Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM

35 posts, read 147,540 times

Advertisements

Ok so we are moving in OCT and my office is in downtown Honolulu and we are looking at the windward side of the island. Is the commute able to be done as my hours are flexible, but I have to be able to get to all the area hospitals within an hour? We are looking primarily in Kaneohe or the bay also in Hawii Kai. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 AM

399 posts, read 1,551,575 times
Default Aloha...

I used to live in Kaneohe Marine Corps Base for about 4.5 years, and also in Kaneohe town and Kahala before departure...

From my experience, depending on hours of the day, you can make the trip across H3 (the fastest way most of the time) to the town in around 25 minutes. From the main hospitals, maybe add about 10 more just for traffic in town. But the highway goes quick, in regards to no heavy rain or accidents in the tunnel.

It's one of the best places I have ever lived to be stuck in traffic, tell you that, I still remember coming down the Pali Highway and seeing the water level higher than the building level (due to going downhill) It was really beautiful.

I would say in the thickest of traffic, meaning accidents, people driving slow and stupid, and even H3 kinda plugged, I wouldn't plan on more than an hour to get home. It's a quick jaunt once you get on H3. Enjoy your aina!

ADDED: I lived in Kahala, just about ten minutes down the K(reallylongtosay) Highway...Kalananiole (butchered, I know!) Right when H1 ends, it's pretty fast paced, and the H1 tapers off to the K with little to no warning, from then it's a decent short drive to the area. I lived in Kahala Kua for about half a year...(got lucky I Know, found a nice quarters up there on side of a house, and still to this day, have not found a better room for the money in Key West!) I will tell you when I went into town, it seems to be a real congested spot during rush hour, after work and in the morning. But H1, like H3, moves pretty fast, and the most you may see is a mile of slow moving traffic-still, no horns! Not bad for a large city like HNL. Anybody from SO California can chime in now, if you have been on the 405 in rush hour...YIKES! Once was enough for me!

Nick

Last edited by Ghostgecko; 08-09-2008 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Hawaii Kai addition...

Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,947,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiekierka View Post
Ok so we are moving in OCT and my office is in downtown Honolulu and we are looking at the windward side of the island. Is the commute able to be done as my hours are flexible, but I have to be able to get to all the area hospitals within an hour? We are looking primarily in Kaneohe or the bay also in Hawii Kai. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm retired so don't commute regularly, but once a month I meet friends at 7AM for breakfast at Sam Choys Breakfast Lunch and Crab on Nimitz near the cannery, across from KMart. I live in Kailua in Enchanted Lake (Awakea Rd).

Leaving at 6:15, it takes me about 35 minutes.

Hank

Old 08-10-2008, 12:05 PM

35 posts, read 147,540 times
Thank you both for your responce, think we may stay looking at the side off the island it just seems like we would be able to experience more not living in the touristy area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu