Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM

6 posts, read 17,340 times

Advertisements

I am a haole. My family and I have lived in Waianae for the past 38 years. I agree that it isn't as beautiful as it used to be because of the homeless, but the people are not bad people. The state just needs to move these people off the beaches and keep them there,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 PM

6 posts, read 17,340 times
I lived in Waianae for years..... my kids and grandkids still live there and wouldn't move if paid. Don't blame Waianae on all the problems

Old 11-29-2008, 05:09 PM

246 posts, read 650,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
As a local, even I do not go to Waianae

I think a majority of local people hold this sentiment.
Agreed, its not that its a bad neighborhood, its a VIOLENT neighborhood!

You can make your way through a rough neighborhood like Kalihi, but theres a greater chance you'd get stabbed in Waianae because someone thought you were looking at them funny.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,742 times
Default to all the white women that always say they have never had any problems

I think you should stop trying to be helpful and pretend that your experience as a white person extends to both genders.
In my experience in a lot of neighborhoods in Chicago, the SF Bay Area, and the outskirts of Paris, France, white women DO NOT have the same experience or DO NOT experience the same beatings than a white boy would be subjected to. And the neighborhoods I am referring are more or less violent places with very little European looking people.
In general white women are generally fine in these places as long as they are perceived of preferring to be with a brown or dark skinned man (based on what I SAW, all that lived or frequented these neighborhoods did).

Last edited by guatemalaninvacation; 12-12-2008 at 03:30 AM..

Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,520,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Agreed, its not that its a bad neighborhood, its a VIOLENT neighborhood!

You can make your way through a rough neighborhood like Kalihi, but theres a greater chance you'd get stabbed in Waianae because someone thought you were looking at them funny.
I respectfully disagree with your blanket statements. Since when is Waianae a "neighborhood"? More stabbings in Waianae than Kalihi, please show us a reliable source to prove your assertion.

Yes, parts of Waianae and Kalihi are rough, but VIOLENT...c'mon. Have you lived or spent any real time in either Waianae or Kalihi? In one of your other posts, you stated you had never heard of Mo'ili'ili and needed to google it. Did you also google Waianae and Kalihi before you posted in this thread?

Your Mo'ili'ili post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...fo-please.html

Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 AM

184 posts, read 658,982 times
My kid (age 18) went to visit a friend in a suburb of Honolulu. She's Asian and he's white. I was probably more worried about the race issue than he was, after reading some threads in the Hawaii section. I told him what people said about showing respect, etc., which he does anyway, and so far, he's had no trouble.

He actually said, in a phone call, "Mom, there's a LOT of white people here...I don't know what you were talking about."

His biggest "encounter" was during a traffic accident, in which a truck passed to close to his friend's car and knocked off the side mirror. (I guess the traffic is awful!). The huge truck driver got out and started yelling at his friend, My son stood up to him and politely told him not to yell, esp. since she's a petite girl (sounds sexist, but realistic--she WAS scared). and there was no reason they couldn't exchange info like adults (!!!). The guy calmed down, apologized and everything worked out!

All I can say is: that would probably NEVER happen in Massachusetts, esp. near Boston!

Last edited by VlyRoadKid; 12-14-2008 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-15-2008, 04:50 PM

47 posts, read 147,868 times
I read your title thought and moved straight to the last page to post...
I will start with my last thought.yeah ok
being white you should have alot to bring to honolulu...
two each line i bring different genres so beaware!
a useful person will not be pushed aside by everyone..
all i know is do not try to be humble when you are suppose to be bold..
and yeah it helps if you are skillful....not have a high paying job skillful yet can make something from what is considered of nothing. lets say on subject like the Swiss Preacher in the Swiss family robinson/s..

Are you ok being white?

me full of color and far from being colored!

honolulu full of people lovers, haters, police, workers, natives, and childeren of migrators...travelers...trust these words to what they are I seen them all! and it is still a decent place with a diversity of people!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VlyRoadKid View Post
My kid (age 18) went to visit a friend in a suburb of Honolulu. She's Asian and he's white. I was probably more worried about the race issue than he was, after reading some threads in the Hawaii section. I told him what people said about showing respect, etc., which he does anyway, and so far, he's had no trouble.

He actually said, in a phone call, "Mom, there's a LOT of white people here...I don't know what you were talking about."
Glad to hear he is doing well. Being respectful is a really good thing. Sounds like he was raised right.

True, there ARE a lot of haoles here, however somewhere much less than fifty percent of folks are haole. It also changes depending on which area of Hawaii you are in. All areas of Hawaii are diversified, but some areas have a higher proportion of some varieties of folks than others. When folks come from very homogenized areas of the mainland where folks are 100% of one variety they are sometimes shocked at the diversity of Hawaii.

Once I went to visit the mainland and I was really uneasy but couldn't quite figure out why. I originally thought it was because it was winter and all the trees and plants were "dead" but I finally figured out that it was because everyone (or about 99% of them) were haole and my subconscious was wondering what had happened that killed off half the population.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 AM

27 posts, read 57,407 times
I do not live in Hawaii, but I always thought the people were nice and in general much more friendly than in California. My ex on the other hand was stationed there in the military and had a very poor attitude in my opinion. He always complained about how he was treated bad because he was not from Hawaii, but as I got to know him I realized it was because he was a jerk.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Once I went to visit the mainland and I was really uneasy but couldn't quite figure out why. I originally thought it was because it was winter and all the trees and plants were "dead" but I finally figured out that it was because everyone (or about 99% of them) were haole and my subconscious was wondering what had happened that killed off half the population.
Love your observation. I had the exact opposite feeling when I visited then moved to Maui...I finally felt "at home", and figured out it was in part because I look local. I've mentioned this to friends - I never knew I how much I was a minority until I became the majority - as a way of describing the feeling.

It isn't that looking like a non-local will be a hindrance, it's just that when people think you are a local, they kind of EXPECT you to be here... it's really hard to describe. It comes from locals, visitors, everyone. People look at me and think I belong here. I didn't realize it until I got THAT reaction how much people looked at me elsewhere and didn't have that same reaction... assuming I was from somewhere else.

Often very subtle, but it happens.

Also funny - now when I go other places, people ask if I'm from Hawaii. They used to ask if I was Latino, or Filipino, or many other varieties. Now they assume I'm from Hawaii. Is it my darker tan? Have my speaking patterns changed? Probably those things and more.

Maybe I can get a grant and conduct a study!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu