Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:44 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
I just done some research on mainland cities sending their homeless to Hawaii and what I found out is that some cities have had a trial program and New York City is trying it right now....
Nice to see that your "research" simply involves reading the links I provided in this thread and the Hawaii vs Washington DC thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/10003560-post14.html

You have now done this several times to forum members. This is just the first time you are being called out for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,713 times
actually watched the news this morning on the internet from NYC and checked out a couple of sites they talked about

Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 PM

53 posts, read 228,135 times
I too saw this report from New York City just yesterday and its the first confirmation I've seen of ANY state conducting such practices. However, as you've said, the report clearly stated that "family" had to be present (as legal residents) located in the destination state, and that the states so far utilized were restricted to the southeast corridor (e.g., Florida, Georgia, etc.). Not Hawaii.

Either way though, I'll admit that this kind of officially-sanctioned practice (or policy) seems absolutely incredible to me. In fact, its Gestapo-like! Firstly, from the standpoint of using taxpayer dollars without specific taxpayer approval, and secondly, from the standpoint of the affected individual. Clearly, no state (unless the individual has been detained for committing a crime) has the legal right or means to 'forcibly' relocate someone against their will.

But hey, I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:16 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,713 times
from what I got out of it they are not forced to leave but only if they initiate the process and NYC also does a follow up on the people and so far none have returned. But who knows what will lie ahead of them once at the new home.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I do not know how much truth there is, but Hawaii is much warmer in the winter when it is -20 below zero in Chicago and even colder in the Northeastern part of the United States. An abled body man might be able to scrounge up enough money to eat and maybe eventually get a job if he wanted one. Notice I said maybe and if. No one is born with a guarantee of a perfect life or a life-time warranty on body parts.

We should not have homeless or hungry, but we do.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalero View Post
In fact, its Gestapo-like! Firstly, from the standpoint of using taxpayer dollars without specific taxpayer approval, and secondly, from the standpoint of the affected individual. Clearly, no state (unless the individual has been detained for committing a crime) has the legal right or means to 'forcibly' relocate someone against their will.
Whre does it say this is forced?
Homeless family reuniting is not new. Many states have been doing this for decades. The first thing is this is not forced on anyone. The homeless person must want and agree to participate in the relocation. second, the family or responsible party on the other end must agree and have the means to help. Third, social services on the receiving end must verify the responsible party is capable of taking care of and assisting the person and willing to provide services to help that person get back on their feet. This is not dumping one states problem on another, it's assisting homeless people who want and agree to be reunited with family who wants and can help them.

As for taxpayer approval, when did we get the ability to say exactly where every penny of our money goes? You pay federal, state and county taxes. Does the County Council ask you if they can spend money on this and that? Did you authorize every penny from your Hawaii taxes to be spent on what it was spent on?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM

53 posts, read 228,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Whre does it say this is forced?
Homeless family reuniting is not new. Many states have been doing this for decades. The first thing is this is not forced on anyone. The homeless person must want and agree to participate in the relocation. second, the family or responsible party on the other end must agree and have the means to help. Third, social services on the receiving end must verify the responsible party is capable of taking care of and assisting the person and willing to provide services to help that person get back on their feet. This is not dumping one states problem on another, it's assisting homeless people who want and agree to be reunited with family who wants and can help them.

As for taxpayer approval, when did we get the ability to say exactly where every penny of our money goes? You pay federal, state and county taxes. Does the County Council ask you if they can spend money on this and that? Did you authorize every penny from your Hawaii taxes to be spent on what it was spent on?
Um, I didn't say that it HAD been "forced" on anyone there, Chief. What I said was that no state had the legal right to do so. Read the post before you start impetuously flailing away.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Bandalero, I'm so sorry. My Bad. I figured since it wasn't mentioned in any post; it was never mentioned in any media article; it's not anywhere in NYCs program; no program has a forced anything; and even Hawaii's program does not force anything on anyone, that you mentioning it was so unrelated to anything that the only thought was you must think there was something forced about it. After all, why even mention it if it had nothing to do with anything? My mistaken response was because I assumed you wanted people to belive that somehow this was forced upon people and that's why you made the specific point of mentioning that. So Sorry.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM

206 posts, read 466,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalero View Post
The State of Hawaii has done a 'dismal' job of managing the homeless problem here and it is the State of Hawaii who first circulated the purposefully incendiary and rubbish-based rumor about other (Mainland) states "paying" for the homeless to come out to Oahu one-way. Its complete and utter drivel, and I would argue that its rooted in a well-disguised but institutional-level desire to further aggravate race relations here in Hawaii. Basically, it helps foments anti-mainland, anti-haole sentiments, and discourages further unwanted (Hawaii-bound) immigration.
I agree, that does sound like a pretty ridiculous rumor, aimed at spreading more population tension. I would much rather that people looked at the inability of the US government as a whole to provide the huge amount of empty, unused housing (especially now...) to keep people from becoming homeless, rather than lash out at this or that person sleeping in a dumpster or on the beach. Some times people's families and "home towns" are really hostile and couldn't care less about them (and of course many people who became homeless as teens were trying to escape that), so forcing them to go back could be pretty harmful.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM

212 posts, read 699,588 times
I've seen a lot of homeless people and i can't help but feel for them.When you see some one in the northeast trying to live out in the cold you have to feel for them.It's a requirement for having a soul.No empathy,no compassion,...no soul.It's a rule.If you have to look up that rule?
Anyway i'd rather see the homeless in any place they couldn't freeze do death.What do you think is the solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: