Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 PM

246 posts, read 650,400 times

Advertisements

This thread has been going for a while. Good stuff. I posted this a while back (edited some things) and someone thought it was helpful, maybe it might add some insight for others:

As for being cast as a mainlander, to be directly blunt, the truth is Hawaii CULTURE is based and influenced FROM Polynesian and Asian culture of being humble and nonconfrontational, which is the total opposite of how many mainlanders present themselves (think the term ugly American) when they come here. NOT ALL, but the bad ones usually stick out and ruin it for the other mainland transplants who are simply just good people. The problem is that they refuse to adjust to be open to the culture no matter how irrational or foreign it may seem to them compared to their experience living somewhere else.

If you truly have an open perspective and want to experience a new culture and environment, you can adapt quickly and make friends. Everything is TOTALLY based on attitude.

There are alot of Asians here (myself included) about 50%. This surprises many Caucasians who may find not being a majority, in terms of what they may be used to, as something considerable to adjust to. There are much stereotypical perceptions, although evenly distributed between ALL ethnicities, but people usually end up taking you for what you are based on how you carry yourself. We have a tendency to find humor in the characteristics of ethnic sterotypes, its even funnier when you find out its true within someone you know!

You will find people of mixed race with ethnic backgrounds ranging from the Philipines to Portugal and everything in between. If they walked around in the maindland they would be percieved as either Mexican or White. It is easy to blend in with people because of the variety you encounter everyday.

If you are wiling to absorb into the culture, dress local, wear slippas, eat local food (learning a few pidgen words wouldn't hurt) you would have an easier transition than if you fight trying to retain your culture and lifestyle you've become habitually accustomed to previously.

It is a great environment to raise a family in, in terms of weather, beaches, general friendliness of people, just different and unique compared to the mainland.

Consider the islands a modern and ever developing state, in which the population will only continue to grow, consisting of a people still trying to retain the small town qualities Hawaii had 20-30 years ago, and you can see the mentality behind the good, and yes also bad, state of mind of people in Hawaii.

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 02-13-2009 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 PM

806 posts, read 2,342,159 times
lost_traveler 1, EXCELLENT POST!!

Mahalo

Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 PM

96 posts, read 620,072 times
seriously lost_traveler1 you got it 100% unfortunately when you get one 'bad/rude' mainlander he gonna ruin it for da others. you gotta be open to new kind tings
very insightful and i'm sure it will help others who maybe are nervous about visiting because of some negative experiences others have had.
personally as a local just go open minded, yes there is a possibility to run into a local who can be rude but you must realize that they could've had a bad experience with a mainlander or tourist in general and so you have this cycle that forms. though again as with having a few rude mainlanders obviously not all are like that, same goes for locals. some are nice some are not all depends on teh person and what they've experienced in the past.
just be open and know that it isn't going to be like the mainland, you have a minority majority here and it is here to stay and it is what makes Hawaii so unique and why others who visit enjoy it. we don't just have great beaches and weather, we have great people, culture adn food =)

Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 PM

6 posts, read 44,657 times
I am hapa (half white and half asian/pacific islander) and grew up in Kalihi. My (white) mother has lived here for 25+ years... She lives in Waikiki and has few problems.

As the others said, treat others as you would want to be treated! Always be respectful of others cultures and be open to trying new things... I would avoid Kalihi, Waianae, and Nanakuli. You might be more comfortable in Kailua or in Hawaii Kai.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,836 times
overall hawaii is less prejudice or rude than the mainland BUT oahu was less prejudiced than hilo from what i remember.

hilo was the most "redneckish" rural town in hawaii and had a distinctive redneckish vibe to it. either way, even the locals or asians there seemed ruder or more prejudiced toward asians than they were to whites. the asians seemed like the stereotypical "wannabe" suck-up-to-whitey mentality and/or ghetto. they are less educated too. it reminded me more of the mainland in it's just basic 'ignorance' type of way that is so typical. honolulu is a truly unique city in it's vibrancy and sense of progressiveness. comparative to other places, it's a beacon of light and it could be a whole lot better. that means it's a pathetic sliding scale and the 'other' places are that much more pathetic.

anyhoo, so it goes to prove that larger cities tend to be less prejudiced and more open-minded(in the united states) more often than smaller places generally. honolulu has more educated people and more east asians so the culture is a little more astute.

if you are white, you might enjoy hilo more. it's more laidback and there are more white people there too percentage-wise. the asians there are not as educated, are more miscegenated or they are more mainland types so you should feel right at home. lol

Last edited by leaana; 02-17-2009 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 20,269 times
Okay...I'm going to be very straight here. You won't be looked down upon, but you will CERTAINLY be in the minority. Don't expect everyone to know English or have the same customs/mannerisms/outlook as you. As far as racism goes, be careful on the west coast of Oahu. Wainae. I have only been to one of their beautiful beaches once and that was with a local boy. The other two times I have tried, I have been told to leave before I even got out of the car. Once I was even flashed a knife. Fun times in paradise!!!! The term "Haole" has been given to us, and most people use it to mean "white person." True Hawaiians however know it means without breath and that is how some of them look at us....dead.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshngrl View Post
Okay...I'm going to be very straight here. You won't be looked down upon, but you will CERTAINLY be in the minority. Don't expect everyone to know English or have the same customs/mannerisms/outlook as you. As far as racism goes, be careful on the west coast of Oahu. Wainae. I have only been to one of their beautiful beaches once and that was with a local boy. The other two times I have tried, I have been told to leave before I even got out of the car. Once I was even flashed a knife. Fun times in paradise!!!! The term "Haole" has been given to us, and most people use it to mean "white person." True Hawaiians however know it means without breath and that is how some of them look at us....dead.
Its interesting that you say these things about Waianae. I was born and raised there. Waianae is one of the last places homeless people can go and live on the beach, without being harassed by anyone... thats just until the state comes and tells them to move to another beach. Its about the only place you might get affordable housing.... I can't speak for the person who pulled the knife on you..homeless?? But I will say that if you were at a beach I would warn you that your car is at risk and why.... If you left, then thats your call. Yes Waianae has some of the nicest beaches!!! and the sunsets are to die for... Its sad that you didn't get to meet the people. The people are some of the greatest in the world. Just think... how many other place people would or will pull a knife on you? Also... How many other places would they tell you to leave?? see, they were thinking of your safety.

For me Haole is an attitude, not a skin color or race of a person.
Haole to me means selfish. Most any Hawaiian will give you their shirt off their back... A haole will ask for that shirt and all other that you may have.
one is never enough for a haole.... try ask that haole for a shirt.... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu