Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 13,583 times

Advertisements

I live off Locust Rd near Lake Weir High School and I'm trying to find out who services the area from a cable/internet perspective. I've looked up my address on Cox, Bright House, and Comcast with all them saying my address is not serviceable.

The house I live at was built in 2007. I would be shocked if no cable/fiber was run to the houses around me. The reps I spoke to at Comcast said a site survey hasn't been done in a long time. I get the feeling that it's serviceable but the surrounding houses don't show up on the "grid" per say. Comcast came back and told me my house isn't serviceable. I won't accept that as an answer.

Does anyone have an information on the cable franchise agreement with Silver Springs Shores? Don't they have to provide service if they are the preferred provider?? Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,353,739 times
I suggest you try contacting Century Link who might provide internet/phone/cable TV to your area. Not all cable companies service every home address. I hope that is helpful.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM

I already have Century Link internet through a phone line. Can you say slow? This is 2013 and can't be my only option.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM

I have no problems with my internet connection speeds with Century Link. If you aren't happy with the connection speed, you can upgrade to a faster connection for an additional fee. I live downtown in Ocala, but in the Shores you might have a lesser connection speeds available due to the installed phone lines in your neighborhood.

There might be a smaller/local cable TV provider in your area. Try asking some of your neighbors. If all else fails, get Direct TV or Dish for satellite TV.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,175,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpoloitalia View Post
I live off Locust Rd near Lake Weir High School and I'm trying to find out who services the area from a cable/internet perspective. I've looked up my address on Cox, Bright House, and Comcast with all them saying my address is not serviceable.

The house I live at was built in 2007. I would be shocked if no cable/fiber was run to the houses around me. The reps I spoke to at Comcast said a site survey hasn't been done in a long time. I get the feeling that it's serviceable but the surrounding houses don't show up on the "grid" per say. Comcast came back and told me my house isn't serviceable. I won't accept that as an answer.

Does anyone have an information on the cable franchise agreement with Silver Springs Shores? Don't they have to provide service if they are the preferred provider?? Thanks so much for your help!
Ahhhh..as they used to tell me: You ain't from around these parts, are ya? Ask your neighbors, but it is entirely possible that there is no cable available. I was used to city franchise agreements, as well, but at least here in Marion County, there are no blanket city franchise agreements with cable companies. My home was built in 2006, and I am told that when this subdivision was first built, there was no cable. Luckily, BrightHouse came in shortly thereafter. Yet, I had looked at a house less than 3 miles away that had no cable service and would have had to rely on whatever version of Satellite I wanted. Yeah......that was a no-go. I even offered to pay the cost of running a line from the nearest junction, and they refused. I have learned that almost everything I had taken for granted elsewhere just doesn't apply here. Some things I can live with, like paying a separate bill for sewage ( Marion County ), water, ( Windstream ), and garbage ( WastePro ). Other things like Cable and SECO were non-negotiable.

Oh yeah......in some subdivisions, the developer owns/controls the "Cable". Your choice of channel availability may be at the whim of the "provider" and the associated political beliefs.

Another thing on the list of " Soooooo....what's it like to live in Ocala/Marion County "

Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
its Comcast call 4075955032

Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbnrbrjb View Post
its Comcast call 4075955032
I am sure that it might be helpful to the OP, but you responded to an almost 1 year old post. I imagine the OP already got an answer by now.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 PM

I've called Comcast 5 times to figure out why they can't provide me service and no one can give me a true answer. I don't see any coax run along the power lines. I guess it's not worth it for them to run the lines. Still makes no sense to me.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 AM

You can only obtain service from selected providers who are licensed in your specific area. If you live in a Bright House coverage area, Century Link won't likely offer service in that same area.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:07 PM

That's the problem...No one offers service other than slow Centurylink through a 1 mbps dsl connection. Is is 1995 again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala