Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,641 times

Advertisements

So I took a look at this description of the predominant industries in Honolulu: https://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...u-Economy.html

...and I'm curious if any of you have anything to add to this description (aside from the fact that the economy/job market stinks right now).

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised to see "information" and "financial activities" listed as such small industries in the city.

Also, I'd be especially interested to hear thoughts on the "government" portion of Honolulu's economy. Are there many government jobs? Many private consulting jobs working with the government? Many non-profit jobs working with the government?

[To be clear: I'm really more interested in hearing more about Honolulu's long-term economy, as opposed to stories about how the economic recession has hit the city.]

Here's a small piece of the summary I linked to above:

The following is a summary of data regarding the Honolulu metropolitan area labor force, 2004 annual averages.

Size of non-agricultural labor force: 428,800
Number of workers employed in . . .

government: 95,700

trade, transportation and utilities: 79,300

leisure and hospitality: 60,500

professional and business services: 57,200

educational and health services: 53,300

financial activities: 22,100

construction and mining: 20,400

other services: 19,000

manufacturing: 12,000

information: 8,900

Largest employers Number of employees U.S. Government 91,850 City and County of Honolulu 11,350 Queen's Medical Center 3,000 Bank of Hawaii 2,500

Services and trade are considered the two largest growth industries for the County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,950,680 times
There are really only two industries on Oahu.

Government and Tourism.

There used to be a third - Sugar.

A side comment on your surprise at the small number of employees in Finance:

Fidelity Investments opened an office in downtown Honolulu about ten years ago. They closed it after about one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu