Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,537 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am from Mallorca Island, Spain (Mediterranean Sea) I think I will be moving to Oahu next july. I need some advise pls

I will come to Oahu and I will stay during 3 weeks this january

Is there any spanish school for my kids?

Here I live in the country just 10 minutes away from sea shore. Where is the nicest place far from the city that I could look for a home?

I am a potter, I sell my stuff in my worshop and teach children and adults, would be cool if i could find a nice village where to have both, home and workshop.

Thanks , gracias !

YO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
No Spanish school for kids although they may be able to find Spanish taught as a foreign language in their school. Japanese is the usual foreign language spoken in the islands so you could find a school where your children could be taught in Japanese. The other option is Hawaiian, there are Hawaiian immersion schools, too.

Far from the city on Oahu? You could try Laie, Kaaawa or Kunia, perhaps. Kahuku, maybe. Travel around when you visit in January, it isn't that large of an island.

Why would you want to leave Mallorca? Isn't it a beautiful island as well? I think it is bigger than Oahu, too, isn't it? Both beauty islands and covered with tourists, however, on Oahu you wouldn't have the same support group of family and friends. They look like they are probably both expensive islands, as well, since whenever loads of tourists visit places some of them want to buy second homes where they vacation. On Oahu, the island folk are always having to compete for a limited amount of homes against the mainland people who have much higher income than the service job incomes an island can provide. Is it similar on Mallorca?

Will you have an income other than pottery on Oahu? That could limit your housing options due to the cost of housing. I'm not sure what the cost of clay is, but there is no natural clay deposits on the island since it is all volcanic rock and the clay has to be shipped in.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 AM

210 posts, read 973,754 times
why do you want to leave such a great place, where you have high quality of live, food, culture, Europe nearby, and move HERE?
I strongly advise you to stay where you are

Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,703,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
why do you want to leave such a great place, where you have high quality of live, food, culture, Europe nearby, and move HERE?
I strongly advise you to stay where you are
The grass in always greener...

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-09-2008 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: english only please

Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 PM

Hola and thanks so much for your answer, you have helped me a lot.

Japanese or Hawaiian sound good to me.

Mallorca is beautiful, its true, still very virgin areas that we try to preserv. I think Oahu is about 1.800 km2 and Mallorca 3.800 km2 if I am not wrong.

I am from barcelona, mainland Spain and I have live here 16 years so far. After my divorce I am looking for a big change, lol and Oahu is a place I would love, the other option is Baja.

Mallorca is very turisctic from may to October, we get around 17.000 millions turist from everywhere but mainly europeans, germans the most. The prices of homes here went madly up because the germans were paying "fortunes" for homes, now the market its very expensive even if it dropped because of teh crisis. I checked real estate in Oahu in internet are the prices here and there are the same.

I can do other things than the pottery, actually in Barcelona I worked for years at the Hilton and as I speak 5 languages I dont think I will have problems finding a job.

Gracias again for your help!

Y

Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 PM

421 posts, read 2,538,074 times
Trust me you wouldn't want to be in this weather up here in the northeast. Right now Hawaii sounds great.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
In the current job market, you may have a huge difficulty finding a job. If you require a job to live in Hawaii, it might be best to try to find the job while you are here on vacation and if you don't find employment, then reschedule your planned move until the economy picks up. Just in the past several months the employment market has crashed and burned. We've had folks coming by to see if they could do yardwork for us and these folks have been carpenters, tile layers, chefs and counter clerks but unable to find employment anywhere. Other friends have mentioned folks coming by offering to care for yards in exchange for a place to stay. Things are getting extremely tight here just within the past month.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 AM

well thanks for the advise, its the same situation we are having here, crisis worldwide, I appreciate your help. Gracias!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu