Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 PM

70 posts, read 98,834 times

Advertisements

I wonder where the idea of the mythical $9 gallon of milk came from. So many people have told me that, but in my limited experience visiting Hawaii, I've never seen it for more than $6, and like you said it's usually on sale for less. Maybe people are buying milk in hotel gift shops, haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongAndLow View Post
I wonder where the idea of the mythical $9 gallon of milk came from. So many people have told me that, but in my limited experience visiting Hawaii, I've never seen it for more than $6, and like you said it's usually on sale for less. Maybe people are buying milk in hotel gift shops, haha!
Someone saw this at a store in Waikīkī a couple of years ago...

Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Someone saw this at a store in Waikīkī a couple of years ago...
ABC store. Would not find that price at Safeway, Foodland, Times.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:37 PM

Geez, I don't even think Whole Foods is that expensive!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Like many others out there, I only drink organic milk these days... $13.49 for 3 half gallon containers from Costco Iwilei. That is $4.50 for half a gallon of organic milk. The average cost nationally for half a gallon of organic milk is $3.86. So it's a whopping 64 cent premium on Oahu when compared to the average store anywhere in the mainland US. That's $1.28/gallon. Whew, talk about breaking the bank.

How many gallons of milk does the average person drink a month anyway?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1f18b393beba

The per capita consumption of milk is .8 cups/day. That means a gallon lasts 20 days. So 18.25 gallons per year.

So we are talking $23/YEAR difference in milk costs if you drank organic milk. If you drank the cheap stuff, you are paying a little bit more - about $32/year premium over your milk chugging mainland counterparts.

Chances are you are paying $32 more per DAY in higher housing costs than the average person in the mainland.

Puts into perspective how ridiculous the supposed high cost of milk here is as a supporting argument to our high cost of living.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM

I've always thought the same thing. How much milk does a person buy that a couple of dollars more a gallon is going to make a difference in your quality of life? I guess people just extrapolate that if milk is this expensive, then everything else must be more expensive than the mainland in equal measure.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,024 times
Default Blended learning schools ( charter schools)

I am from Westside Oahu, so, just giving you another view of some teachers who have relocated here in Oahu, and where they ended up teaching.. a couple of teachers I know live in the North Shore, because they love to surf.. that brought them to the islands. one landed a job at a blended learning school, and the beauty of it is, he goes to school 2x a week only to do face to face classes, while he teaches virtually 3x a week from his home. You might want to google these blended learning schools, too.. I know of one, Hawaii Technology Academy. It's not homeschooling, as the curriculum follows K-12, but, the strategy and implementation, I think, is great. Teach 2 hours a day, and you have the rest of the day for your other interests! Hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:42 PM

1,062 posts, read 983,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafemmenikita1 View Post
Yeah, Kailua is a too in demand area, because it's more diverse, aka more white people, and they usually have money.
You're more likely to get hired on the Leeward side, where the schools are rougher and you might be the only haole.
I'm not sure of the process, but now is a great time to start applying. It's good for them to have your resume on file, but it's unlikely that they'll start interviewing or hiring until later in the Spring.
What do you teach?
Also, is it just you coming or do you have dependents? The Hawaii teacher salary might seem like a lot, but it really isn't. I grew up there and I currently teach in Texas. Last year, I saw so many fb posts about how Hawaii needs teachers, but I wasn't even tempted because I have a family and I know that we can't afford to live there. It's $10 for a gallon of milk at a local grocery store.
Everybody with any money at all, and even those who don't have money, take out loans, just to put their kids in private school. So much so, that 'where did you go to school?' is the first question that anyone there will ask you once they know that you are kama aina, and then they will scornfully laugh when they find out that you went to a public school.
It's happened to me countless times even though I went to one of the best public schools on Oahu.
If you're still interested, I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Teachers in Austin don't live in Austin because they can't afford to. At least Oahu teachers live on Oahu!

Old 01-10-2017, 05:51 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Teachers in Austin don't live in Austin because they can't afford to. At least Oahu teachers live on Oahu!
Austin is an island?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,004 times
My brother just retired from teaching at a well known Private School on Oahu after 34 yrs...
He is selling his house for more than 2x what he originally paid for it and moving back to the Mainland..
with he and his wife both retiring, their economic lifestyle would take some major adjusting if they wanted to stay on Oahu.
Median house range in Kailua is close to a Million, maybe 950,000 USD..I think the price went up about 3.5% last year.. I believe..
you might want to consider the Leeward side as someone else suggested..

I have visited the Islands 25 times since 1982... got married on Kaui'i on my Uncles Anini beach Anini cottage in 1987..that he bought in 1972 for 169,000.

Those days are long gone :-)

I always wanted to retire to the Islands but reality got in the way..

bought a Beachfront place in Rincón PR instead..my second favorite place on this planet....only 156 more monthly payments to go..haha.

Good Luck in your endeavors..Oahu certainly is a lovely, magical, and spiritual place.
Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu