Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM

23 posts, read 59,848 times

Advertisements

Hi Lonamaka,
I have been a Realtor for over 3 years, but I had no experience in real estate whatsoever when I got my license. Experience is NOT necessary in order to start. Of course, you get better as you experience what goes during the course of a property search or a listing, but that's the same with everything, right? A college degree is definitely not necessary to be a highly successful agent, no matter where you live. It takes drive, passion for serving your clients, and constantly generating leads to turn into clients. When you're truly "in real estate" you're really in the lead-generating business, i.e. always keeping the "pipeline" full to eventually turn those leads into clients. It becomes a way of life. Everywhere you go in your daily life you should strike up a conversation with someone, whether it's in line at the grocery store, hanging out with friends at the bar, etc. and then you will probably hear that someone in the group is either interested in buying or selling or knows someone who is. I believe it's important that, when you are looking for a broker to work for, you find one that has a culture that supports its agents, rather than just bringing you on saying "welcome. Now, go sell." It should be such that the other agents in the office would be willing to help answer your questions as they were once in the same position themselves. I am fortunate to work for a large nationally-recognized broker who thrives on this family culture. There's always a full calendar of training and clases which are mostly led by fellow agents and other times by title company representatives, and lenders. These classes help you quickly learn the ins and outs of any real estate market. I am happy to talk to you extensively about becoming an agent, no matter where you go. Just send me a private message and I'll tell you my experience. I get chills thinking about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 AM

17 posts, read 78,516 times
Like others here, I'd encourage you to go to college, it will always benefit you, whether you stay in real estate or not.

A couple of things, because properties are so expensive here, a 500K house practically IS the bottom and people buying a property of that expense (and more) will want to work with someone who knows the area and the complicated ins and outs of Hawaii real estate. Further, most people (especially here) do business with people they already know, so I imagine moving here and getting into real estate would be quite difficult.
You could move here, work, go to school, meet some people and start your life. I recommend you come out here and live for a couple of months to see if you like island living.

Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu