Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,480 times

Advertisements

We have been having huge debates on moving to Hawaii. I have a daughter who is African American. Although I realize she will be in the minority, does anyone have any opinions on how the feel/vibe is for school age kids and perceptions/acceptance of other races? We currently are very urban and she is equally represented at her school as is just about every other race. She loves the diversity. I am just trying to figure out how difficult this transition would be for her. I would love to hear the locals opinions and especially if any other African American folks living in Hawaii have any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 05:14 PM

109 posts, read 603,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzeek View Post
We have been having huge debates on moving to Hawaii. I have a daughter who is African American. Although I realize she will be in the minority, does anyone have any opinions on how the feel/vibe is for school age kids and perceptions/acceptance of other races? We currently are very urban and she is equally represented at her school as is just about every other race. She loves the diversity. I am just trying to figure out how difficult this transition would be for her. I would love to hear the locals opinions and especially if any other African American folks living in Hawaii have any input.

Aloha, I have a cousin who married an African American male and she has two children by him who are mixed but they take after their African American father in phenotype and hair. They look African with dark skin. They are also the only two African American children in their school due to the area they live in. They seem to be doing fine because they are "local African Americans". Sometimes other children tease them mainly due to their hair type not race. In regards to vibe my cousin said other kids tease them and call them names like "Nappy hair" "Barbwire" and "Brillo pad" and there is very little she can do about it. Kids can be cruel.
They are both in elementary school. Hopefully your daughter is thick skin and can let thing go in one ear and out the other. Best to send your daughter to a private school.

The problem that may arise later is when they get older. They probably won't have a strong African American identity to relate too or they may feel like they don't fit into the African American community if they decide to live on the mainland.

If you want your daughter to have a strong African American Idenity then best to stay on the mainland, other wise they may form their identity through the eyes of others and the opinions of others around them. To be honest what ever your race may be if your race does not have a good public image then some people tend to stereotype especially if they display qualities of that stereotype.

Any kid coming from the mainland will have a unique set of problems because they will be viewed as an "Mainlander" regardless of their race. Even if you are a Hawaiian that was born and raised on the mainland you can have some problems, not because of your race but because of your "Foreign ways" and lack of understanding of local culture. Many times Black and White Americans have good racial relations in Hawaii because they may find they have more in common with each other than they had realized. You will also find the least prejudice White Americans living on the Island as oppose to the mainland. On a positive note If you do decide to raise your daughter on the Islands she probably will not grow up with anger towards Whites Americans or other races, but learn how to get along with all different races.

Last edited by manoagirl; 08-14-2008 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 AM

243 posts, read 813,010 times
Oahu grown...

My best friend was born and raised on Oahu and he is African American. He was one of the popular kids in high school so I don't think you will have any problems. Also, my old co-worker is married to an African American dude, they also have 3 boys who are mixed Filipino and Black - They never have any problems.

Your daughter will be just fine (trust us locals!) :-)

Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
As people who live in Hawaii know issues of race and acceptance vary by island and even community. If the OP can offer specifics as to where they are moving to it would be helpful.

I've lived on Oahu, the Big Island and now Kauai and I can tell you Kauai is much different than Oahu.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Cool Curioius...

It seems the President of the United States is African American, born and raised in the Hawaiian Islands. Doesn't seem he had much trouble surviving. He prospered and has a good message, huh? What's the problem? I get so confused that it's 2010 and the concern that race plays any significant roll in anything anymore. Hawaii is a 'mixed plate' and has been for a very very long time. Let your daughter enjoy her diversity, she doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Relax already.
Koale

Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
It seems the President of the United States is African American, born and raised in the Hawaiian Islands. Doesn't seem he had much trouble surviving. He prospered and has a good message, huh? What's the problem? I get so confused that it's 2010 and the concern that race plays any significant roll in anything anymore. Hawaii is a 'mixed plate' and has been for a very very long time. Let your daughter enjoy her diversity, she doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Relax already.
Koale
Sadly, we aren't living in a "post-racial" society, despite the upbringing and ethnic background of the current President. Obama faced prejudice and discrimination (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2008-05-19-2291659494_x.htm - broken link) while growing up in Hawai'i. Fortunately, he didn't end up like his high school friend Keith Kakukawa ("Ray" in Obama's 1995 "Dreams of my Father, A Story of Race and Inheritance") whose life took a different path. From the "Akaka Bill" to the "2010 U.S. Census" form, elected officials and government institutions in Hawai'i and the continental United States still consider race to be of some significance.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 8,071 times
Default Aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzeek View Post
Welcome to Hawaii, how old is your daughter? Well that doesn't matter I am part african american/local, and it is really sad that your daughter is experiencing these issues. What grade is she? Well, all I can say is it will be alright and just be ya'lls self no one should have to change or act a certaing way to be accepted. Just ignore it they'll eventually get bored and back off.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,124 times
not ture blacks have it way better then whites.. i was suprise. but if you know hawaii history you will understand why the the hawaii give the whites a hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu