Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 AM

33 posts, read 51,482 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I would like to kindly inquire what the job market is like in Honolulu?

I am looking for Tier 1 System Administrators job where one maintains user accounts, user directories, daily backups etc.

any kind souls here would know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_cat View Post
Hello all,

I would like to kindly inquire what the job market is like in Honolulu?

I am looking for Tier 1 System Administrators job where one maintains user accounts, user directories, daily backups etc.

any kind souls here would know?
My husband does basically that job for one of the departments at UH. He got the job very quickly after arriving here, but had essentially no luck job hunting from the mainland, even though he was guaranteed to be here for an extended time (6 years min) for my job. No one was interested until he lived here.

Plus, UH is no longer hiring anyone into those jobs.

Plus, he makes 20% less than he did in a comparable job on the mainland (also at a university), and probably 50% as much as he made in the corporate world there. He feels underpaid so has been on the market selectively in the past year. He's had two other offers, both for even less money.

So: are there jobs? Yeah, but not many right now. But you're not going to earn a good salary here in a tech job, not at all. The folks I know in tech jobs who do well are mostly telecommuting and work for the same job they had on the mainland.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 AM

newUHprof

thanks for the quick reply.

I am a comp sci grad with about 10++ years of work experience

If I cannot find a tech job, I am considering to switch industry and learn from scratch.

does the jobs in Honolulu offer on the job training?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
The job market here is dismal and the pay scale is even worse. One of the few bright spots (mainly on Oahu) is working for the Federal government and Department of Defense as a civil service employee.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
The job market here is dismal and the pay scale is even worse. One of the few bright spots (mainly on Oahu) is working for the Federal government and Department of Defense as a civil service employee.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site
Thank you for the info!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
newUHprof

thanks for the quick reply.

I am a comp sci grad with about 10++ years of work experience

If I cannot find a tech job, I am considering to switch industry and learn from scratch.

does the jobs in Honolulu offer on the job training?

Put it this way. You are essentially competing against me and I have more experience...but I am currently unemployed and I already live here!
The tech job market is dismal, especially since the Democratic controlled state legislature recanted on the high tech jobs tax breaks. It has more or less told high tech to leave town because the state doesn't care.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Put it this way. You are essentially competing against me and I have more experience...but I am currently unemployed and I already live here!
The tech job market is dismal, especially since the Democratic controlled state legislature recanted on the high tech jobs tax breaks. It has more or less told high tech to leave town because the state doesn't care.
Hi,

are you currently working in a IT tech job?

Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Hi,

are you currently working in a IT tech job?

The part where I mentioned being currently unemployed should give a clue...

Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The part where I mentioned being currently unemployed should give a clue...
ok

I understand now

Thanks for the input

how do you make ends meet?

does your family help out?

Old 06-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Savings and unemployment as well as cash jobs pay the bills. This is very typical now on the Big Island.
Unemployment is at 10% and wages are lower than mainland anyway. This ain't utopia. If you move over, bring lots of cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: