Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 52,321 times

Advertisements

i am waiting on a ok to get a job at this place....what type of youth are they.....harder than the states.....are the same......also how do u live in kihei and work at this place...what type of trans do i need...i am a black american from DC 46 yr.old female....do they like blacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
The JCF is in Kailua close to castle Hospital. It is on Oahu and kihei is on Maui (most people actually live on the Island they work on!). If you have enough money and can handle the travel every duty day then it IS possible to live in Kihei and work on Oahu but WHY would you do this???

The kids are just like kids anywhere- there are a mixture of dangerous kids all the way to simple runaways. The respond to the person more than the Race of the person but I will say that there are a lot more Blacks here than when I was growing up.

The fact that you are a female will draw more reaction than your Race.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM

well thanks for the information

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM

how do i find out what apartments are in this area so i can get things moving...the closer to my job the better....also do i need to bring my car to this place,,,,is the facility close or somewhere far.....thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Contact the Juvenile Corrections and ask them directly what they would suggest. If they hire folks from the mainland frequently, they will already have the answers to these questions.

The Bus system on Oahu is pretty good and there is a lot of housing in the Kailua/Kaneohe area. You can get between the houses and the correction facility with a bicycle or a moped pretty easily so a car wouldn't really be necessary.

Check Craig's List for apartments in Kailua, Kaneohe, Lanikai and Enchanted Lakes.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
Look on Craigslist, The Honolulu Advertiser or the Star-bulletin (both papers have on-line ads) for some ideas. Look in Kailua, Enchanted Lakes or Kaneohe (there are not a great many apartment buildings in this area but there are some). I would plan on staying at a extended stay hotel for a bit so that you may look at the properties in person as well as getting a feel for the neighborhoods before committing yourself to a place.

The facility is right on the bus line so if you look on WWW.thebus.org you can find the timetables and see if they are compatible with your schedule. You may wish to consider a moped or scooter for your needs (if you plan on staying mainly on the Windward side of the Island), and while The Bus has excellent routes it can be a long ride if you need to go to Honolulu or other parts of the Islands. It is purely a personal choice whether or not to ship your car.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu