Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM

209 posts, read 723,041 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

Just curious. If you have like a 9 hour layover in Honolulu before heading off to another island, does that give you enough time to tour Pearl Harbor and get back to airport in time? Also, would it be best to take a taxi? or city bus? This is just a thought. I appreciate your input.

Mahalo,
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,689,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Aloha,

Just curious. If you have like a 9 hour layover in Honolulu before heading off to another island, does that give you enough time to tour Pearl Harbor and get back to airport in time? Also, would it be best to take a taxi? or city bus? This is just a thought. I appreciate your input.

Mahalo,
Kelly
We did Pearl Harbor in early morning, and it took about 3 hours. later in the day, this time of year it may be long lines to get in. We also did bus there but
in your case a taxi is safer to get back in time for the flight. You might even have the driver wait while you check on the wait time, though you could probably call first.

If it's just too crowded, you might try hiking up to the top of Diamondhead.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
Unless you are there on a major holiday, 9 hours should be plenty of time. Yes, take a cab. I have been there 3 times, and the only day we had a long wait was the 4th of July weekend. I'm sure it's similar on other holidays especially those of a patriotic nature. I was very happy to see such crowds to be honest! It's a fantastic memorial as is the USS Missouri.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,044,978 times
Of course you'll have to address the baggage issue (what to do with it). Luggage, backpacks, purses, handbags, camera bags, etc. aren't allowed for security reasons.

World War II Valor in the Pacific - Plan Your Visit (U.S. National Park Service)

The tour is very nice and well worth your while.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
Balad good point I did not think of but they could use a locker at the airport I guess.

Once when we were there, I think it was the 4th of July time, there was a man in our group with one of those photographer's or fisherman's vests on with all the pockets. I thought what a good idea!!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 PM

209 posts, read 723,041 times
Hey, great ideas everyone. I really appreciate it.

Many Mahalos,
Kelly

Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,044,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Balad good point I did not think of but they could use a locker at the airport I guess.

Once when we were there, I think it was the 4th of July time, there was a man in our group with one of those photographer's or fisherman's vests on with all the pockets. I thought what a good idea!!
For security reasons I don't believe there are lockers anymore at any airports and airlines will not allow you to check bags in that early prior to a flight.

There are business that will store/secure luggage in situations like this. I guess that's an option if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: