Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:44 PM

128 posts, read 541,292 times

Advertisements

Well ill try to make this interesting and unique as best I can. I am 28, single male and im planning on moving to Honolulu this summer. The reasons why I am moving to Hawaii for my job and also because I am bored with where I live right now and dont really have much reason to stay here. I want to experience something new and exciting and I wanted to be somewhere more scenic, warm and beautiful and I feel this opportunity to work in Hawaii would be a nice option. Problem is, I have never been there before. It would have been nice if I wouldve been able to visit first but reality was, this was a limited offer for our employees within my company and I decided to take the chance and take up the offer before someone else does. Another issue is, I wont know anyone there. So my question is, does anyone think I am making a really irrational stupid decision to relocate to Hawaii all by myself without ever visiting and without knowing anyone there? I feel that sometimes in life, the biggest rewards come from the biggest risks we take. The way I feel my life is right now is, I feel trapped and hate living my life the way it is right now. I want to experience something new. I want to experience new cultures and new friends. However I do worry about being alone at first. I dunno if anyone can share their experience or knowledge on how easy it would be for someone like me a 28 yo single male to make friends there. I dont mind the part of moving away from home and being somewhere completely new however I guess my biggest concern is being able to make new friends there and being able to get situated there quickly. Any comments and inputs would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
no do not worry at all. single and 28 you should be just fine. take up surfing, snorkling, learn to scuba. hit the bars at happy hour even if you don't drink. sip a club soda and meet the people. yoiu will do fine and love it here. no worries

Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 PM

103 posts, read 305,108 times
I'm 26 years old and I moved here to Austin two years ago. I did move with someone, but we knew no one here (I mean no one - we didn't even have any acquaintances here), we didn't have a place to live, we didn't have jobs lined up. We were fine. We made it. We had a tough couple of months, but that's only because we were short on cash. Having a job will be a great leg up for you. Trust me, it's all what you make of it. If you want a good experience and work for it, you will get one. We are making the move to Hawaii this August because we're just restless like that and I'm sure everything will be just fine Good luck to you and I hope you love it if you decide to move. I say take that toe out of the water and jump in!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:20 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
I feel that sometimes in life, the biggest rewards come from the biggest risks we take.
Heck, yes. You've got the right idea. It's a risk and an adventure. If you're really unhappy where you are now, what do you have to lose?

If you are religious, find a church to join.

If you are into sports, join a paddle club.

Take a class (cooking? Hawaiian? anything... there's lots to choose from in Honolulu).

You'll meet people at work if nothing else.

I came here to work at UH, and my department set me up with a kokua... someone to help me get settled, find my way around, someone who I could ask stupid questions to... If you know who your supervisor is here, you might write and ask if they have any way to set you up with someone who lives here. It'll at least be a start to knowing someone here.

Best of luck.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM

52 posts, read 139,467 times
Hawaii is wonderful. The people are warm and generous as long as you are open to their culture. Some don't like "mainlanders", but most were very kind to me and my family. I think this IS the time for you to take a risk. You are young, single, and this is a chance of a lifetime.

I agree with everyone else. Take up some hobbies, join a church, etc.

I'd have a little cash reserve because it probably will be expensive getting set up initially.

Hawaii was my favorite place to live so far and I've been all over the country. Best of luck.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,306,760 times
I did exactly what you are describing a few years after I finished college (the first time). I moved to Ewa Beach (Oahu) to teach...knowing no one on the island. But I did have housing, which made the transition easier.

Loved it so much I did not want to leave after my six month committment was up (I was covering a maternity leave for a teacher). So I stayed and taught another year before moving to Honolulu and on to other work. Never regretted my decision!

My groups of friends, at first, were people I met through work, but that quickly expanded. Later, I moved to the Big Island for a job...knowing no one on this island. Again, that didn't last long...and I'm not really the most outgoing person in the world. You just have to get out there and go with the flow. For me, I've found that my circle of friends and acquaintances is much more diverse here than it ever was when I lived in the South. And I treasure that!!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
You could check out Yahoo personals to meet new folks in Honolulu. Joining a church is a good way to meet folks and there are many to choose from on Oahu. Just smile when you see folks, they will smile back. Borrow a puppy and take it walking in the park, you'll meet loads of folks.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Thank you everyone..its great to hear such positive responses and honestly listening and reading all your posts actually makes me feel much better and hopeful. I am religious and I do hope to find a nice church with people around my age. Im excited! Next step is to find a place to live i guess lol! Thanks agian.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,010 times
I am a 22 year old female and I am moving to Honolulu by myself for a job next month. Moving far away is always hard at first, but I would go crazy if I had to stay in Minnesota another winter. I'm not going to stay here just for other people. I'm sure you will do just fine!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 PM

Freezebaby...do you know anyone in Honolulu or like me are you heading there without know absolutely anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: