Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM

57 posts, read 121,046 times

Advertisements

Mahalo for your help! I have 3 dogs and new to Hawaii. Need to get heartworm testing and heartworm pills. I live in Pearl City but willing to drive a ways to get to a good vet.

Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM

263 posts, read 868,770 times
The cheapest vet clinic I know is the Blue Cross Animal Hospital on 1318 Kapiolani Boulevard in town. It's by the intersection of Piikoi and Kapiolani. We go there for routine things. However, you get what you pay for. It's a really bare bones kind of place with interesting characters in the waiting room. It's not a big fancy place. Frankly I think it could use a makeover. But you don't get charged big fees. Some other vets seem to really pile on the fees. You walk in the door and it's "cha-ching!" $30 before you even talk to the vet. I think Blue Cross is more than capable of doing routine heartworm testing. We just did our dog's annual shots there yesterday.

I also like Makai Animal Clinic in Kailua. It's clean, well-staffed, and the vets have a lot of experience. They're not cheap but they treat all sorts of animals from rabbits to dogs. My dog had an operation there once. She was in excellent hands and had a good recovery.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 PM

682 posts, read 2,797,502 times
I use "The Pet Clinic" in Honolulu as my regular vets... Dr. Craig and Dr. Roy are both great. (Bothers, and their dad used to be in the business, so first names work better.)

When we had a doggy emergency on Easter Sunday, we went to the VCA Animal Hospital in Pearl City, and they took good care of our girls. Since they're close to you and are the only 24-hour place on the island, you might try them and see if you like them. VCA Family Animal Hospital | Home

Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 AM

155 posts, read 545,532 times
Go find a pet store near you. Ask them. If the manager won't give you a name, ask the individual employees. People who work in pet stores are gonna have pets themselves. Bring a notepad. Hope that helps. -- Lisa ;-)

Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 PM

91 posts, read 279,455 times
Usually I am not a fan of chain vets, but I LOVE Dr. Kwock at VCA in Pearl City. They aren't cheap, but I don't think they are outrageous. She is so sweet, follows up on everything, and truly treats my dogs like patients, not just potential sources of income.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM

57 posts, read 121,046 times
Thank you all for your advice. I think I will check out the VCA in Pearl City.

Mele Kalikimaka!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu