Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 11:44 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,830,505 times

Advertisements

I plan on relocating back to Oahu later this year. We will be selling our home in Austin, TX. When I ask realtors, I can only partially believe what they are saying. What are some of you seeing there in the Market. I know the prices are high - and compared to Austin I could not affort to buy the size of home I have here (3500 sq ft). I know Hawaii is always a slow reactor, 6-9 months, to the ills of the mainland. Any help would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:09 PM

116 posts, read 397,591 times
Aloha. I monitor the Oahu/Honolulu housing market as a hobby. I use this website Oahu Real Estate to monitor the market as it shows a lot of information such as list price, sold price, number of days on the market, etc. I wish more areas of the country provided the same type of information. I am considering a move to San Antonio, TX, or Kirkland, WA and they do not have the same information available.

In general prices are falling. You can probably get a great deal on a short sale. What part of Oahu are you considering? I might be better able to assist you if you indicate either where your job will be, or what neighborhood you are considering, and how much you were hoping to spend. The average cost of a single-family home on Oahu ranges from $450,000 to $600,000. Townhomes and condos are more affordable, but maintenance fees (a/k/a Homeowners Association Fees) can be several hundred dollars more a month.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,523,454 times
Aloha!

Thanks for posting the link, Mililani Gal. The info is incredible. Rep points for you!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks Mililani Gal, I will be working in Pearl Harbor area, so I'm focusing on Aiea, Salt Lake and Moanalua areas. The link is quite useful - thanks.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
This time around, Hawaii isn't a slow reactor to ills on the mainland since our buffer of Japanese visitors aren't there to soften the blow. It used to be when the mainland had financial troubles, we would do fine because foreign visitors would take up the slack but now, Japan as well as the rest of the globe, is not doing so well so they are cutting back on expensive vacations, too.

Double that house size you mentioned and that's the size of an average houselot in Hawaii, don'tcha think?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Ah yes, I previously owned a home in Pearl City and it was approx 1500 sq ft on a lot of approx 6500; so I'm well aware what I'm stepping back into. The good part is that most of my furniture is still there in storage and I will sell off just about everything else except the car and my art work. Mahalo for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu