Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 11,967 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

So after debating for a while, I feel that it's time for me to leave the desert - Arizona - and move to Hawaii!! Been starting to do my research and figure out just where I want to live, what I want to do etc. I've been to Maui several times and Kauai once. I totally LOVE Maui - always have stayed down in the Kihei/Wailea area every time I've been there. Kauai was very beautiful, but just not busy enough for me to see living there. At least at this point in my life.

I feel that Oahu will have more job opportunities and entertainment - assuming I can afford it, but eh that's what boys are for, right?? - for me to enjoy. I have science degrees, but have spent the past several years in the financial world. I speak Japanese - very poorly since I haven't been practicing - but figured that might come in handy living there.

I have a trip planned to visit Oahu beginning of October, and hope to have secured a couple job interviews while I'm there.

So what I am needing to know is what areas of the island should I look into living at? I'm a single 27 year old white female - so it does need to be a bit more on the "safe" side. I keep hearing comments on how "whites" are picked on more? Is that more on the male-end, or chicks too?? If so, what if I'm part Chinese and Filipino - does that count?!!

And also - on job interviews out there - what is the proper thing to wear?!! Out here in AZ we pretty much need to doll up - super tall heels, skirts, blouses, etc - is it that formal out there? Or would I just wind up looking goofy???

I'm planning on moving out there in the next couple months - probably by the beginning of the year... Just gotta sell my snowboard (since it'll just collect dust there and will need a surfboard anyways) and figure out what to bring!

Mahalo!!
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:35 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The cheapest living arrangements are sharing a house or renting a room from someone no matter what area of Oahu you land on. Considering the traffic, renting living arrangements as close to your job will save a lot of traffic aggravations.

For what to wear on a job interview, look at the people doing a job similar to the one you are applying for and wear what they wear. Maybe if you were trying to get a cocktail waitress job at a Korean bar the super high heels would be appreciated but for many jobs it would just mark you as "not from around here".

If you are part haole, part pake and part Filipino then you are "hapa" and not haole. Unless the pake/pilipino part is like a great grandparent, then you can be all haole. A lot of it is attitude, too. Give respect to get respect.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:36 AM

115 posts, read 471,325 times
Go get em Arizona Girl, keep us updated.

We will be there soon also

Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 AM

5 posts, read 27,304 times
From my experience of being a haole girl from the mainland, show aloha and you'll see it. I can only speak from where I've lived and walk around at night. I've found Mo'ili'ili to be nice. Now I kinda live between there and Kaimuki and it's nice, too. I walk to and from work in Waikiki at night and have had no problems (not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying I've never had a problem). The one place I would definitely avoid is Chinatown. I have a friend living there and he hates it. Used to have to wait for the bus home from there after class at night...not the best plan.

As for prices, everywhere is expensive! Not very many people actually have their own places. Waikiki and Ala Moana are more expensive, but again so is everywhere else. Word of caution, if it sounds really great for cheap, think again. Also, the standard of living is, shall we say, a bit lower than on the mainland. Most of the buildings are really old and bits and parts are falling apart, but that's just part of the price of paradise. Where else can you live with easy access to some of the best beaches in the world?

Anyways, good luck! Hope you find something you like!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Oh, if you find Maui too slow then about the only island you could live on would be Oahu. The rest of them are much slower than Maui.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 AM

246 posts, read 649,831 times
First, you won't need to use Japanese here, its not Japan (sorry the sarcasm had to come out, its a Monday)!!! I took 3 years of it in high school and 4 semesters at UH, don't remember much.

Second, you will hear the term "Hapa" which is a Hawaiian term (loosely speaking here) for "Half" meaning half white. This is a good thing, (Hapa girls are hot ) the culture here promotes a mix of diverse ethnic influence clearly seen within the nuances of our customs and food. Being Chinese, Filipino, Haole, you will get hit on by every guy, everyday!!!

The girls like to dress up as progressive and modern as they can at the clubs (hot!), but will wear tank tops, surf shorts, and slippas during the day (also hot!). Chinatown is sooo happening, check out First Friday (first Friday of the month), the art galleries stay open later, the great ethnic restaurants have lines out the door, fashion shows, art houses showing indie films, and club promotions makes for a lively scene. You can also check out the new trendy lounge bars and trendy clubs like the 'W' around town and Waikiki. (Google these events and you will see what I'm talking about, the posters above are like, really old and give old people advice).

With all jokes aside, living around town is quite convenient because you are close to the nitelife, probably near work, and you avoid the traffic and high gas prices. The tradeoff is, the rent is a little more expensive and the apartments are much smaller. But if you are here to have fun you'd be out more and would only need the bare essentials of a bed and bath to meet your needs.

If you are chill and go out of your way to respect others, the Aloha will be reciprocated.

Craigslist is a good source for rentals and jobs.

Good luck!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-16-2008 at 05:11 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,782 times
Default Looking for small town B and B in Hawaii

I hope this is OK to make a post that is by the side. I want to take two weeks [all I can afford] to paint water colors, maybe oil in Hawaii. I am looking for a room in a bed and breakfast in a small, slow town with a beach to swim. Does anyone have a suggestion, fairly low price range, need room with bath in hall or room, place cheap to eat other meal or buy food for picnic type meal. Do not need AC if breezy with window safe to open at night. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM

181 posts, read 585,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessAida View Post
I hope this is OK to make a post that is by the side. I want to take two weeks [all I can afford] to paint water colors, maybe oil in Hawaii. I am looking for a room in a bed and breakfast in a small, slow town with a beach to swim. Does anyone have a suggestion, fairly low price range, need room with bath in hall or room, place cheap to eat other meal or buy food for picnic type meal. Do not need AC if breezy with window safe to open at night. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lahaina on Maui is a place you'll probably like.

Rooms at the Pioneer Inn start at $60.

Maui Hotel | Best Western Pioneer Inn | Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

(Now why don't you start your own post? You have a great question. You'll probably get lots more answers. We love new questions here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu