Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM

70 posts, read 312,335 times

Advertisements

We're moving/PCSing to Schofield Barracks in a couple months. I'd like to go to school at a Community College or Technical School, somewhere I can get a 2 yr degree in the medical field. (possibly nursing or dental hygeine) I've looked into the Education Ctr on post, but not finding anything I want offered there. So, any school suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 12:28 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
The community colleges are part of the University system.

Try this link: The 10 Campuses of the University of Hawaii System

There are also some distance learning courses--you can be enrolled at one campus and take these classes regardless of which campus is offering them...

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 AM

70 posts, read 312,335 times
Thank you for your reply. I've been looking into the schools.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,997 times
Hi, About to move to hawaii from El Paso Texas, been doing my pre.nursing classes at NMSU. Working for my BSN I have been looking at some website for the univ of hawaii. But don't have any of the community college inf close to schofield barracks that offers Nursing. Looking for any community college suggestion close to post. Or a University too. Thanks

Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 AM

117 posts, read 545,418 times
the 4 schools that offer nursing degrees on oahu are about an hour away from schofield, they are...

kcc
uh-manoa
hpu
chaminade

Old 04-09-2011, 04:01 AM

74 posts, read 333,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn1998 View Post
We're moving/PCSing to Schofield Barracks in a couple months. I'd like to go to school at a Community College or Technical School, somewhere I can get a 2 yr degree in the medical field. (possibly nursing or dental hygeine) I've looked into the Education Ctr on post, but not finding anything I want offered there. So, any school suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kapi'olani Community College

KCC has the largest selection of certificate and 2-yr allied health offerings, but it is the farthest campus away from Schofield, and the AM/PM rush hour traffic to and from your area can be horrendous.

Programs of Study (Look under Health Education and Health Sciences)

Leeward Community College

LCC is much closer to Schofield than KCC, though their allied health course offerings are much fewer.

Health Programs | Leeward Community College

Dental hygiene is a BS (i.e., a 4 year degree program) at the university and is not offered at the community college level.

Dental Hygiene | University of Hawai'i at Manoa - School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene

Bear in mind that most, if not all, of the allied health degree programs have prerequisites, and some may require aptitude exams prior to applying (e.g. the NLN exam for nursing.) If you have credits from courses from other colleges, you should arrange to meet with a counselor to see what, if any, transfer over.

Here's a site for general information for prospective students regarding the University of Hawai'i system:

Information for prospective students considering the University of Hawaii

And below is a link to tuition costs per credit hour for the university and community colleges.

Tuition schedule for the 10-campuses of the University of Hawaii System

Hope this helps. Good luck with your education!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,834 times
Regarding tuition, this comes from System: UH Continues its Tuition Exemption Status for Eligible Military Family Members | University of Hawaii News

Military Tuition Exemption
The University of Hawaiʻi system will continue to grant resident tuition status to eligible non-resident family members (previously referred to as "dependents") of military personnel who are on active duty and have been deployed as part of our country‘s war undertakings or other official military duties and assignments.

The university recognizes that these military personnel are considered "stationed" in Hawaiʻi and are eligible for this benefit despite that some of them may have been deployed to locations outside of Hawaiʻi. In these cases, current students may be exempt as authorized family members of military personnel who are on active duty and deployed.

A grace period of one semester will be granted in situations where the military personnel‘s rotation date expires prior to the start of the following semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: