Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 74,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybershaman View Post
yes, i did know all this. my question is to do with the prices of studios in that area and whether web programming and web marketing jobs can be found over there...
Sorry, I must have misread it then (I thought it was a "but I don't like suburbs" rather than another subject altogether).

Not sure on studio apartments but you can look into off campus dormitories if the on campus ones don't suit you. They are basically Waikiki hotels transformed into dorms, only a little more independent than the on campus ones. I hear they are pretty cheap, but not the same as apartment living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM

682 posts, read 2,796,361 times
The question of "which school is better" is tricky. It depends a lot on you, and what you hope your college experience is like, and what you want to do.

HPU is a small private school. It will be more expensive (but they may have more financial aid to offer). Classes will be smaller, and professors will be more focused on teaching.

UH Manoa is a large public school in the middle of a budget crisis. I've been teaching there for two years only... as faculty leave and retire, they are not being replaced. Class sizes are getting bigger and bigger, and the more interesting classes are being cut or are being offered less often. This makes professors unhappy, it makes your class experience worse, and it makes it a lot harder to graduate in 4 or 5 years.

On the other hand, it's a lot cheaper to attend public school. In addition, UH is a "research 1" university. The professors are active researchers, and we have graduate students as well. If you are a very self-motivated student, who will do OK without as much professorial contact, supervision, and support... and one who might be interested in doing some undergraduate research or going on to graduate school... then you are probably better off at UH.

The undergrad experience at HPU is probably "better" in some ways, but HPU is not a known research school. If your plan is to get an undergrad degree and then go to work, it matters very little where you go (unless it's Harvard or something that opens doors by virtue of its name). If you want to go to graduate school, it helps to go someplace that will expose you to modern research, where the faculty can guide you towards graduate programs, and where the school will be recognized as a quality ("research 1") institution by graduate programs.

Of course, the problem is that you may not know your after college plans right now. Or more likely: you think you know them, but by your third year they will have changed completely. So if you visited and liked both equally, you should go to the one that will leave you with the least debt. No lie... student loans will haunt you.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
The question of "which school is better" is tricky. It depends a lot on you, and what you hope your college experience is like, and what you want to do.

HPU is a small private school. It will be more expensive (but they may have more financial aid to offer). Classes will be smaller, and professors will be more focused on teaching.

UH Manoa is a large public school in the middle of a budget crisis. I've been teaching there for two years only... as faculty leave and retire, they are not being replaced. Class sizes are getting bigger and bigger, and the more interesting classes are being cut or are being offered less often. This makes professors unhappy, it makes your class experience worse, and it makes it a lot harder to graduate in 4 or 5 years.

On the other hand, it's a lot cheaper to attend public school. In addition, UH is a "research 1" university. The professors are active researchers, and we have graduate students as well. If you are a very self-motivated student, who will do OK without as much professorial contact, supervision, and support... and one who might be interested in doing some undergraduate research or going on to graduate school... then you are probably better off at UH.

The undergrad experience at HPU is probably "better" in some ways, but HPU is not a known research school. If your plan is to get an undergrad degree and then go to work, it matters very little where you go (unless it's Harvard or something that opens doors by virtue of its name). If you want to go to graduate school, it helps to go someplace that will expose you to modern research, where the faculty can guide you towards graduate programs, and where the school will be recognized as a quality ("research 1") institution by graduate programs.

Of course, the problem is that you may not know your after college plans right now. Or more likely: you think you know them, but by your third year they will have changed completely. So if you visited and liked both equally, you should go to the one that will leave you with the least debt. No lie... student loans will haunt you.
Tuition will probably be the same in both, give or take $1,500 (I am an out of state student, that is not part of WUE). I do have plans for graduate school (hoping to get a doctorate or at least a masters). Undergraduate degrees in Marine Biology aren't "worth" much. Very difficult to find employment, and very low wages (on average). I guess in that case UH is looking as the better choice, but amidst budget cuts, I don't know how long UH, or most public schools, will be as highly acclaimed as they are.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:15 PM

94 posts, read 319,204 times
Quality of the school isn't going to go down the toilet all of sudden just because of some budget cuts—especially in a given school's most reputable and prestigious departments.

If you think UH is the place you want to be (especially for marine biology), then go there and don't worry about whether or not they're hiring new professors or buying fancy computers.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Hmm good point, but I am not "positive" that UH is the place I want to be... HPU is still a legitimate choice.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM

94 posts, read 319,204 times
Another thing to consider is that you're not going to be coming for another year (correct?)—supposedly we're on the way out of this recession. Public schools will always be hurting for money, but things might be better (or at least improving) in a year's time.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,441 times
I don't know anything about the Marine Biology program at HPU, but I do know the program at UHM is run mostly at an island in the middle of Kaneohe Bay that has MAJOR facilities, with a reef all around it. The state owns the whole island, and students and faculty commute to the island by boat. Here are some previous threads on this subject:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ghlight=Marine

Hank

Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
I don't know anything about the Marine Biology program at HPU, but I do know the program at UHM is run mostly at an island in the middle of Kaneohe Bay that has MAJOR facilities, with a reef all around it. The state owns the whole island, and students and faculty commute to the island by boat. Here are some previous threads on this subject:

Hank
That's for graduate students (I think, at least I know the Oceanic Institute that HPU has is for graduate students...) and summer program(s). I talked with the Dean of Marine Sciences and he said there is only one class that goes there like once in the year to see it, and only spends a day there. There's a summer program that goes there for 10 days though.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteefoster View Post
Quality of the school isn't going to go down the toilet all of sudden just because of some budget cuts—especially in a given school's most reputable and prestigious departments.

If you think UH is the place you want to be (especially for marine biology), then go there and don't worry about whether or not they're hiring new professors or buying fancy computers.
The reason to worry about UH not replacing profs is that students can't get the classes they need. Seriously. My department is teaching fewer and fewer classes each semester... about 2/3 of what we taught 2 years ago, and still decreasing. Some classes are going to be offered every two years instead of every semester. That can do serious damage to a graduation schedule.

And AFAIK, no one at UH is even *hinting* that things will be better in a year. They don't seem to think things will be better in five years. So, you know, roll the dice & take your chances.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musho3210 View Post
That's for graduate students (I think, at least I know the Oceanic Institute that HPU has is for graduate students...) and summer program(s).
Here's what their web site says about UH undergraduate work there:

Undergraduate Education
The Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology (HIMB) is a research institute of the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology(SOEST) at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa. Undergraduate students of the UH departments of Zoology, Oceanography, Microbiology, Botany, Geography, Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering (MBBE), and Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences (HNFAS) take classes and conduct research at HIMB in association with HIMB faculty. Although no undergraduate degrees are awarded by the HIMB, undergraduate students do participate in many of our research projects. UH students should review faculty research areas and contact individual faculty directly to inquire about potential research opportunities. If you are interested in becoming a student at UH-Manoa, please contact the following departments for further information:

Marine Biology Program 2450 Campus Road, Dean Hall R2, Honolulu, HI 808-956-8303 marine-biology@hawaii.edu
Zoology 2538 The Mall, Edmonson Hall, Honolulu, HI 96822, 808-956-8617 zoology@hawaii.edu
Oceanography 1000 Pope Road, MSB 307, Honolulu, HI 96822, 808-956-7633 ges@soest.hawaii.edu
Microbiology 2538 The Mall, Snyder Hall 207, Honolulu, HI 96822, 808-956-8553 uhmicro@hawaii.edu
Botany 3190 Maile Way, Room 101, Honolulu, HI 96822, 808-956-3923 botany@hawaii.edu
Geography 2424 Maile Way, 445 Saunders Hall, Honolulu, HI 96822, 808-956-8465 uhmgeog@hawaii.edu
MBBE 1955 East-West Road, AgSci Rm 218, Honolulu, HI 96822, 808-956-8384 mbbe@ctahr.hawaii.edu
HNFAS 1955 East-West Road, AgSci Rm 216, Honolulu, HI 96822, 808-956-7095 hnfas@ctahr.hawaii.edu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu