Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 11:38 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlabeled View Post
That's why I think a decline would be slight. Affordable housing draws millionaires from the mainland seeking greener pastures and blue-er waters. It lacks the understated elegance of SoCal or the intellectual invigoration of Silicon Valley but it's nice enough to keep property values high.

By the way, I think you're right about the 30-day leases. I booked and paid for more than a month in an Airbnb on the Big Island but stayed for a mere 2 weeks. I informed the owner that I was vacating early so that he would have the opportunity to find another occupant and make extra money.
Yep, which is why the vacation rental association in question sued the government. Ultimately, though, a refund may not even be necessary for such a scheme to work if the monthly price is reasonable in itself compared to, say, what the weekly or bi-weekly price would typically be for such a unit. There are multiple ways I could envision this workaround working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 05:47 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Doesn't have to be through Airbnb . . . there are other short term vacation rental sites and, trust, they will adapt to make money if they aren't already set up for such a scheme. And, ultimately, whether to refund someone will be up to the property owner. There will be a go around, and the vacation rental association is already envisioning it, which is why it is seeking a settlement with the government on the grounds that it is.
low hanging fruit. Much as with ride sharing, there are alternatives off the platforms. You can ride share via craigslist, facebooks, text, email, whatever. But having to use alternate means from the main platforms makes it much more difficult. As other rental platforms mature and become popular, they will simply be added to the list of companies that need to comply.

A scheme where the owner rents out for 30 days for below market rates can unfold if you get a bunch of vacationers deciding to actually take them up on the 30 day offer. Telling friends, family whoever, that they rented out a house for $700 for the entire month, and they can stay there after their vacation is done. As a landlord, you will run into A LOT of trouble attempting to double book your place when you run into overlapping tenants. The whole reason airbnb works is because it's a vacationing platform that doesnt screw up the scheduling, which is a problem you'll run into playing the 30 day game.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
low hanging fruit. Much as with ride sharing, there are alternatives off the platforms. You can ride share via craigslist, facebooks, text, email, whatever. But having to use alternate means from the main platforms makes it much more difficult. As other rental platforms mature and become popular, they will simply be added to the list of companies that need to comply.

A scheme where the owner rents out for 30 days for below market rates can unfold if you get a bunch of vacationers deciding to actually take them up on the 30 day offer. Telling friends, family whoever, that they rented out a house for $700 for the entire month, and they can stay there after their vacation is done. As a landlord, you will run into A LOT of trouble attempting to double book your place when you run into overlapping tenants. The whole reason airbnb works is because it's a vacationing platform that doesnt screw up the scheduling, which is a problem you'll run into playing the 30 day game.
Definitely a risk, but there are ways to mitigate so the risk of what you describe happening is not very high (charging a certain amount, requiring flight itineraries, only allowing people whose names are on the lease to occupy the unit or else requiring someone on the lease be physically present if guests are over, etc.); I think folks will be fine via a new booking mechanism, though, especially as airbnb dries up with listings as the new law is enforced (that is, unless airbnb itself doesn't change its policies for Hawaii listings in order to stay in the game) and word of mouth spreads about new ways to book vacation rents on Oahu. Hell, I'd imagine that there's even a way to still use Airbnb now that would just involve the property owner cutting a check for the unused days

Note, I don't expect this new culture to develop overnight/instantly, but its something that I'm hoping allows people to rent out their property still as they have been doing before.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Definitely a risk, but there are ways to mitigate so the risk of what you describe happening is not very high (charging a certain amount, requiring flight itineraries, only allowing people whose names are on the lease to occupy the unit or else requiring someone on the lease be physically present if guests are over, etc.); I think folks will be fine via a new booking mechanism, though, especially as airbnb dries up with listings as the new law is enforced (that is, unless airbnb itself doesn't change its policies for Hawaii listings in order to stay in the game) and word of mouth spreads about new ways to book vacation rents on Oahu. Hell, I'd imagine that there's even a way to still use Airbnb now that would just involve the property owner cutting a check for the unused days
Ha ha

Not

Ever

Going

to

Happen

Ever

Hilarious

Old 09-01-2019, 02:20 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
<SNIP>
Note, I don't expect this new culture to develop overnight/instantly, but its something that I'm hoping allows people to rent out their property still as they have been doing before.

The vacation rentals in residential neighborhoods is the problem, enough of a problem to get legislation involved. Why do you think folks are going to be good with whatever 'work around' is found? As population density increases, misbehavior (in this case, renting to tourists in areas that aren't set up for it) will just be more noticeable.

So far it's not become violent, but if a neighborhood gets fed up enough with an illegal rental, wouldn't things like trash being thrown in the yard start happening? Maybe graffiti on the doors? Even breaking things? Yes, all that is illegal, but so is renting out a property to tourists and disturbing a quiet neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:52 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
there are still a lot of illegal units advertised on AirBnb. Listings with no physical address or NUC permit listed. But hopefully as enforcement gets going they will disappear.

I doubt many tourists would be comfortable signing a 30 day rental agreement and paying for 30 days and then hoping they get their money back if they leave early. I wouldn’t do it.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

I doubt many tourists would be comfortable signing a 30 day rental agreement and paying for 30 days and then hoping they get their money back if they leave early. I wouldn’t do it.
Nobody would.

Most of the illegal rentals are off the site with a couple of holdouts. I see 4 in Kailua where previously I'd see dozens of entire homes for rent.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The vacation rentals in residential neighborhoods is the problem, enough of a problem to get legislation involved. Why do you think folks are going to be good with whatever 'work around' is found? As population density increases, misbehavior (in this case, renting to tourists in areas that aren't set up for it) will just be more noticeable.

So far it's not become violent, but if a neighborhood gets fed up enough with an illegal rental, wouldn't things like trash being thrown in the yard start happening? Maybe graffiti on the doors? Even breaking things? Yes, all that is illegal, but so is renting out a property to tourists and disturbing a quiet neighborhood.
They don't have to be good with it, but there's only so much the government can do here without hampering others and possibly running afoul of the law itself.

Also, there's a big difference between vandalizing someone else's property and finding a workaround a vacation rental law regulating what you can do with your own property. Also, the workarounds I envision aren't illegal per se, though they violate the spirit of the law.

Trust, folks aren't just going to give up offering short term vacation rentals, but will find workarounds as the vacation rental association settlement is already alluding to.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
there are still a lot of illegal units advertised on AirBnb. Listings with no physical address or NUC permit listed. But hopefully as enforcement gets going they will disappear.

I would, especially if I'm in a group and we split payment and if the rental contract makes clear that anyone staying for less time will not be penalized and will get the difference back. In such a case, there's a legally binding document.

Also, it doesn't have to be such a high 30 day price that will turn people off from paying. But it also can't be so low as to invite people to abuse the process and stay for the full 30 days as they are getting a "steal."

Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 AM

406 posts, read 865,445 times
Quote:
I would, especially if I'm in a group and we split payment and if the rental contract makes clear that anyone staying for less time will not be penalized and will get the difference back. In such a case, there's a legally binding document.

Also, it doesn't have to be such a high 30 day price that will turn people off from paying. But it also can't be so low as to invite people to abuse the process and stay for the full 30 days as they are getting a "steal."

Hhhmmmmmmm.......a legally binding document for an illegal operation. Veeerrrrrryyyyyyy iiiiiinnnttterrresting!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu