Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM

40 posts, read 79,841 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Oahu at the end of the summer with my boyfriend and our doberman, Isis. She has already begun her shots and testing to minimize the quarantine in Honolulu. Unfortunately she won't be ready to go until the end of the summer.
Does anyone know the most effective way to transport a 70 lb. dog from Chicago to Honolulu? Her safety is first and foremost and cost is a pretty hefty player as well.
As for our belongings we have a small two bedroom apartment, and the only big piece is our queen size bed. The rest is electronics and kitchen stuff. Is it worth it to move these things? Any recommendations?
We were in Oahu about two weeks ago for nine days, we loved it instantly. We saw the entire island and really liked waikiki and the Diamond Head area. Neither of us drive very much and would both wind up working in Waikiki. Any suggestions on finding a decent apartment. I've tried craigslist and PetsOK.com rent.com and apartmentfinder.com they all seem filled with gimmicks...
I would appreciate any piece of advice from anyone! Especially those who have moved from the mainland to Hawaii or those that are planning on it and already have all their eggs in a row. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
This post is a must read. It contains answers to many of the questions you are asking and has links to other posts which further reference your questions.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...d-answers.html

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-21-2010 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: corrected URL

Old 02-21-2010, 01:07 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Well, I can understand how after a two week Hawaiian vacation you'd want to leave Chicago in the wintertime and move to Hawaii. However, Hawaii on vacation isn't anything at all like living in Hawaii. It just isn't. The entire city of Waikiki is designed to make tourists feel good and take all the money out of their pockets at the same time. It does this well. No worries, lots of relaxing and even if it is expensive, it's just for two weeks so it's all okay.

However, when instead of being the one who is being served, you move over to Hawaii and become the server, it is an entirely different kettle of fish. You won't be making as much money as a similar type of worker on the mainland and everything will be either just a little bit more expensive or a lot more expensive than the mainland counterpart. This means folks have to work harder and have less to "live in paradise". This is also called "the paradise tax" and many folks are willing to pay it to get away from mainland winters. So be aware of it and factor it into your plans.

As for finding a decent apartment, you can't use the word "apartment" (let alone "decent apartment") and "doberman" in the same sentence and find anything other than "no large dogs". It also isn't fair to a large active breed like that to keep them contained in a small apartment and there aren't any large apartments you can afford in Hawaii. That pretty much limits you to renting a house with a yard and that will double your rent. The first question is: Is it worth it to you to spend roughly an additional twelve thousand a year in additional rent to keep your dog with you? Can Isis stay with a family member until you get to Hawaii, find jobs and find a place to keep her?

Until you find work, it might be best to put all your stuff in storage on the mainland, find someone to keep Isis until you are ready for her and fly over to find employment and a small place to live. Isis won't be ready to fly until end of summer so that gives you awhile to find jobs and find a place for her to stay. I'd suggest round trip tickets just in case it doesn't work out. They aren't that much more expensive (some cases less expensive) than one way tickets and you'd have an out if you needed it. It would cost about as much to ship the bed as to buy a new one. Basically, live out of a suitcase and get an inflatable bed until you know you will be able to survive in Hawaii. As you find work, then you will be able to furnish your apartment. In six months, you will know if you will be able to get by and you will then be able to bring Isis out. It also allows you to start small instead of having to immediately rent someplace you can have a dog and gives you more chance of making it work.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 PM

I was raised in New York and have lived in New Orleans as well as Los Angeles. I know all about high cost of living. We also have two more trips to Oahu this summer before making the final move. This is just to find a home. As for work, yes we'd like to find it as soon as we can, however, money is not a major concern of ours. I do thank you for your time and thoughts, I will keep them in mind over the next several months.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 AM

ISO positive feedback

Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,439 times
I second the part about buying a round trip ticket. Set the return trip for 6 months or so. It IS cheaper to book a round trip than a one way because you can use discount travel sites. I checked hotwire and expedia (for myself) and both were cheaper than one way.

I mostly always encourage people to go for things like this but maybe I'm biased because I'M going for it as well! Well, I dont really encourage it if the person/couple have kids. Then I think your focus should be your children and thier safety, not your own desire for risky adventure..but that's another thread.

Do the majority of people really expect to be waited on 24/7, shop, swim/surf constantly, and not work when they move to Hawaii? Maybe I'm just too used to working in service, but Im shocked that everyone says its common for people to expect that if you live in Hawaii you automatically don't have to work and can just chill and play all the time...?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:16 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,996 times
Default It's Just Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
. . . Do the majority of people really expect to be waited on 24/7, shop, swim/surf constantly, and not work when they move to Hawaii? Maybe I'm just too used to working in service, but Im shocked that everyone says its common for people to expect that if you live in Hawaii you automatically don't have to work and can just chill and play all the time...?
I don't think most people are *that* unrealistic. I do think that many people come here as tourists and have a choreographed experience of wonderment rolled out in front of them with few obstacles. Then they move here and find a lot of unanticipated, inexplicable, entrenched bureaucracy and red tape. The frustrations can quickly give you a different perspective of "paradise."

A guest having to wait in line to rent a car is nothing like a resident's having to drive back-and-forth across an island multiple times between dealer and county offices to gather certified papers for a simple auto registration, for instance.

Best of luck.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM

67 posts, read 257,959 times
Why don't you encourage a move to Hawaii if the person/couple has kids? I assume b/c public schools are so bad and you'll likely have to pay for private school or are there other reasons?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalofy View Post
I'm moving to Oahu at the end of the summer with my boyfriend and our doberman, Isis. She has already begun her shots and testing to minimize the quarantine in Honolulu. Unfortunately she won't be ready to go until the end of the summer.
Does anyone know the most effective way to transport a 70 lb. dog from Chicago to Honolulu? Her safety is first and foremost and cost is a pretty hefty player as well.
As for our belongings we have a small two bedroom apartment, and the only big piece is our queen size bed. The rest is electronics and kitchen stuff. Is it worth it to move these things? Any recommendations?
We were in Oahu about two weeks ago for nine days, we loved it instantly. We saw the entire island and really liked waikiki and the Diamond Head area. Neither of us drive very much and would both wind up working in Waikiki. Any suggestions on finding a decent apartment. I've tried craigslist and PetsOK.com rent.com and apartmentfinder.com they all seem filled with gimmicks...
I would appreciate any piece of advice from anyone! Especially those who have moved from the mainland to Hawaii or those that are planning on it and already have all their eggs in a row. Mahalo!
To answer your question United airlines have a direct flight from OHare to HNL . I would say this would be the less stressful on you and your dog. I am in the process of taking my dog to Lax then off to Kona the cost of your dog to fly with you is $250.
As to your belongings try AFB kinda like pods also try pods they go to Hnl to.
Good luck its a lot of work I can attest to it right now!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybarnes View Post
Why don't you encourage a move to Hawaii if the person/couple has kids? I assume b/c public schools are so bad and you'll likely have to pay for private school or are there other reasons?
I don't enourage people to move far away if they have kids because moving a long distance costs a lot of money and is unnessesary. I don't encourage parents to spend frivolously on themselves or quit thier job and become an artist, etc. I mean, if you have the money do do it easily, then yeah, but otherwise imo, it's just too risky when you have kids to support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu