Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 PM

190 posts, read 849,288 times

Advertisements

I've read on a few posts that it's growing severe. I don't know if anyone has ever seen skid row in LA but try to imagine 90,000 bodies crammed into a five block by 7 block radius. On the few occasions I've braved a drive there, they are literally shoulder to shoulder in some spots and you take your life in your hands just walking around breathing of the air. How is Hawaii in comparison these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,905,080 times
Oahu, in particular, is LOADED with homeless and seriously f*&@%$d up drug addicts. But they won't bother you hardly at all with regard to panhandling or harassment. The welfare support system and easy climate, combined with public facilities (showers, toilets, etc) all along the beaches, make it a snooze for such unfortunates to survive. Just watch your watch and wallet. Petty stuff.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Have you been to Hawaii, JoeyT? Your questions seem as though your interest in moving there has developed out of virtual visits — and not from your feet on the beach.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I;ve been there about 5 times, loved it every time. Seen every island except Molokai. I do love to get info on every aspect of it.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyT View Post
Yeah, I;ve been there about 5 times, loved it every time. Seen every island except Molokai. I do love to get info on every aspect of it.
Ummm ... I see ... well, sir, it does seem as though you may have spent your visits in pretty much the tourist groove and locations then ... and it is certainly easy to get an idyllic impression from that. And a good idea to dig past the marketing image, as well, before you move.

You know, people who are overly worrisome are generally eaten alive by the locals and the local pace and style ... like mosquitos eat the only breathing body by a jungle pool right after a rain when the wind dies down. You will find that daily life doing simple things like standing in lines to get your license tabs, or trying to get service for your A/C or car problems, get your new furniture delivered, etc. is going to make you crazy, unless I read you wrong. If the surf's up, or it's break time, or you seem anything less than completely relaxed you will find the locals either absent or subtly and deliberately ignoring you and toying with you — and often taking every possible advantage of you. Unless you can afford to live right in Waikiki with hotel services and tourist restaurants.

Really, brah ... they gonna eat you outside of Waikiki. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,706 times
Quote:
I've read on a few posts that it's growing severe. I don't know if anyone has ever seen skid row in LA but try to imagine 90,000 bodies crammed into a five block by 7 block radius. On the few occasions I've braved a drive there, they are literally shoulder to shoulder in some spots and you take your life in your hands just walking around breathing of the air. How is Hawaii in comparison these days?
Joey, nothing is Hawaii is as bad or worse than LA, I can tell you that, especially concerning crime, traffic, and homelessness.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 AM

Well, glad to hear that! If I can survive Cali, then Hawaii will be a piece of cake!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,706 times
Quote:
Well, glad to hear that! If I can survive Cali, then Hawaii will be a piece of cake!
well helloooo....i think that's what we've all been tellin ya

Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,221 times
Its going to get cold in Minnesota soon for being homless. What are overall chances in Honolulu?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM

369 posts, read 777,374 times
The fact LA has 90,000 homeless people is irrelevant. Although that is a large number, there is also a larger overall population in LA (5 million maybe???). The numbers that would matter the most is per capita. I don't know how many homeless people there are in oahu. (i've never seen a number). But if you can imagine a beach about 2 miles long with tents everywhere...then you can get a pretty good idea about the homeless problem (this is on the leeward coast). There are other homeless elsewhere, but this is byfar the largest homeless community on the islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: