Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:11 PM

168 posts, read 727,128 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Honolulu in June and was wondering if there was any particular area that is more popular with young people. I will be 22 and a fresh college grad. I am single & will be living alone so I do want somewhere relatively safe for a single girl to live. I was just looking for any input on what areas have more young ppl or are more geared towards a young single person's lifestyle. I'd like to be able to go out easily so I can meet new ppl & make new friends. Any input on good areas or areas to avoid is appreciated! Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 01:17 AM

128 posts, read 541,569 times
1. Waikiki..if you can afford it
2. Anywhere near the 2 universities
3. Anywhere with a "Honolulu" address

Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Kailua and Kaneohe, too. Kaimuki, although that's near the university. The island is small enough you'll be able to wander about and visit friends. Also, where you end up at the beginning isn't somewhere you have to stay if you don't like it.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
1. Waikiki..if you can afford it
2. Anywhere near the 2 universities
3. Anywhere with a "Honolulu" address
There is another thread on here and the poster, I think she was a nurse and did a five month temporary job in Honolulu, said her employers initially placed her in Waikiki. She moved out after a short while and said, regarding Waikiki, "never again".

Is living in Waikiki only okay if you don't intend to drive? Is it small enough that you can walk everywhere?

Another question about Waikiki - how bad would the traffic be in the morning going towards the Honolulu airport, and in the afternoon coming back from the airport? I'm assuming that is the opposite direction of commuter traffic, right?

Also, is the Ala Moana Park area considered part of Waikiki or is it far enough away to not be troubled by the traffic of Waikiki?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,039,794 times
Also, is the Ala Moana Park area considered part of Waikiki or is it far enough away to not be troubled by the traffic of Waikiki?

------------------------------------------------------------

Same general area, same traffic.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:49 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
The Bus is a very workable situation on Oahu. Then you can ride and let someone else do the driving. The traffic in Waikiki and downtown Honolulu can get pretty gridlocked. I generally rode a motorcycle or a bicycle because it was easier to get through traffic. I lived in Waikiki for about ten years, it is an interesting place although very superficial. Kinda crazy and very noisy, too, if you don't find just the right spot. Not a good place for a family, but a great place to be young and have fun.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 PM

541 posts, read 2,140,106 times
My daughter will be graduating this spring from HPU and lives in Waikiki. She loves it there! The bus takes her everywhere she needs to go and there are a lot of activites for people your age.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 PM

168 posts, read 727,128 times
I am also wondering how long I should get a temporary rental for. I'd like to find something hopefully w/ roommates (to help w/ the cost & to meet some ppl) but can't very well do that until I am there. So I am renting an apt in Waikiki but do you think a month will be long enough to figure out a permanent situation, or should I rent the temp apt for two months? Just interested in your opinions and thoughts. Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,149 times
Rent a vacation rental condo for a month. That will let you get the lay of the land and see if that's the area you want.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 PM

128 posts, read 541,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiem8 View Post
I am also wondering how long I should get a temporary rental for. I'd like to find something hopefully w/ roommates (to help w/ the cost & to meet some ppl) but can't very well do that until I am there. So I am renting an apt in Waikiki but do you think a month will be long enough to figure out a permanent situation, or should I rent the temp apt for two months? Just interested in your opinions and thoughts. Thanks for all the help.
One month should be plenty of time assuming you will not be busy with work/school and will have plenty of time to look for apts and are not too overly picky about trying to find the "perfect" place..I found my permanent place in only 3 days after i landed here. By the way, where are you from? I ask because depending where you are from, apts that you may be used to back home may not be the same as the apts here in terms of cost, space, and modernization..just something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu