Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:32 AM

152 posts, read 372,459 times

Advertisements

From Pali Patty
But one more thing: Observation: So many come here and truly believe that they will be perfectly fine with downsizing and giving up the comforts they had elsewhere. But, again IME observing others, those trade-offs become thorns that become daggers that become machetes and eventually end up tipping the scales towards leaving Hawaii.

I have seen it so many times that my ears no longer perk up when the complaining starts. I just roll my eyes and think "here we go again...."[/quote]

---------
A terrific observation and comment. It applies to many places, and is used so often in "paradise" spots
such as USVI , Florida, and also so termed "cheaper" nation locales like Belize, Costa Rica, Equador, Phuket, Thailand, and Cebu, PI. With "paradise" come trade offs, for EACH person very different. The practical aspects of every location do not change, but, attitudes certainly can, and do. Happiness is between our ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
I read through the reviews. Everywhere you go in this world there are going to be people who love it and people who hate it. The Waterfront is former military housing. It's old and built single wall like most homes in Hawaii. My coworker has been living there for 6yrs and has never needed air conditioning. We've only been there 6 months but the temps here are very mild, not like where I was in the Memphis area. Speaking of...the bugs here don't hold a candle to that area!

The worst thing for me is the fact you can hear everything your neighbors are doing, which, given the activities going on... overhead airplane noise may be a good thing. If you look at any neighborhood in Hawaii, with the jalousie windows and small lots, that's a potential problem everywhere. If you study the overhead view of the place, you can see where the "high traffic areas" are. We'd choose a different location, one farther back on the property. Still, the people on the main drag have it worse. My coworker did relocate closer to the beach and said it greatly reduced the aircraft noise. AND the beach!!! They've rebuilt it and it's awesome. There's a dog beach and a dog park. Because the beach renovation was conducted as an environmental project they prohibit fishing want to provide a habitat for the undersea life to promote healthy water. This area is at the mouth of Pearl Harbor. You can sit on the beach and watch submarines heading out to sea (seriously. they aren't submerged yet in that area)
Not enough people ride The Bus in the community for them to make a trip down there. It is secluded but that has it's good points.
We have lots of cabinets and all appliances. WAY more room than we need. When you move in you can annotate any problems so when you leave you don't have to pay for any of those cosmetic repairs. My other half is a very picky carpenter and he's totally okay with these structures. Nice to have a carport to park out of the sun...

Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM

163 posts, read 317,211 times
Hunterseat- Any issues with the utility bill or power going off? What is the commute to downtown?

I'm having a rough time finding apartments/home for rent. I've checked apartment finder, apartment ratings and yelp. We are open to renting a house if we can afford one. I'm looking on craigslist also.

I'd prefer a furnished or half furnished 3br minimum but preferably 4br. Price Range 2000-2400 per month. Areas with an OK commute to downtown. I'd like outside play areas for the kids. I'm not sure I'd like staying downtown due to homeless and lack of play areas maybe? Maybe my price is too low for what I am looking for? Any suggestions?

Are there any rental sites I am missing?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
I think the power went off one day while we were at work because the microwave clock had to be reset but other than that, no outages that I know of. We commute to the airport every day. We made it in about a half hour today but schools are out for the summer so... The commuter lane is a pretty good thing. If you've ever been to L.A. the traffic is WAY better than there.

The Waterfront has playgrounds and a beach so... the Elementary school on property (and day care) is supposed to be good. We came with nothing and have found great deals at yard sales and on the side of the road on bulky trash pick-up day. People come and go so frequently (to the island) there's always someone selling something.

They have a good fb page. You can get a feel for the community there. There are problem areas, people who don't follow the rules but the two worst offenders for us when we first came here have been evicted (not keeping their places up)

here's a hint, though, when you make an appt the office already knows where they want to put you. They will show you a few, couple-three places. later you realize there are places vacant that would have been more desireable. So don't just take the first one they show you! Try to be in deeper and closer to the water. There are single family dwellings at the Waterfront but the duplexes have CMU block firewalls between and really are separated feeling.

I think there are other places very comparable. I miss not having a pool but then... you're oceanfront.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:54 PM

20 posts, read 90,910 times
I live in a 4br/3ba house w/ a 30 minute commute downtown. It's not updated, but it is 2400 sq ft. Rent is 3450/mo. Based on bills from last month...electric-$181.99, cable/internet - $112.57, water - $27.12, gas - $82.09, sewer -$67.10. Sure isn't cheap to live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu