Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 PM

167 posts, read 876,749 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Well my husband is in the military and we are transferring next year. I am trying to find out about some different places that we have to choose from. I think Hawaii would be a beautiful place to live, but I have heard nothing but bad things about the public schools. We have a 6 year old son with autism and also a 1 year old daughter. I have been reading some about charter schools as an alternative to public schools. It sounds like you dont have to pay tuition for a charter school like you would for a private school. Is that right?? I appreciate any more info on this. Thanks!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
Hi all. Well my husband is in the military and we are transferring next year. I am trying to find out about some different places that we have to choose from. I think Hawaii would be a beautiful place to live, but I have heard nothing but bad things about the public schools. We have a 6 year old son with autism and also a 1 year old daughter. I have been reading some about charter schools as an alternative to public schools. It sounds like you dont have to pay tuition for a charter school like you would for a private school. Is that right?? I appreciate any more info on this. Thanks!

Jennifer
No, you do not have to pay tuition to charter schools.
However, there is a waiting list. Odds are, you will not get in for at least one year. With the current "Friday Furloughs" you will also get only 4 days of "education" per week. Don't move here if you can help it since you have a child with extra needs.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:

Jennifer

There are many DOD schools on the various bases on Oahu; were will your husband be stationed?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:59 AM

263 posts, read 867,424 times
Quote:

Jennifer
Jen - You don't have to pay tuition for charter schools because they are part of the public education system. There's a particular charter school in Hawaii that I am thinking of sending my child to even though our neighborhood school is great. I would have to get what's known as a GE or geographic exemption to send my child to this charter school since it's not the home school for my child. It's not that hard to get a GE. Send me a Direct Message if you want my tips on how to get one. This charter school has programs that aren't available at some of the other public elementary schools and it looks like the kids perform well on tests. I've heard from a reliable source that at least four quite high-functioning autistic kids have attended that school.

Public schools in Hawaii aren't the greatest but then from what I can tell schools in other states aren't that great either these days. I've had some great public school teachers when I was in public elementary school here. My child has a great teacher this year. So there are some gems in the local DOE system. It's too bad that it's such a bloated system with a bad reputation.

Last edited by Afishwithabike; 11-25-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 11-26-2009, 09:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I forgot to mention that he is in the Coast Guard and the base is in honolulu...

Balad, are the DOD schools better than the public schools?

Afish, that school sounds good, id like to know more info

Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 AM

Do the DOD schools have special education programs?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the info. I forgot to mention that he is in the Coast Guard and the base is in honolulu...

Balad, are the DOD schools better than the public schools?

Afish, that school sounds good, id like to know more info
I would think that you could still enroll your kid/kids at a DOD school at Pearl, Hickam, Shafter, etc. I would think the DOD school would be head and shoulders above local public schools. DOD schools have no money problems and are better resourced. Of course private would be the best but otherwise I would look to the DOD.

PS: Pearl has some really nice new housing at Ford Island; you might try looking into that too.

Last edited by Balad1; 11-26-2009 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks balad

Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 7,285 times
Wink charter schools better than public

Hi Jen YES charter schools are awesome, but are sometimes difficult to get into. I currently live in southern California and my sons attend a k thru 12 charter school...the waiting lists is 2 years long. We are moving to the islands this year, I am trying to find a charter high school for my sons, they love their school so much, that it is actually dampening their feelings about moving to oahu. If anyone could give me some information on good high schools or charter schools for high school kids, I would be so appreciative. I wish you luck Jen I work at a public school and we have a wonderful special needs program, where most of the children are thriving. The best advice I could give you, is to be involved in the school and maintain good communication with not only the teachers, but the support staff that will be working with your son.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:25 PM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
With the current "Friday Furloughs" you will also get only 4 days of "education" per week.
There were scheduled 17 Furlough Fridays for the standard school year - not every Friday - but a good portion of them.
Link to official calendar released by the BOE: http://doe.k12.hi.us/news/furlough/calendars/PUBLICDOEcalendar0910furloughfinal.pdf (broken link)

Also, there are talks and offers till being had to change the FF schedule for next [school] year - although at the cost of some "special fund" [read: our Hurricane Fund]: U.S. education official criticizes Hawaii's Furlough Fridays - Breaking - Starbulletin.com (see last paragraph).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: