Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times

Advertisements

So I am a writer and want to move to Oahu to clear my head and get some different experiences to help me progress as a writer, but I've heard a lot about all of these people moving there and simply becoming stagnant and living on the beaches. I definitely do not want to be one of these people. I have extreme respect for different cultures and understand the kama'aina's perspective on outsiders. However, I must confess I do not plan to live in a house right away. I simply cannot afford it. Instead my plan would be to camp on the beach while I find a job and meet people, and hopefully before too long, find a few people to room with. I'd be moving with my black lab. I am no rich snob, who wants nothing to do with the Hawaiian culture. One of the main reasons why I am so interested in moving there is solely for the culture and history. I find it absolutely fascinating.

My questions are:

1. Would I have trouble with a pet?
2. Would I be stepping on the locals toes if we began talking and I told them I temporarily live on the beach?
3. Would I have trouble fishing, diving, and picking fruits for food (spending money only on the essentials, such as milk)?
4. And of course, is this at all realistic?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 PM

820 posts, read 3,041,138 times
On some beaches, a dog is a good idea if you plan to camp out. But no one likes to step in dog poop or pee, so please clean up after your dog all the time, and make sure s/he pees in areas that are unlikely to be walked upon.

Dogs are supposed to be on leash, but this can be somewhat relaxed, as long as the dog is well behaved and the owner nearby and neither is causing trouble. Non-dog people anywhere, not just Hawaii locals, HATE it when someone's dog is barking at them, and the owner just smiles and says "he doesn't bite!" Yeah, right, but who gets hurt if he does, and having the dog show aggression is no fun either.

Hopefully your lab is mellow and a good companion and will also alert you to anyone snooping around your camp.

Locals on Maui have no problem with the homeless in general. It's the behaviors of any individuals that can cause an issue. Keep clean; easy to do if you use the beach showers. Make friends with people who clean condos, and see if they will give you some of the leftover shampoos or soaps that people leave behind. You can ask them to leave it for you in the bushes. Don't panhandle, at least on Maui that's frowned upon.

Fishing and diving are fine. Know what you are doing if you decide to use a spear. Learn what and what not to eat, and when.

Picking fruits - chances are they are in someone's yard, because there aren't a lot of wild fruit trees. It is a big no-no to pick someone's fruit without permission. It may be legal to pick from an overhang into the street, but it still might irritate the person who lives there. Ask permission, people are very generous. Maybe you can trade something you find or make, or give flowers or do a small chore. Like carry a small broom, and offer to sweep their front walk or driveway.

Anything is realistic, depending on the individual. Have you lived outside, camping, before? Have you fished and scavenged for food for a longer period of time? Are you willing to go to churches or shelters to get food? Are you stagnant now, and if so, how will moving to Hawaii change that?

Just FYI, not all snobs are rich. Some of the worst snobs are very poor.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
camping on the beach requires a permit. you just can't camp out for months on end at the beach. if you have enough money to bring your big lab over you should have enough money to rent a room straight off. it sounds like you want to bum around on the beach, grab a papaya off the tree and fish for your dinner for an extended period of time. this is homelessness. I think most people are not happy when we learn someone is living on the beach. on oahu there are so many people living on the beach that it becomes a place that no one wants to go enjoy as it has turned into a homeless camp. it is difficult to get a job with an address let alone applying for one when you have none. no one will hire someone that doesn't have an address. to live off the land for your food is not realistic.
you need to come to hawaii with money and a better plan. be someone who contributes to our economy not be another bum on the beach with a dog

Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,724,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlounge View Post
2. Would I be stepping on the locals toes if we began talking and I told them I temporarily live on the beach?

You wont be stepping on the locals, the residents, or any transplants toes because you are temporarily living on the beach. Many locals, residents and transplants have found themselves living on the beach from the economy fall out.

But I bet that they will want to know what unfortunate things happen to make you live on the beach and when they find out this was your plan and you came to Hawaii to be a bum, you will not be respected by anyone.

How do you think anyone would fell when some bum is camping in the city park or school yard and it wasn't because they lost the job and house and fallen on hard times but moved from their HOME to someone elses home and became a bum in their city?

Cant you clear your head where your family and friends live? Your going to a place and adding to their homeless problems. How about telling us where yourt friends and family live so we can send some of Hawaii's homeless to their parks and campout.

Going to Hawaii without any resources to live properly is disrespectful and you will be treated with that same respect.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
your dog deserves a better lifestyle than to be homeless on the beach

Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,463,551 times
You're moving to Hawaii to be homeless?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:44 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
1. Would I have trouble with a pet? Yes.
2. Would I be stepping on the locals toes if we began talking and I told them I temporarily live on the beach? Yes.
3. Would I have trouble fishing, diving, and picking fruits for food (spending money only on the essentials, such as milk)? Yes.
4. And of course, is this at all realistic? Nope, not even in a fantasy would this be believable.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:52 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,424,704 times
Cool Wow...

You guys need to chill. She never once said she wanted to move to Hawaii to be a 'bum on the beach'. She's a writer. Needs to clear her head and rethink a few things. So, big big difference in being a 'bum on the beach' and simply 'bumming around on the beach'. right? right!
K

Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 PM

201 posts, read 824,438 times
If you can't afford to get a place, how will you pay for your dogs extraordinary vet fees that will be required, airline, and airport release fees or quarantine fees? How would you feed the dog, and where would it be sheltered (many beaches do not allow them)? How would you apartment and job hunt with the dog?

I personally think it's very foolish to move to HI (or anywhere) with the intent to sleep on the beach until you can afford housing- but you're presumably a grown adult who is capable of making that choice. I am most concerned about your dog, imo, it's not fair to it and I think you'll find it's financially much more difficult than you imagine to get the dog there. It is going to require several vet visits following a strict timeline, microchip implant, blood tests sent off to a specific lab (They charge a fee as will you local vet), another visit last minute for the last minute requirements plus health certificate, airport release fees or quarantine fees- it really adds up, and it takes 120 days start to finish to do it right. Don't forget to check airline pet as cargo fees. I'm going through all this *again* and I think many who relocate to the islands with pets underestimate what's involved.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:34 PM

94 posts, read 319,544 times
How old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu