Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:44 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times

Advertisements

On Maui, cops often set up radar traps on the Lahaina Bypass Road under the Lahainaluna bridge. It puts them in the shade and makes them harder to notice. Fortunately, oncoming motorists flash their headlights at you as a warning. This is an imported mainland strategy that is much-appreciated.

Coming out of Kahului towards the intersection with the Honoapiilani Hwy, radar cops in unmarked late-model Suburbans prey upon the newly-arrived headed for the West Side.

In the past year I've noticed many more police in unmarked, random-brand, vehicles ticketing the unsuspecting around Lahaina.

Meanwhile, Locals making rolling stops at intersections don't seem to attract their attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 06:46 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Street cleaning tickets are $50 and towing at least $100.
That is just highway robbery.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3D&FORM=VDQVAP

Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
Quote:
Heads up - Slow down folks - use Waze. What I'd rather they do is do something about the red light running - far worse here than most places on the mainland.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s completely insane how many people run the red lights. I see them do it all the time, and right in front of police cars. Nothing happens. Super low hanging fruit that would make a bigger difference in public safety.

Quote:
4 tickets an hour seems pretty aggressive when you think about all things that need to happen -

Get set up - find a speeder - get him/her pulled over - run the plate - have the inevitable discussion (do you know why I pulled you over, license and registration - the back and forth) - run the drivers license - write the actual ticket(s) - go back to the driver and explain everything - send him/her on their way - and either go back to a staging area or set up again.....
Haha...takes longer than that. They have to get 4 other cars there so they can all stand around for an hour while they make you wait. (except on the freeway)

I’ve seen the speed traps on the H1 and H2, started ramping up last month.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
[quote=Dthraco;60522250
Haha...takes longer than that. They have to get 4 other cars there so they can all stand around for an hour while they make you wait. (except on the freeway)
[/QUOTE]

The same thing happens on Maui. Why does it take so many to write a simple traffic citation?

It sounds like the opening line of a joke: "How many police does it take to write one ticket in Hawaii?"

Old 03-03-2021, 11:10 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Fun fact for everyone - on Oahu, if you show up while they are hooking your car or have it already hooked up, they are obligated at no charge to release the car back to you - on the other hand, a lot of tow truck drivers will ignore your plea despite the law.
Where did you come up with that? The tow truck operator is not at all required to release the vehicle. Think about how ridiculous that would be... someone calls a tow truck to tow a car, dispatcher sends message to driver to tow the car, tow truck driver drives to location and goes through the time and trouble to hook the car up (which sometimes is not very easy depending on the situation), once the tow truck driver is done (30-45 mins after the call), the car owner runs up and says hey give me my car, then he just drops it down and drives off, all free of charge? Not advocating for tow truck companies but if someone is parked illegally, they should either pay a fee or get their car towed. There is zero grey area here.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:15 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Where did you come up with that? The tow truck operator is not at all required to release the vehicle. Think about how ridiculous that would be... someone calls a tow truck to tow a car, dispatcher sends message to driver to tow the car, tow truck driver drives to location and goes through the time and trouble to hook the car up (which sometimes is not very easy depending on the situation), once the tow truck driver is done (30-45 mins after the call), the car owner runs up and says hey give me my car, then he just drops it down and drives off, all free of charge? Not advocating for tow truck companies but if someone is parked illegally, they should either pay a fee or get their car towed. There is zero grey area here.
Yes, how ridiculous indeed.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2010/...%20vehicle.%22

Legislators changed Hawaii’s tow truck laws in 2008 to say, "If the vehicle is in the process of being hooked up or is hooked up to the tow truck and the owner appears on the scene, the towing company shall unhook the vehicle and shall not charge any fee to the owner of the vehicle."

In making the changes to island tow truck law, state legislators also repealed the old $50 "drop fee" to unhook a vehicle, eliminating any charge to release a car to an owner who’s on the scene.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Heads up - Slow down folks - use Waze. What I'd rather they do is do something about the red light running - far worse here than most places on the mainland.

Honolulu police officers who are participating in a speed enforcement grant program this month will have to pull over at least four drivers every hour.
It's about time the cops got serious about speeding. Did you hear about the death and serious injury on H-1 at 11 p.m. last night? Cause of death? Yup, you guessed it... SPEEDING.

It's not that I care if these speeders take their own lives, it's that they are endangering others in the process.

I agree that pulling someone over for going 2 mph is unwarranted and there should be a minimum threshold before they are even legally allowed to pull someone over... say 5-7 mph over the posted speed limit. But I am 100% for increased enforcement for all speeders going at least 10 mph over the posted speed limit. And significant penalties for going 15 mph over the speed limit... and automatic license revoked for 90 days if going 20+ mph over the speed limit.

Speeding enforcement is among the lowest in the nation here. While not popular and definitely not wanted by the posters on this forum, I hope they bring back the van cams. Send out $300 speeding tickets to everyone going 15+ mph over the speed limit. This will get people to slow down. And if you're against such a policy, you are only part of the problem.

Like they say, this ain't the mainland... slow down.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, how ridiculous indeed.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2010/...%20vehicle.%22

Legislators changed Hawaii’s tow truck laws in 2008 to say, "If the vehicle is in the process of being hooked up or is hooked up to the tow truck and the owner appears on the scene, the towing company shall unhook the vehicle and shall not charge any fee to the owner of the vehicle."

In making the changes to island tow truck law, state legislators also repealed the old $50 "drop fee" to unhook a vehicle, eliminating any charge to release a car to an owner who’s on the scene.
Well this is Hawaii and our legislators have the average mental capacity of a toaster oven. So not a surprise. This is probably why I notice tow truck operators driving recklessly to pick up vehicles and haphazardly rushing to hook up cars, which likely results in damaged vehicles in the process. Because if they don't get in and out at a drop of a hat, they don't get paid and they have to eat the costs of the call. I'm sure this also jacked up the cost of all tow rates across the state as tow companies will have to make up for the losses they incur due to this law. Genius.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:34 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I'm sure this also jacked up the cost of all tow rates across the state as tow companies will have to make up for the losses they incur due to this law.
I highly doubt many people even know about this law - literally a fraction of the population. It isn't like the tow truck driver has to volunteer the information.

I'm sure the typical interaction is like - hey hey hey - don't tow my car, please please please - tow truck driver, sorry buddy - and leaves with the car.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:10 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
Quote:
I highly doubt many people even know about this law - literally a fraction of the population. It isn't like the tow truck driver has to volunteer the information.

I'm sure the typical interaction is like - hey hey hey - don't tow my car, please please please - tow truck driver, sorry buddy - and leaves with the car.
I can attest to this. My wife popped into my workplace to drop off a box and when she came out, the tow truck driver had the car connected. She told him to put it down and he told her, sorry it’s already hooked up. She told him again and he complied. But if she wasn’t a confident person he would have drove off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu