Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
My brother just retired from teaching at a well known Private School on Oahu after 34 yrs...
He is selling his house for more than 2x what he originally paid for it and moving back to the Mainland..
with he and his wife both retiring, their economic lifestyle would take some major adjusting if they wanted to stay on Oahu.
That makes no sense to say their economic lifestyle would take major adjusting or you are leaving out major parts of the story.

A teacher who has full retirement benefits after 34 years (likely full salary and benefits) and especially owns a home on Oahu should have little or no impact on their economic lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:03 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,400 times
Sum mattah...you wan' beef, Haole?
givin' me stink mout' hah?

No, there are no parts left out of the story..my SIL is a successful broker at the major Brokerage firm on the Island..They spend their summers traveling the world..

They have visited 32 different countries..my SIL hasn't retired yet but soon will, yes, they both have a great pension plan, and through her savvy business and investment acumen they have established themselves quite pretty , financially.

They just see this as a great opportunity, to leave Oahu, return to the mainland as a base..they have already purchased a small home in Central America ..and are negotiating on another home, a 'fixer upper' in Tuscany.
Mid-Atlantic state chosen as their home base..

I take umbrage to the fact that you would tell me their decision makes no sense..You are making assumptions..
If you can make assumptions, so can I...
Here is one...
Mod cut: rude

Last edited by Mikala43; 01-19-2017 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 PM

70 posts, read 98,860 times
He didn't say their decision doesn't make sense, he said your description of their economic situation doesn't make sense. In fairness, from your follow up description, it doesn't sound like they are moving for financial reasons, but rather because they want to invest in other properties and travel the world from a more convenient home base.

Maybe you should read people's responses more closely before you hurl insults.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:32 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,400 times
Maybe you should go back to your crossword puzzle...or your front porch, yelling at kids to
'Get off my lawn!'

Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 PM

354 posts, read 438,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFHNL View Post
We live in the SF Bay Area, and any time I've shopped at Safeway on Oahu the prices have been the same as they are here, except the occasional milk (never have seen it $10 though) and eggs. Everything else the same so no sticker shock here. This is the same as people who say how do you afford to go to Hawaii so much, isn't every hotel room $400/night?

If that were the case we'd never be able to visit, but luckily we get to go twice per year. I'd love to live there some day.
I am sorry, this is going to be mean, but you are talking out of your ass. Food here in HI is much more expensive than in the bay area. There is no where in the bay area that bread is 5-7$ per loaf or a head of cabbage is $6 or milk is $8.00/gallon or blueberries at $10 1/2 pint or salmon at $25.00/lb. Those are daily prices you see here in HI and I am on the Big Island which is the cheapest of them all.

Everything is more expensive here than in the Bay Area and that includes pineapple which we grow here.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,204,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
I am sorry, this is going to be mean, but you are talking out of your ass. Food here in HI is much more expensive than in the bay area. There is no where in the bay area that bread is 5-7$ per loaf or a head of cabbage is $6 or milk is $8.00/gallon or blueberries at $10 1/2 pint or salmon at $25.00/lb. Those are daily prices you see here in HI and I am on the Big Island which is the cheapest of them all.

Everything is more expensive here than in the Bay Area and that includes pineapple which we grow here.
Actually groceries and maybe gas/diesel are the only thing a little more expensive on Oahu yhan in the Bay Area, but the Bay Area is WAY more expensive overall than Honolulu or any other part of Hawaii.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
Those are daily prices you see here in HI and I am on the Big Island which is the cheapest of them all.
Huh? You seriously think BI grocery prices are the cheapest in HI? I hate to give you a reality check but groceries are drastically higher on the BI compared to Oahu.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:38 PM

354 posts, read 438,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Huh? You seriously think BI grocery prices are the cheapest in HI? I hate to give you a reality check but groceries are drastically higher on the BI compared to Oahu.
I meant that the Big Island is the cheapest Island to live on. I am thinking more housing wise than groceries. I haven't priced groceries on Oahu. Can you tell me why it is cheaper there than here?

Old 01-19-2017, 01:31 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Huh? groceries are drastically higher on the BI compared to Oahu.
Really? Have you compared prices at Costco on both islands? What about KTA, Foodland, and Cost U Less?

Old 01-19-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Really? Have you compared prices at Costco on both islands? What about KTA, Foodland, and Cost U Less?
It's not even close. It's a good 10% to 20% more on the big Island depending on the item item compared to Oahu.

Same goes for Maui and Kauai. Far more expensive than Oahu.

Just look at a Safeway flyer for the different islands to see how dramatic the price differences are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu