Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM

19 posts, read 45,431 times

Advertisements

If you have time visit Plantation Vilage in Waipahu! It's great when I was there some of the Mothers of young preschoolers decorated the trees there for Christmas. It's also not very expensive... hawaiiplantationvillage.org

I moved to Hawaii in 95 and left in 07 only because of my daughter's health. I would love to go back as my mom and brother are still there but until I finish school it probably won't happen. Have fun and enjoy it, I wish I were still there to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 AM

19 posts, read 45,431 times
I almost forgot the Dole Plantation in wahiawa....It has the maze and the pineapple chips are to die for.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:41 PM

34 posts, read 135,648 times
we live in waikiki and play tourist all the time a couple weeks ago we did the atlantis sub ride...that was really cool.

-parasailing
-skydiving
-horseback riding on the north shore
-snorkeling trips by boat and hanauma
-hiking: diamond head, makapu'u and manoa falls
-waimea bay
-sunset beach
-haleiwa for shave ice (matsumoto's), waialua bakery is great for smoothies and sandwiches
-luau: polynesian cultural center, germaine's, paradise cove, hilton has one with fireworks (closer to town)
-dole plantation
-kailua/lanikai beach...kayak out to the mokes
-ala moana beach park/magic island
-kapiolani farmer's mkt on saturday's (lots of hot plates too )
-50th state fair going on every weekend til june something
-chinatown
-kuhio at night to see hookers...kidding
-surf lessons
-buy floaties and just float around waikiki
-waikiki aquarium/zoo
-rent mopeds or scootcars
-sandy beach to watch body surfers...key word, watch
-puka dogs from int'l mkt and hank's haute dogs
-tantalus drive for awesome city views and sunsets
-punchbowl cemetary
-iolani sp palace
-bishop muesum
-sunset/booze cruise on catamaran in waikiki
-ko'olina
-electric beach for snorkeling (just don't leave anything in car)
-bubbie's for awesome homemade icecream and mochi icecream...mmm
-kapiolani park usually always has some type of festival going on
-ted's bakery on the north shore...chocolate haupia pie or their coconut cake is AMAZING
-hike around kaena point

should keep you busy!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM

155 posts, read 517,165 times
I am going to Honolulu next week and this time around I am taking a surfing lesson. I am also planning to hike the Koko Crater stairs (really rr ties), see Punchbowl, hike Manoa falls, hike Kuli`ou`ou ridge, fly to Moloka`i for the day and hike Kaulpapa, and many other things that I usually decide to do when I get there.
Last year I went to Byodo-In Temple for the first time and went over the Pali Highway, stopping at the lookout for the first time.
Everytime I go there is something I have never done and that's what I do. This next week will be my 9th trip and I will try and do new things, but I won't do everything cause then what would I do the next trip!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM

82 posts, read 479,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohikea View Post
I am going to Honolulu next week and this time around I am taking a surfing lesson ......
I'd advise you to do some research to find a decent place to take a lesson. I tried out one of the places right on Waikiki beach when I first moved out here and was disappointed. Seemed like the instructor I got (maybe it was just my instructor?) just wanted to rush you through it/wear you out.

Paddle out to the break --> turn around --> get pushed onto the next wave that comes regardless of anyone else riding it --> get yelled at to turn around and paddle back out to where the instructor was --> repeat

Just a heads up.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks Hibbity, I am doing my lesson with Hawaiian Fire Surf School. They take you out to White Plains Beach and it is not touristy crowded.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-09-2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: sorry but please no mention of competing sites. thanks

Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM

682 posts, read 2,798,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohikea View Post
Thanks Hibbity, I am doing my lesson with Hawaiian Fire Surf School. They take you out to White Plains Beach and it is not touristy crowded.
I did a lesson with Hawaii Fire a while ago. Good instructor to student ratio, and it's much less crowded (and less far to paddle out) where they take you. But they don't really "teach you to surf". They push you into a wave, just like Hibbity said. You will almost certainly stand up & ride a wave, so if that's your goal, go for it. But if you really want to learn to surf (i.e. be able to do it on your own next time), I'd keep looking. Just FYI.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks UH, I know they push ya to get ya going but I'm hoping that after a few times, I can learn to paddle myself into a wave (fingers crossed since I have been lifting weights since December). I am also taking a Stand Up Paddling lesson in Haleiwa with my cousin cause it looked like so much fun. Basically you are learn near the white monument in Haleiwa beach park and then paddle from there up the river. I am pretty excited about it but I think I'm gonna need a vacation from my vacation (I'm not a relaxer when I'm on island).

Old 02-10-2010, 01:58 PM

682 posts, read 2,798,194 times
They use SUP boards at Hawaii Fire for the surf lessons. This means they're really big & floaty... much easier to stand up and balance on even with bad form. But they are much, much harder to paddle. Even if you feel like you could paddle a surfboard into a wave, this isn't the same.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Ok good to know. This lesson will be the last time I will be able to get in the water for the trip since I am getting a new tattoo the next day. Next trip I can try surfing with a real board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu