Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Well, I would be on that list.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Yup, I'd be on that list, too. A lot of it depends on when folks move over (their age as well as the current economic times) as well as what kind of life they're expecting and how willing they are to scrabble about for a bit. IMHO, YMMV.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:12 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
In addition to "moving over with no job", it would be interesting to see what experience people brought with them and what kinds of jobs people found when they got to Oahu. Didn't someone do a survey about that once?

Old 07-27-2017, 01:14 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
In addition to "moving over with no job", it would be interesting to see what experience people brought with them and what kinds of jobs people found when they got to Oahu. Didn't someone do a survey about that once?
sounds like someone just volunteered

Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Does being Retired qualify as having no job?

Seems like there is a lot of rich folks from the Mainland that have moved to the Islands.
They seem pretty vocal here too.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 AM

95 posts, read 296,263 times
Secret #1.... In Hawaii, it's not so much what you know but "who" you know. Small tight knit community for the most part, especially if you work in private sector. If you go for a federal government job, you'll do much better if you don't know anyone as hiring process / laws make it harder for some one to ********* over if you don't have a "local" connection.

Secret #2, refer to secret #1 again before you move......

Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Yup, definitely who you know matters, or better yet, who knows you. I once called a job listing in the newspapers and when the person who answered the phone recognized my voice, he just said 'Hey, you're hired! Get over here!" I still didn't know who he was or exactly where or what company it was. I think I'd said maybe a dozen words. It did turn out to be a good job and I knew how to do the work, but I was hired because they knew who I was more so than anything else, I think.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
well, that's impressive.!

If I ever need a job on Oahu, when I apply, I am going to say 'Hotcatz sent me.'

Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
well, that's impressive.!

If I ever need a job on Oahu, when I apply, I am going to say 'Hotcatz sent me.'
Ditto!!!

Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, definitely who you know matters, or better yet, who knows you. I once called a job listing in the newspapers and when the person who answered the phone recognized my voice, he just said 'Hey, you're hired! Get over here!" I still didn't know who he was or exactly where or what company it was. I think I'd said maybe a dozen words. It did turn out to be a good job and I knew how to do the work, but I was hired because they knew who I was more so than anything else, I think.
Completely agree. After my first few jobs here, I never submitted a resume - I was always recruited out by people who knew me or companies I interacted with frequently. A couple times it was an actual head hunter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: