, read 89,077 times
Can't completely disagree with the OP. As a visitor, Oahu would be the last island I'd visit. It's crowded with real people living their lives, but also with lots of tourists. It honestly feels like 1 out of every 5 people is a tourist, and with the advent of vrbo, airbnb, yelp and social media all the good local spots are getting infiltrated by tourists, look at Kailua. It may feel worse to some because of the large amount of asian tourists, but there are just as much non-asian tourists. The tourism feels like it has only gotten worse over the years. It's also rather sad to see the recent explosion in expensive real estate development seemingly leaving locals in the dust. There seems to be an increase in new residents, either from the mainland or foreign country, along with more homeless (who may or may not be local) and more locals with deep Hawaii roots leaving for a more affordable lifestyle. Oahu is changing. Oahu does have its food scene and it probably has the largest collection of quality beaches. And of course Oahu has JOBS.

As for the outer islands, it's changing as well with more tourists, new residents, etc. On Big island you have those who want that romantic, off-the-grid, simple lifestyle on the cheap. Maui is Maui and Kauai is very different from 20 years ago. Lots of friends and family from Kauai lament the changes it's gone through, lots of investment for non-locals, tourists, snowbirders, etc. In proportion to population, I'd even say Kauai is more touristy than Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu