Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 PM

236 posts, read 900,927 times

Advertisements

ALOT of lot prices are not included in the sale in Florida. I live in Dunnellon FL, and unless its a house that is already built, the land is probably not included. It surprised me too when I first came looking. Sink holes are not a big issue here, like they are in Spring Hill. And if there is any interest I have a cleared 1+ acre with over 2600 sq ft home for sale in Rolling Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 17,808 times
OMG--DO NOT move to Ocala. There are no jobs here and people are losing their homes left and right. Anyone that tells you differently is LYING. The jobs that are here are extremely low paying. It IS the poorest county in the state of FL. OMG, please don't move here. The weather is awful. We have 6 to 10 months (Depending on the year) of awful heat and humidity. It is also FULL OF BUGS. We have GIANT flying COCKROACHES here. It is an awful place to live, like living in a swamp. Most of us who live here, only do so because we can't afford to move. This is a really depressing place to live.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,943 times
If you live on the second floor of a Condo will there be less roaches to deal with or do they climb too?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allie01 View Post
If you live on the second floor of a Condo will there be less roaches to deal with or do they climb too?
Yes, roaches climb very easy from the outside of the building and the inside walls. With adequate pest control, they are not a major issue. No big deal.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Real estate is so much cheaper now. A good time to buy in Ocala.
yes with pest control there shouldn't be any bug issues.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:32 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Yeah I was wondering about Ocala for retirement. It's very inexpensive and is warm in the winter. Bugs are part of the terrain in the deep South...if you can't deal with it, look elsewhere.

For those that mentioned the low pay, I think that goes for pretty much all over Florida....bring your fortune there, probably not gonna make one there.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 41,392 times
Hi, I bought land 'bout 20 miles from Ocala in in Marion Cty and am now looking for the cheapest possible way to put some sort of house there on a beer budget. Are the County authorities very strict about codes and generally how are they towards farmers and people living out in th countryside?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
You need to be more specific. Are you wanting to pitch a tent, park an RV, place a mobile home, or build a home? Code enforcement can be strict unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 PM

17 posts, read 41,392 times
It's not totally in the wilderness, Dunnellon, SW - I was thinking buying one of those pre-fab cottages or shells and upgrading it, or put a mobile. Mobiles ar ok on A-1 zones, so are barns. I'm just not sure if I have to go through all tha hassle of having to run around government offices instead of farming.

I mean, it's fine that they make retired dentists go the full nine yards, but some people just want to farm.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM

39 posts, read 98,424 times
I too am looking at the Ocala area for retirement. Was down there end of June and LOVED it! Especially s/w Ocala. Love the idea of living "in the country", but only minutes from stores, movie theaters.... Much of the differing opinions are based on life experiences, perspective, age.... I think if you are older, looking at retiring to a simpler, quieter lifestyle, Ocala is perfect. Yes it gets hot in July and August, but I will take it over 30 below and six feet of snow where i live in New England. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala