Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 PM

168 posts, read 727,723 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Honolulu the begining of June. I need to find somewhere temporary to stay for a month or two while I look for somewhere more permanant. What would be the best way to find a short term rental like this? I'd prefer to not stay in a hotel bc the cost will add up fast. Also, I realize June is 8 months away but when should I book a place if I can find one? Is now to soon? Should I wait until after the first of the year? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM

850 posts, read 4,370,601 times
some landlords will do a month to month lease; others may not and make you commit to a yearly lease. some will NOT even consider renting to a person who is not physically here--they'll want to do a "look see" and/or credit check. most will require a security deposit plus the first month's rent.

where will you be working? that will make a difference on where you should look.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,599,168 times
try VRBO.com vacation rentals by owners furnished places

Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,539,874 times
A 3 month rental in Hawaii qualifies you as "long term" for the GET (general exise tax), meaning that you pay only 4.166% instead of around 12% on your rental price. It may pay to rent for 3 months instead of 2 .

Old 09-30-2009, 01:45 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
A 3 month rental in Hawaii qualifies you as "long term" for the GET (general exise tax), meaning that you pay only 4.166% instead of around 12% on your rental price. It may pay to rent for 3 months instead of 2 .

Unless they have changed the law this week, that is incorrect. Under a 6 month rental is considered a "vacation rental" and subject to the 8.25% Transient Accomodations Tax in addition to the GE Tax. The 4.166% GE tax is applicable to all rentals and most services and products at every level of the transaction. Any "lease" that starts out "month to month" is simply a vacation rental by another name. I can rent you a vacation condo for 3 months and I call it a reservation or a booking. Someone else may advertise "MTM" as opposed to true long term. After your initial 6 month term expires, then you can go month to month if your landlord allows it.

One may see "all inclusive" prices because the law allows the tax to be either visibly passed on to the customer, or not. Some just add the tax in, and round of the number for ease. However they do pay the tax on their gross income (or at least they're supposed to).

Now, to answer the OP, it is way too early to be looking for a rental for June 2010. If you called my office, unless you booked a vacation property I would have no idea which of my long term properties might be available 2 months from now let alone next June. You are better off to secure temporary accomodations, 2 weeks should be enough, so that upon your arrival you can look at long term rentals IN PERSON.

NEVER never never rent long term "sight unseen"!! Summer is low season and you should have many to choose from.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:29 PM

168 posts, read 727,723 times
I kinda figured it was to early to start looking. I am just one of those people that likes everything figured out & organized as early as possible so things don't go wrong. I'm a little OCD about stuff lol

But KonaKat-I have read a ton of posts to not rent long term until I am there. 2 weeks is enough to find somewhere at the beginning of summer? Again, I am worried about getting there & not finding something or settling for something bad bc I don't have enough time. Sorry, I probably sound crazy but I am soo nervous about this move!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,426,152 times
So then, arrange for something for 1 month to give yourself more time. No big deal. Summer is low season. The snowbirds are long gone by June, and I doubt the rental market will improve greatly by next June. We have a high inventory on Big Island although parts of Oahu may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: