Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:47 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times

Advertisements

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE?

imagine if the population in Oahu was 150k tops

let me begin by saying I've been to all Hawaiian islands (including Molokai and Lanai), multiple times.

this is my second time on Oahu, last time I came here was around 5-6 years ago. reason why Im here is that I had forgotten the feel of it and wanted to check it out again because i keep getting calls from recruiters about job opportunities.

anyway, THANK GOD the majority of tourists are clueless about the real Hawaii, aka Big Island, Maui & Kauai.

Oahu is WAYYY overpopulated with all the major problems of any large city. Waikiki might as well be downtown LA with all the homeless. And lets not kid ourselves here, Waikiki beach is possibly the worst beach in Hawaii.

its actually quite sad what happened in Oahu with the over development. I also dont remember this island being this dirty either. my god, I bet the majority of tourists who come here are disappointed.

I see one good thing about Honolulu and its the food. other than that, no idea why anyone would live here. being surrounded by hoards of tourists by a crappy beach loaded with generic stores would probably make me want to commit suicide.

something else I noticed: the roads. I'm not even complaining about their crappy conditions, I'm talking about how they were designed. sooo confusing.

if I were to rank the 4 main islands, it would have to be like this:

1. Maui - lots of space, clean, balanced when it comes to nature and other things to do, not overdeveloped like Oahu.
2. Big Island - lots of space, clean, possibly the best beaches in Hawaii (Hapuna & Maniniowali), plenty of sunshine on the west side, and plenty of nature to explore.
3. Kauai Reason why it's #3 is because its too cloudy and rainy most of the time. Also, no beach really stands out compared to the other islands.
4. Oahu - nothing good about it besides the food in my opinion.

anyway, had to rant. should've gone to the Big Island again... oh well, next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 02:11 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Um, you're from West Hollywood.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:06 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
I bet the majority of tourists who come here are disappointed.
Must be why Hawaii is in the 6th year of record tourism with the overwhelming majority staying on Oahu.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:06 AM

26 posts, read 31,689 times
Oahu is my favorite because I like variety. You have a city at your fingertips, or take a drive and you can find deserted beaches. I love all of it, Waikiki, North Shore, Windward and the coves on the Leeward side. Would love to live there but for now real life and jobs limit us to two trips per year, which is pretty great in itself!

Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
There is a lot more to O'ahu than Honolulu.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:33 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

if I were to rank the 4 main islands, it would have to be like this:

2. Big Island - lots of space, clean, possibly the best beaches in Hawaii (Hapuna & Maniniowali), plenty of sunshine on the west side, and plenty of nature to explore.
3. Kauai Reason why it's #3 is because its too cloudy and rainy most of the time. Also, no beach really stands out compared to the other islands.

I think you need to go back to Kauai. "Cloudy and rainy most of the time?" I guess you never went to Poipu where it is always sunny! I've been to Kauai twice, for a total of about ten days, and I think we got rained on once. I love the whole island but especially hiking in Waimea Canyon. And Kauai has the BEST beaches. Did you not go to Hanalei, Anini Beach, Secret Beach, Poipu, etc. etc. etc.?

I agree that Maniniowali is gorgeous with the white, powdery sand and clear turquiose water, but I don't agree that the Big Island has the "best beaches in Hawaii".

Old 12-23-2016, 12:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
You're pretty clueless yourself.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:18 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You're pretty clueless yourself.
To whom are you addressing this comment?

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 12-23-2016 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: changed the grammar

Old 12-23-2016, 04:36 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
you should be glad most of the tourists hit Oahu (part of the reason it's so crowded), none of the other islands has the capacity for tourism demand for Hawaii. I do wish Oahu had several hundred thousand less people and way less development though.

Hawaii in genera (including Oahu) has good weather

Oahu actually has A LOT of beaches compared to the other islands. For the big island, you pretty much name the only 2 white sand beaches (that I know of). lol everything else is lava rock.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The OP gave us his/hers and I hope they feel better for getting all that off their chest.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu