Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times

Advertisements

There is no doubt that the large military presence on Oahu has helped to create a larger population than what would have otherwise been on the island. That larger population, in turn, has created the necessity for hotels, restaurants, and other infrastructure that in turn, draws even more people. Large cities are able to weather downturns in an economic cycle better than rural areas as well.

The relative smallness of the island also helps in creating an illusion of closeness between the peoples and makes it easier for tourists to go from one "must-see" to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM

82 posts, read 478,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Also, island hopping is less than 30 minutes by plane and there is also the new ferry service as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Is the Super Ferry still running?
No.

Oahu has --
State Capital/government
Financial Headquarters (banks, etc.)
Ports (trade, etc.)
Multiple military installations (Pearl Harbor being the headquarters of the Pacific Fleet)
Universities (UH, BYU, Chaminade, HPU, probably more)
Waikiki (Largest tourism industry of all islands)

I was googling around trying to find a researched answer for this but couldn't find anything concrete. Some of the things listed (by myself and others) have a bit of the "chicken before the egg" to them.

Is the high end shopping here because of the tourists or are the tourists here because of the shopping? Is the largest airport here because of how many people are here or are the people here because the largest airport is here? Ah well.

Maybe we need to look back further -- where did native Hawaiians setup shop/live/govern from?

Last edited by HibbityDibbity; 03-11-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
A lot of it has to do with the age of the island. Oahu is an older island so the cliffs are eroded into wondrous mountains, the beaches are covered with white sand instead of being rocky and there are the big waves of North Shore. Since the island is small, most of the folks are fairly close to a beach. Oahu has large flat areas for building houses, shopping malls, airports, etc. so there are a lot of constructed areas to live in and to visit while on vacation. It is a great island to live on, if it just weren't so expensive and congested, I'd live there still.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,021 times
Oahu is also very popular for the Japanese because of the many different shopping options. It is also very accommodating for guests without cars, and many Japanese do not like to drive when abroad.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM

243 posts, read 813,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I thought the ferry didn't exist anymore
Yep you are correct. Oops!

Looks like it is only used for weddings and stuff. But still, flights aren't bad. Short and sweet!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:50 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,196 times
Government may lease the ferry for a state run service

Lawmakers Consider Interisland Ferry Revival - Honolulu News Story - KITV Honolulu (http://www.kitv.com/news/22504587/detail.html - broken link)

Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I've never been to Hawaii, but I was curious as to why Oahu is the most popular of the islands?
1. Waikiki

2. Waikiki Beach

3. Waikiki Nightlife

4. Waikiki Hotels

Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
I didn't know much about the history. I was talking about the *reason* it became so developed and populated.

The sandier beaches would make sense, like someone mentioned.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,121 times
I would guess that a large part of it, in the 20th century, was because that was where the military placed their biggest installations (in the islands). But why THEY chose Oahu, from among the Hawaiian island? I don't know. Perhaps it was some strategic advantage of how the island/ports/etc. are laid out.

Once you had the military presence, that would prompt development to serve the soldiers/sailors and their families, create nightlife for 'shore leave', etc.

I would love to learn more about how and why all of the islands have developed as they have. Guess I have to hit the history section of the library.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
I would guess that a large part of it, in the 20th century, was because that was where the military placed their biggest installations (in the islands). But why THEY chose Oahu, from among the Hawaiian island? I don't know. Perhaps it was some strategic advantage of how the island/ports/etc. are laid out..
I'll be a little more serious about my answer to the above. My last answer (Waikiki, etc.) was really about why more tourists visit Oahu than the other islands.

I think the reason Oahu became the most populated island after contact with the outside world, and before the advent of air travel, was particularly because of its three ports, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, and Kaneohe Bay. All three of those ports are naturally protected from the open ocean, and ships could land there without fear of swells from the prevalent trade winds, which bring swells from the northeast. I'm old enough to remember the days of Matson Navigation providing the majority of transportation to and from the west coast - Ships like the Lurline, the Matsonia, the Monterey, the Mariposa. I rode one to the West Coast in 1960.

I really think that shipping had more to do with growth than the military, except for the period 1941-1945.

Thinking of the harbors on the other islands:

Kauai - the biggest port now is Nawiliwili, but that port would be almost unusable without the huge breakwater that was built across its mouth.

Maui - Lahaina was a long time whaling port, but there is no inlet, so ships have to anchor out, and people and things must go to and from in small boats. Wailuku is the big port, and the biggest town, but once again, it faces northeast, and the trades. The state had to build a special wharf for the SuperFerry when it was docking there.

Big Island. Kona is the most sheltered, but again it is not an inlet. There is now a long wharf there at which ships dock, but in the early days, it was like Lahaina. Hilo once again faces the trades.

Honolulu and Pearl Harbor face south, and therefore are sheletered from the trades and prevailing swells. Kaneohe Bay has a peninsula that forms a "hook" to windward of the bay, protecting one small dock from harm. Ships up to the size of a world war II Destroyer can navigate the channel.

Interesting question - I never thought of this before, but I'll bet this had a lot to do with the development of the islands.

Hank (31 years in the Navy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu