Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 PM

70 posts, read 312,402 times

Advertisements

We're going to stay at Bellows AFB for a couple nights next week for the first time. Do we need beach shoes to go in the water there? How is the water this time of year? Calm, rough?
Any good places to go for dinner in the area?
Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM

263 posts, read 868,269 times
"Beach shoes"...that's the first time I've heard of it.
I've stayed at Bellows AFB a few times and we didn't need beach shoes. You'll be fine in the water. It's pretty safe and not too rocky. The water feels colder this time of year but cold to a local is not cold to someone from the Mainland. I find the waves are choppier this time of year.

Bellows is in the Waimanalo area which is not exactly known for its dining options. It has plate lunch places, Jack in the Box, McDonald's, etc. You might want to go to the nearby town of Kailua which is a 10 minute drive because it has all sorts of restaurants. Or you could take a very scenic drive around Waimanalo to Hawaii Kai (25-30 minutes) if you're looking for a nice place to eat.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Thank you! I figured we'd have to drive to Kailua to eat. Any suggestions for Kailua or Hawaii Kai? Parents coming from Mainland, want to go somewhere good. And I'm not familiar w/ places on that side of the island, so any ideas would be appreciated. Would really love some good seafood if there's a good place for that.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM

62 posts, read 332,702 times
Hi there,

Bellows is a fun beach - we enjoy taking our family there on weekends. The sand is fine, no need for beach shoes, it is not rocky. Something you should know is that the windward beaches tend to get more jellyfish. It depends on the time of the month you are there - and also if the wind is blowing them into the beach. Usually they have signs up if it is really bad.

We live in Hawaii Kai - a few restaurants are Roy's (very nice fine dining), Assagio's (nice Italian), Cha, Cha, Cha (casual mexican/caribbean), Blu Water Grill (nice varied menu), the Shack (burgers, beer), Zippy's (family friendly diner food), Outback Steakhouse, Maile's (Thai), etc. There are several more too, that is just what I could come up with off the top of my head. Hawaii Kai also has a Costco if you want to stock up on water, and snacks.

It will take you about 20 minutes to drive from Bellows to Hawaii Kai.

Also, consider going to Hanauma Bay while you are here - great snorkeling. It is right off Kalanianaole Hwy. on your way to Hawaii Kai. Can't miss the signs.

Have fun!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. We love Thai.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 AM

66 posts, read 233,453 times
Just go to Keneke's to eat. Some of the best food on the island, IMO.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermom View Post
Hi there,

... Also, consider going to Hanauma Bay while you are here - great snorkeling. It is right off Kalanianaole Hwy. on your way to Hawaii Kai. Can't miss the signs.

Have fun!
Bellows is Terrific ... agree with everything said in the other posts about the place: the beach, the jellyfish-watch, the limited choices for dining (!) ...

also agree that Hanauma Bay is a great day and awesome snorkeling -- IF you can get in there! ... It is, unfortunately, such an outstanding park / experience that access is brutal ... the parking lots are FULL by 10AM at the latest (more like 9AM ... sometimes earlier) and you can't even (safely or legally) drop off passengers up on the highway above the Park entrance and then walk down. Take a bus or cab. Or plan ahead for that (wonderful) adventure.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn1998 View Post
Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. We love Thai.
There are two good Thai Restaurants in Kailua - Saengs on Hahani St. and Champa Thai on Kuulei Rd.

Thai restaurants - Google Maps

For an upscale experience, I recommend Buzz's Original Steak House at the beach.

restaurants - Google Maps

Hank

Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 PM

263 posts, read 868,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn1998 View Post
Thank you! I figured we'd have to drive to Kailua to eat. Any suggestions for Kailua or Hawaii Kai? Parents coming from Mainland, want to go somewhere good. And I'm not familiar w/ places on that side of the island, so any ideas would be appreciated. Would really love some good seafood if there's a good place for that.
There is also an Assagio restaurant in Kailua. It serves pretty good Italian food. There are a couple of other places that serve Italian food - Baci Bistro, Zia's Cafe, and California Pizza Kitchen. One night when we were at Baci Bistro some of the cast from the TV series LOST showed up. Apparently they are regulars there.

If you like Mexican food there Los Garcias on Oneawa Street. Brent's Restaurant and Deli on Kailua Road serves NYC style deli food. Noboru on Hamakua Drive serves Japanese food. So does Tokoname on Uluniu Street.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM

I'm getting hungry w/ all the restaurant suggestions! Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu