Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:48 AM

263 posts, read 868,351 times

Advertisements

You're welcome. We're all getting discounts at Home Depot from you, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM

20 posts, read 38,886 times
Haha. We dont even get discounts and we work there. Thanks again yall for the info. Does anyone know about how many miles it is from Waikiki to the Honolulu Home Depot?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen&Jared-FromAK View Post
Yeah I see where you are coming from with the noise and constant traffic but we have to be close to the Home Depot, food, shops, and the beach would be nice as well. I dont know if I'm asking for too much or what, but it seems like theres no where to live with all that around there without paying an arm and a leg for. Since we wont have a car for 6 months or so we're going to be walking every where or taking the bus.
If you don't have to bring all your possssions with you right away, you might be better off renting a studio wth kitchenette at Waikiki, while you get accustomed to the area. Places like the Maile Sky Court hotel or the Island Colony have some studios going around $1200/month. It's a small space, but one you wouldn't be spending much time in anyway. They also have a pool, and coin op laundry. We like he location of the Sky Court better, but Island Colony rooms have a balcony. The bus pass is $40/month, and you can hope a bus on Kuhio near either of these places and go directly to Home Depot. One of the best things about Hawaii is it's wonderful mix of cultures, so explore an enjoy the differences. One of the best places to stock up on basics is Costco, and you'll be working right near it. It's easy to go accross the Costco parking lot, through the Dole Cannery building, and catch the bus right by the Regal Theater movie house back into Waikiki. Once you've had a few months to get your bearings, you'll know your way around a bit more, and will know if Waikiki is best for you. Enjoy!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks alot for all the info. I cant wait to get there next month. Im just going to have to buy a bike or moped for transportation to and from work. We'll make it though!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,441 times
Quote:
Haha. We dont even get discounts and we work there. Thanks again yall for the info. Does anyone know about how many miles it is from Waikiki to the Honolulu Home Depot?
5 miles. The time will vary, because the route is right through downtown Honolulu.

from: Waikiki, oahu to: Alakawa St. and N. Nimitz Hwy - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/ybul95l - broken link)

Hank

Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Default Take the bus

Here are the bus directions from the center of Waikiki to the downtown Home Depot - Route 20:

from: 345 seaside Ave to: N. Nimitz Hwy and Alakawa St. - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/yfbs7co - broken link)

About thirty five minutes.

Hank

Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 AM

A little longer going back to Waikiki 45 minutes:

from: N. Nimitz Hwy and Alakawa St. to: 345 seaside Ave - Google Maps

Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much. That's alot faster than I thought! What a relief. Im starting to feel better about this move next month. Again thanks a bunch everyone.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times
Quote:
Yeah I see where you are coming from with the noise and constant traffic but we have to be close to the Home Depot, food, shops, and the beach would be nice as well. I dont know if I'm asking for too much or what, but it seems like theres no where to live with all that around there without paying an arm and a leg for. Since we wont have a car for 6 months or so we're going to be walking every where or taking the bus.
I agree with the other poster about the high prices in Waikiki. There are many apartments in the Kapiolani Blvd area of Honolulu. Anywhere from Ward Ave up to the Kinau Street area, through Ala Moana and Kalakaua Ave area would be good and should have easy access to The Bus. You should ask your friends to look around this area for a secure building w/ a studio or 1 bedroom apartment/condo. I have a friend who just started renting a studio in the Ward area in a secure building for $900 a month. You would be within walking distance of the beach areas of Ala Moana and Kewalo and within a short drive/walking distance to Ala Moana shopping Center which has a Foodland and Longs Drugs store. Keeaumoku St. has a Wal Mart, Wal Greens and Sams Club and on Kaheka St (just off of Kapiolani) there is a Don Quiote store that has all sorts of housewares and is also a Supermarket with a vast selection of Asian foods. And this entire area is also a very short bus ride to Waikiki if you want to experience the tourist trap thing or get a 2nd job there. Good luck on your move!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:46 PM

Thanks so much that is a huge help.

Let me update where we're at with moving. We are still leaving Jan 27th but have changed our minds on renting something small for just the two of us. We are going to rent with roommates if possible. Its just as hard finding a room to rent with there being 2 of us. This seems to be the smarter thing for us financially at first to get our feet wet. We want something pretty nice and close to Wakiki its ok if its alittle ways away like walking distance or short bus. With us renting a room this will make it more affordable for us to get a car. Then we can move into more of a neighbor hood like setting and drive. We are down to 32 days and couldnt be more excited! Can anyone tell me any other areas close to Waikiki? Hope everyone had a great Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu