Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,389,565 times

Advertisements

Including rent, utilities and tv/internet for us appox $2500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM

189 posts, read 283,894 times
Are you saying that's what you're paying approximately right now (a statement), or are you asking if that's an alright budget (a question)?

Sorry, I just can't parse your sentence!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 AM

I thought it would be interesting and enlightening, especially since we don't really know each other, if we listed what housing cost us. So many people want to come over here and pay $1200 for rent. I know amenities play a huge part but let's skip all that. Maybe you make a mortgage payment. So just put approx what you pay for housing. Maybe you could put $2500+ if you don't want to be specific. But we'll know you pay more than 2500. Maybe this isn't a great idea.

Since this is the Oahu board, I suggest anyone living on Oahu post the amount they pay on housing. Just an FYI for those planning to come here.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,239,169 times
Housing- 2100
Electric- 250-350
Cable & internet- 160
HOA which includes water & gardening $700
Insurance, car & HO, $370 (think hurricane, tsumani premiums)
Termite $300 yearly

Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 AM

431 posts, read 942,099 times
What one is getting for that monthly payment and where one is getting it is just as important as the payment itself. A raw figure could be misleading.

So I think, if this thread is to be at all useful, we can't "skip all that" when it comes to amenities. "Paying for housing" is one thing but if that housing is a pig in a crap neighborhood it's not worth a damn, IMHO.
I know when we came here I had standards below which I wasn't willing to go. Yeah, sure, there are those who come here singing the mantra of "we don't care---we're in HAWAII!!!!" but that wears thin after a while. And those people, IME, head for that ever-revolving door that sends them back to wherever they came from after an average stay of about two years.

On that happy note, our mortgage will be gone in about two years so why bother quoting it here---our home purchase price has no relation to present-day home purchase prices on Oahu. Ongoing expenses are minimal electric bills (PV system): $17/month---your mileage will most certainly vary unless you have a PV system. Real estate taxes about $166/month. Landline/internet/cable/DVR etc bills will be changing when we go to Hawaiian TelCom but I think that will be about $160 or so. Water/sewer is ridiculous---about $150/month. Gas (piped propane) $100. Home insurance: $110. Car insurance, one car and a truck: $120. Vehicle registrations: $700/year.

Not sure what our house would go for in today's market but, looking around, I would think about $800K, minimum. Ranch house in Enchanted Lake in Kailua, not-fantasy-very-simple-pool, new windows and doors, new siding, kitchen redone ten years ago, PV system, everything very clean, etc, but nothing fancy. Nice neighbors, no slobhouses in the immediate area (don't laugh---this means a lot here). The house next to us was a total interior gut job and went for $735K about six months ago so perhaps I am being conservative here. We're not going anywhere so we basically don't care much about finding out what our resale value might be but looking at sales in the neighborhood gives us an idea.

A quick search of rental condos, trying to find one that was similar to what we rented in this area when we first moved here ($1200/month about 14 years ago), shows a 2BR/2BA with 2 parking spaces, W/D in unit, for about $2500/month. That did not include utilities, IIRC.

Yes, you can live more cheaply than we do and you can also spend a helluva lot more we do. DIfferent strokes for different folks and I would never impose my needs/wants on others nor would I seek to apply my standards to all. To each his own.

But one more thing: Observation: So many come here and truly believe that they will be perfectly fine with downsizing and giving up the comforts they had elsewhere. But, again IME observing others, those trade-offs become thorns that become daggers that become machetes and eventually end up tipping the scales towards leaving Hawaii.

I have seen it so many times that my ears no longer perk up when the complaining starts. I just roll my eyes and think "here we go again...."

Last edited by PaliPatty; 06-23-2013 at 03:22 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 AM

We're pretty bare-bones here, though our community is oceanfront property so there's huge beach/shoreline we can enjoy a short walk/jog away. (some units are on the beach, not ours, which is 4br/2b) Our community is gaited so security is 24/7. We have a gym and regular community events. I just think that stuff isn't so important in the big picture.

Basically PaliPatty, you could say "in 3 months ZERO cuz the house will be paid off!" BRAVO that is so amazing! Call Dave Ramsey cuz he will get you on the air and the world will know. It's what we should all strive for. We sold 3 properties (I say that loosely cuz with the market, we gave 2 away and the 3rd MIGHT bring us a little return) before we moved here. We only planned to stay a couple of years. I have my job, my health and my beloved animals... and of course my friends. Those are the only amenities worth anything in my world!

Thanks Joliefille!!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM

163 posts, read 318,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
We're pretty bare-bones here, though our community is oceanfront property so there's huge beach/shoreline we can enjoy a short walk/jog away. (some units are on the beach, not ours, which is 4br/2b) Our community is gaited so security is 24/7. We have a gym and regular community events. I just think that stuff isn't so important in the big picture.
Hunterseat, we would be looking for a 4br/2ba. About how many sq feet does that give you for the price? Can you be more specific on bare bone? Also, how much does your insurances run? Are there anymore fees such as gardening etc? Anymore info you can give me I would greatly appreciate!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM

The Waterfront at Pu'uloa. There are sliding walls between two of the rooms so those could be kids rooms. Not much privacy. We keep it one big room but section the dogs off at night. (they snore) The teenager girl has the "master suite" which has a 3/4 bath but we prefer the larger quarters and we take the full bath. Last b/r has a sliding wall that opens to the living room. Again, not very soundproof. My contractor other half argues that it's not 4br, though they advertise it as such. I think it would be fine for a couple with kids. I think the sq footage/floor plan is on the web site. It's WAY more room than we need. Ashamed to say we don't have renter's insurance. Car insurance is MUCH lower than CT!! Free parking... no other fees if you cut your own grass and they have mowers you can borrow. It has drawbacks if you care to hear them. (pet friendly, too) OH they have single family homes, duplexes and townhouses. All rentals.

Okay, floor plan, picture this: living room/dining area combo with kitchen all at one end with two sliders to the lanai on the end. Then one long hall up the length of the house with 3br's on one side and bath and master suite on the other side. w&d included (all appliances)

Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM

431 posts, read 942,099 times
The property website:

The Waterfront at Pu'uloa Ewa Beach HI Apartments | For Rent Ewa Beach HI

And some reviews (click the "filtered" button on the Yelp site for a bunch of newer reviews):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-waterfro...ents-ewa-beach

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...b-1436435.html

Last edited by PaliPatty; 06-26-2013 at 09:14 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 AM

163 posts, read 318,000 times
Hunterseat- yes, I'd love to hear the drawbacks lol please

Palipatty-thanks for the links, I'll check those out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu