Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 11:14 PM

30 posts, read 50,157 times

Advertisements

Their competition is just not bottom of the barrel types anymore. UH could catch lightning in a bottle and blow out WAC level teams consistently. Best of the worst so to say.

MWC is no WAC.

Better baseball level is no WAC

PS: re Trepasso-Is UH on a twenty year plan for success................hahahahahaha. Even Don Robbs has doubts.

Better basketball conf is no WAC.

NO matter who UH hired for football, they gonna lose. Bill Bellichick couldn't win @ Hawaii. Neither Jimmie Jansen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 07:25 PM

102 posts, read 118,719 times
Ever heard of coach June Jones? Wish we could get him back or a coach like him. On football it is always difficult to recruit for Hawai'i. Its not a top tier program for football despite its glamorous location. It is also not like Hawai'i state doesn't have top highschool athletes either. Hawai'i consistently produces some of the best offensive lineman, linebackers and Qbs in the country. It just times have changed and priorities have changed on the island. There used to be a time it didn't matter what the 'bows' record was you had consistent support. But with rising costs of tickets and the changing attitudes seats sit empty.

In other sports Hawai'i does fairly good, Both kane and wahine basketball teams went to the dance this year. The wahine volleyball team is also always good and ranked and wahine softball is medium to great at times. Kane teams tend to be more average. But for a state that only has about a million people. Hawai'i does good.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:59 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
In other sports Hawai'i does fairly good,
University of Hawaii's surfing team, and OC6 team, will kick University of Nebraska's surfing or paddling team any day of the week. Same goes with Penn State, Oklahoma, Ol Miss, Notre Dame, Perdue, any of those mainland schools...

Football, not so much

Old 01-14-2021, 05:29 PM

1,014 posts, read 480,921 times
We're fair weather fans of baseball. Very much sporadic watching. As far as I can remember in 1984 when the new stadium was built. We went for 10 years without watching a single game. Then started watching again. Then stopped watching. Over the years I remember a few names along the way. I guess many generations have their own names to up hold. When I was watching it closely then, it was names like Mario Monico, Marcus Owens, Greg Oniate, Paul Brown, Jason Espiritu, Robert Mohammed, Dan Nisen, Coach Les Murakami, Larry Gonzales, and a host of other names I cannot think of yet. But they were there. I remember seeing a ball hit out to right field and over the fence by Johnny Matias. He hit 30 in his career with these names. They were all good players. Then I never heard of the rest of them. They went on to play MLB and pitching careers under Mike Trapasso. I cannot recall ever hearing those names. So it all comes down to which era you wanted to remember. The baseball season have been a mediocre team for a long time. And once again, not very much interested in Hawai'i baseball. Not watching any more.

I am from the Honolulu area.

Last edited by tyCable; 01-14-2021 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 12:40 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,921 times
Default College sports is dead UofHawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
University of Hawaii's surfing team, and OC6 team, will kick University of Nebraska's surfing or paddling team any day of the week. Same goes with Penn State, Oklahoma, Ol Miss, Notre Dame, Perdue, any of those mainland schools...

Football, not so much
Yeah. Any day we kick their ass to Hong Kong. Hawai'i lives and breathes Ocean and waves. Incredible. I'd say it's a normal thing to like surfing in Hawai'i. Even though you don't surf. Just that all over the news. I mean back street news. Behind the scenes.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:53 AM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
You know, I never went to any UH sporting events during my first stint in Hawaii, and I love college sports. But this had to do more so with my work schedule (watch and deployment) that led me not wanting to do a whole lot in my free time.

When I next get back out there to live, however, I intend to attend more college sporting events.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:23 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,257,586 times
The Wife and I went to a football game at Aloha Stadium in 2018. Hawaii played Wyoming and Hawaii came back to win the game in come back fashion. It has been the only College game I saw for all these years living in the Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: