Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 14,555 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job offer in ocala, and was wondering how ocala is for a 22 yr old young professional. Im moving from downtown atlanta, so im used to the big city,hours of traffic deal. Should I consider living in gainesville instead?the commute does not bother me. I will be living by myself in a new city so I would like a big social scene, and im sure gainesville would have that, but not too sure about ocala. Also, I imagine Ocala may be too country for me compared to atlanta. any input is appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 01:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,263 times
Well Gainesville has the big college campus up there. I like Ocala more. It's not all country. In fact just the back roads of Ocala have all the horse farms and things like. Traffic is nowhere near Atlanta in either area. it's about a 30 minute drive from Ocala to Gainesville along I-75. Depending on your job status, Gainesville has the big teaching hospital with every specialty you can think of. If it were to me, i would choose Ocala or the outskirts of Ocala and i'm 32. I live about 25 minutes from there but travel to Ocala and Gainesville quite often. I think you'd fit in just about anywhere. There's lots of restaurants and shopping in both cities.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 14,555 times
Thanks, I will consider Ocala. I am basically just looking for a similar demographic.
anyone else with more input would be great.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddymax View Post
I recently got a job offer in ocala, and was wondering how ocala is for a 22 yr old young professional. Im moving from downtown atlanta, so im used to the big city,hours of traffic deal. Should I consider living in gainesville instead?the commute does not bother me. I will be living by myself in a new city so I would like a big social scene, and im sure gainesville would have that, but not too sure about ocala. Also, I imagine Ocala may be too country for me compared to atlanta. any input is appreciated. thanks
I moved to Ocala from the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and have not found it satisfying.. especially the Social scene. Coming from a big city I wanted more selection in restaurants, coffee shops, stores, etc.. but there wasn't much for me here. A lot of bars that were much more country style, a lot of bbq restaurants and chains, but not really much unique and fun things to do. I am moving back down South. I prefer the fast pace life... I wanted a change from the city but it proved to be too much of a change. I am 24 so not much older than you. I'd say if you were coming to Ocala to raise a family and enjoy a much slower pace of life than sure.. you may find something here for you.. but for a young professional that is used to the city life... no I don't think Ocala would be what you wanted.. Gainesville is better..

Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,467 times
Default Ninfa/Hospital

Hello my name is Ninfa, i am going to Ocala, city next November for to do my clinical hours in a Hospital, I have two questions ....first is can i rent a apartment for 12 days? Ocala , city has a airport?............it is a expensive city or not?.............

Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,069 times
I too have lived the "Atlanta" lifestyle.... Ocala is NOT Atlanta, but is very laid back (a HUGE contrast!!!!)

YES, Ocala is far more "Country" than anything Atlanta. I would compare it to Gainesville GA! LOL

BUT, if you work here in Ocala, I would RATHER commute only for outings than for work! much less expensive in the long run.

Good Luck if you accept the job offer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala