Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 AM

24 posts, read 80,429 times

Advertisements

Hi, done some research recently about purchasing real estate in Oahu and Ewa jumps out as pretty affordable. Recently found a 3BD, 2BA Townhouse with attached garage, courtyard and nice clean community areas for $249,000FS. It has been on the market for over 6 months, original sale's price in 2005 was $349,000 From what I've researched of the Oahu Real Estate market that's pretty good.

Been to Ewa beach once about four years ago. Their was a big family BBQ in the grassy area and got a few awkward stares. Ate at the Pizza Hut and got the same kinda feeling. Is Ewa a local area? I'm white/mex and was with my Japanese girlfriend (now wife).

I did like the area, it was a bit far from the freeway and I imagine if you work in Honolulu the AM and PM commute might be around 45min to 1 hour.

What type of work is done at the Campbell Industrial park? Government or private industry?

Is Ewa considered Leeward?

All the locals that have replied and do reply to other mainlander inquiries here are always thoughtful, honest and open. So, any feedback about the above and Ewa in general would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM

682 posts, read 2,798,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John719 View Post
I did like the area, it was a bit far from the freeway and I imagine if you work in Honolulu the AM and PM commute might be around 45min to 1 hour.
My impression is that it's more like 2 hours during rush hour. I'm at the university, and was told specifically not to live in Ewa. Not because it's a bad place to live, but because everyone who comes in as new faculty moves there (nice places for lots less money). The commute is untenable, and they end up leaving after a year or two.

Having done nearly 2 hours in my car each way while living in LA, I know I'm not cut out for that kind of driving daily, so I didn't even consider it.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Ya, I keep hearing about this commute and traffic situation on Oahu but I find it hard to beleive it can be as bad as LA, The SF Bay Area & Central CA commutes. Is anyone familiar with Hwy. 238 from Tarcy CA to Livermore, now that has to be the worst. Or the 280/580 interchange in Oakland. Hwy 880 & 101 interchange in Milpitas CA. On the map and through Yahoo maps the drive time is around 20 -- 30 minutes. Why is the commute so bad? So, if I work in Honolulu or Pearl where would be the better place to live? But Ewa seems really nice and very resonably priced. What are the general commute hours? Same as in the mainland?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
The traffic is bad. It can take several hours since you are either going 15 mph or standing still during rush hour and if there has been a bad accident in certain spots of the road, you may not get home at all unless you want to drive all the way around Laie to get there. The mountains keep all the roads down near the perimeter of the island and the zoning code didn't allow commercial areas mixed in with residential so there are all these residential areas in one spot and all the jobs in another. So now there are huge traffic jams while everyone tries to get to and from work.

First off, don't try to buy a house in an area you haven't lived in. If you think you will like the Ewa area, first RENT a house in the area for six months while you are looking around to buy a place. Each area is very different from every other area, there is a whole lot of difference in just a little bit of distance when you are dealing with an island that has mountains, valleys and beaches. Ask if you can do a "rent-to-own" at the house you are looking at. Then, if you don't like the house, the area, the commute, can't find a job, etc., then you won't be stuck with the house.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

682 posts, read 2,798,659 times
Quote:
Ya, I keep hearing about this commute and traffic situation on Oahu but I find it hard to beleive it can be as bad as LA, The SF Bay Area & Central CA commutes. Is anyone familiar with Hwy. 238 from Tarcy CA to Livermore, now that has to be the worst. Or the 280/580 interchange in Oakland. Hwy 880 & 101 interchange in Milpitas CA. On the map and through Yahoo maps the drive time is around 20 -- 30 minutes. Why is the commute so bad? So, if I work in Honolulu or Pearl where would be the better place to live? But Ewa seems really nice and very resonably priced. What are the general commute hours? Same as in the mainland?
Husband used to work in Milpitas and did that commute. We've also done Boston and LA. Why is it so bad here? Because there's one road in and one out. No back roads. Literally, none. If the freeway is backed up, you are STUCK. It's just not an option to get off and "go another way".

The drive time is really only bad in rush hour. Honolulu has, I think, the worst rush hour in the sense of "change from normal drive time". In LA, traffic is always bad, all times of day. It's a little worse at 8am, but going a lot earlier or later doesn't save you much time. Here, the difference between 7am and 10am is huge.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM

OK, so I gather then the reason why EWA is affordable is because the distance and drive times. It seems the further you get away from Honolulu the more cheaper it get's. But Kailua and Kaneohe are also expensive and they are almost as far as EWA. But their's three roads through the mountains and one around it, plus it's pretty nice in Kailua.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,139,086 times
We live in Ewa Beach. Our community is fairly mixed with a lot of local families & a lot of Military families in our subdivision. I am local (very mixed/ & my husband is White (Alabama)- we have never had an issue. Ewa is considered to be Leeward.

Traffic is a problem, but thankfully they are expanding the main road into Ewa Beach as well as working on a large secondary parkway that is scheduled to open soon (yippee!). If you have a job that allows you some flexibility with hours you will fare much better as far as traffic is concerned (frankly it is rather bad everywhere).

There are a lot of great deals in Ewa Beach and the housing is well built and spacious (for Hawaii) and is a bargain if you cannot afford the $600,00- 900,000 single family homes.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Quote:
OK, so I gather then the reason why EWA is affordable is because the distance and drive times. It seems the further you get away from Honolulu the more cheaper it get's. But Kailua and Kaneohe are also expensive and they are almost as far as EWA. But their's three roads through the mountains and one around it, plus it's pretty nice in Kailua.
There is also some employment in Kailua/Kaneohe with the shopping centers, businesses and military base there so not all the folks from those two towns go into Honolulu each day. That helps lessen the traffic in and out as well as the multiple routes that you noticed.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 AM

117 posts, read 546,117 times
campbell industrial is industrial/factory type of jobs

i live in ewa, ocean pointe to be exact

Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 PM

850 posts, read 4,370,390 times
was born and raised in 'ewa beach (the older part). loved it as a kid. thought about buying there in the mid 90's, but it was just so hot. bought in kapolei instead--a corner lot with nice breezes.

lived in kailua (one block from the beach) for many years before moving to the big island. it's not a small town any more. it's beautiful, but i like the up country living over here better.

where will you be working? that might make a difference on where you buy your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu