Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 32,377 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Oahu in May for school (18 years old).
I want to work there, and have heard many times that there are many Japanese tourists, and people living in Hawaii (especially Oahu).
I'm not Japanese, but I can speak close to fluent Japanese.

Will this make it easier to find any jobs in Hawaii? (For a student I mean)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 AM

7,913 posts, read 934,657 times
yes you should be able to get a good job.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:52 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,765 times
Suppose it would depend on the type of job. Bilingual never hurts though

Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
The tour companies are always looking for reliable Japanese-speakers. Not top wages but steady work. Front desk job in hotels would also work for you and if you can find a place that offers evening hours you might be able to get in some studying when they're not busy. You'd probably save time going through an agency- just don't pay them anything. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,390 times
You would definitely be able to find a job in the hospitality industry- whether it is front desk, in the restaurant, concierge or whatever.

Perhaps you would want to look at classifieds for the Advertiser or Star Bulletin, but I am sure you can find something when you get here!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 32,377 times
Thank you everyone for your replies!
Really appreciated.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 15,840 times
Default Multilingual

Hey there!
I speak fluent Japanese, Thai, Lao, Hindi, Sindhi and Urdu.
Any suggestions on jobs that I can look for.
Currently is Hi End Auto sales but need a career change.
Have 10+ years management expeirience.
Thanks for your help

Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Most of the Japanese speaking jobs in Hawaii are service related and don't pay all that well but being able to speak Japanese will improve your chances of finding a job. The Japanese visitor count numbers have been dropping along with the rest of the tourist numbers but having any edge at all while applying for work should be a bonus.

I think Japanese folks are about the only group which sends enough folks to Hawaii that employers are looking to hire speakers to talk to them in their native language. There are the occasional groups of European language speakers who use some limited amounts of European speaking service people but unless the folks whose language you speak send lots of tourists to Hawaii there may not be much call for employment in those languages.

There may be the occasional interpreter type job, but I don't know if you need any sort of certification for that or not.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 10,493 times
I have lived in Japan for more than 20 years. As a young lad I worked in the tour desk and airport service with a Japanese company that actually paid very well. I am planning to return next year and look for a job, but wonder if a 45 year old male (even with my experience) can actually find a job in the bilingual industry. My experience is high management, but how would that look on my resume and how would U.S. companies be capable of talking to my references. I fear that I would look too over qualified since I was the senior executive manager of a company since 1999. Then I handed it over to my partner who practically destroyed it even though I continued to watch over the books. This is a very tought situation and something that I have wondered how to explain to a new employer when returning to the United States, expecially Hawaii.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,246 times
hi! I'm a filipina who 's been here in Japan for a decade and a half.I very eager to work in an english speaking country. I can speak japanese well. Is it possible for me to aquire a job in Hawaii despite my age?Im 40 years old.Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu