Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 PM

37 posts, read 283,857 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has gone there recently to honolulu we'd love to hear what we should see or do. I've never been and can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,132,638 times
What kind of activities do you enjoy? Honolulu offers so many activities but some may not appeal to you at all. There are the 'usual' things like going to Pearl Harbor and taking the Arizona Memorial tour as well as the USS Bowfin tour.

You could visit Iolani Palace as well as Queen Emma's Summer Palace. Close to Iolani Palace is the Mission Homes museum - a cluster of Missionary homes that have been preserved.

The Pali lookout is very beautiful and if you like to hike you could go to the top of Diamond Head, the Makapu Lighthouse or to Manoa Falls.

Horseback riding, ATV trails, scuba diving, fishing boats, lunch/dinner cruises, snorkeling, surfing lessons, jet skiing (almost any water sport). The list is endless. We also have a concert hall and depending upon your visiting dates there may be a concert Opera, musical, play, ballet or other entertainment. I hope that you have a wonderful trip.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,595,009 times
Dont forget the snorkeling , North shore

Old 05-13-2009, 04:04 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,303,115 times
Byodo-in Temple! Punch Bowl, Pearl Harbor, Swap Meet for all your shopping needs! International Market place. (look but then buy your things at the Swap meet! )

Aloha stadium swap meet is one of the largest Swap meets in Hawaii. Experience the great shopping at Aloha Hawaii swap meet a...

The International Market Place

Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples, Oahu, Hawaii

USS Arizona Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

Punchbowl Memorial, Punchbowl Honolulu, Punchbowl National Cemetery

Old 05-13-2009, 05:12 PM

109 posts, read 351,298 times
When I first went we went to wakiki, and waimea bay and that was pretty much it. Wakiki was to crowded, but waimea was great. the next tiem we went was much better, we went to tons of different beaches like sadys beack makapu point(spelling, sorry) waimea falls, lanikai. Kayaked to the mokes, sharks cove, hanuama bay. Kailua beach, waimanalo beach. then we would go to wakiki at night just to hang out. it was great and we were so glad we didnt just stick with one beach like we did the 1st time. I must say waimea bay is one of my favorites.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM

115 posts, read 471,922 times
Like melaniej65 said what do you like to do? The free things to do are plenty but for the pay as you go things bring lots of cash. I don't think I remember any pay activity costing less then a hundred, I am sure there are I just always remember everywhere we went and ask how much the standard answer seems to have been $125

But for very little money for snorkeling, hiking, beach going and people watching.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM

43 posts, read 139,702 times
Whatever you do, try to spend as little time in your car as possible if you have one. The traffic
is heavy and what looks to be a simple drive can take a lot longer than you think. Stay to the RIGHT, let the local's get to where they gotta go !

Enjoy the local cuisine, best in the world ! Plate lunch, hot malasada's, great sushi, Korean BBQ, etc.
For a high end dinner (no ocean view though) consider Alan Wong's on King Street.

I always like to take my friends to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and marvel at the
beauty of a truly unique landmark on Waikiki. Grab a Mai Tai at the
outdoor bar in the evening and enjoy the music and the beauty of
Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head as the sun sets.

The best things in Hawaii are free. The beaches, (Waimanolo is my favorite) the local people, the
orchids, the trade winds...all free. There are more activities than you can possible imagine. Grab
a local Oahu Guide (they are everywhere) and if you are in a good Hotel, there is usually someone
who can help you get your game plan on.

Waikiki is all about shopping. Not my bag, but if your inclined, they have just about everything you
can think of from Gucci to great inexpensive trinkets at the International Market Place.
Everything you could possibly need can be found at the ABC Stores, I usually spend 1/4 of my
travel $ in there - lol.

Get some Aloha, there is nothing quite like it anywhere else in the world !

Old 05-16-2009, 05:41 PM

115 posts, read 471,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X529 View Post
Whatever you do, try to spend as little time in your car as possible if you have one. The traffic
is heavy and what looks to be a simple drive can take a lot longer than you think. Stay to the RIGHT, let the local's get to where they gotta go !

Enjoy the local cuisine, best in the world ! Plate lunch, hot malasada's, great sushi, Korean BBQ, etc.
For a high end dinner (no ocean view though) consider Alan Wong's on King Street.

I always like to take my friends to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and marvel at the
beauty of a truly unique landmark on Waikiki. Grab a Mai Tai at the
outdoor bar in the evening and enjoy the music and the beauty of
Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head as the sun sets.

The best things in Hawaii are free. The beaches, (Waimanolo is my favorite) the local people, the
orchids, the trade winds...all free. There are more activities than you can possible imagine. Grab
a local Oahu Guide (they are everywhere) and if you are in a good Hotel, there is usually someone
who can help you get your game plan on.

Waikiki is all about shopping. Not my bag, but if your inclined, they have just about everything you
can think of from Gucci to great inexpensive trinkets at the International Market Place.
Everything you could possibly need can be found at the ABC Stores, I usually spend 1/4 of my
travel $ in there - lol.

Get some Aloha, there is nothing quite like it anywhere else in the world !

Well said

Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,527,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisway08 View Post
Anyone who has gone there recently to honolulu we'd love to hear what we should see or do. I've never been and can't wait!
Step One:

Slow down, relax and enjoy.

Step Two: Repeat Step One

Old 05-17-2009, 09:49 AM

217 posts, read 640,977 times
don't make a lot of plans! take each day as it comes, slowly, savor it, absorb the sights and sounds and smells, stay as far away from "organized events" except of course pearl harbour or the swap meet (worth scheduling a day for!)
have fun! i went for thanksgiving and am going back august 14. it was the most magical and idyllic ten days of my life, and i can't wait to repeat it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu