Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times

Advertisements

Ohio is one of the few states that has its population well distributed throughout the state. We are home to 11.5 million people, three metro areas with over 2 million, Dayton/Springfield with over a million, and Akron/Canton with over a million. As well as Toledo with over 600,000, and Youngstown with 580,000. Very similar to Florida where you have large metros, medium sized metros, and your smaller metros that dot all corners of the state.

So here is my question. What do you think Ohio's one "large" city would be like?

We are always talking about how we have to spread money across the state to all of our different cities. Look at Illinois and Pennslyvania. Really only dealing with Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Philly on a large scale. Same goes for Georgia and Arizona.

What if we put Cincinnati/Dayton with Cleveland/Akron? Cincy and Cleveland proper would equal somewhere in the likes of 765,000 and a metro area of possibly 5-6 million. But what if we even went to the lengths of taking Cincy, Cbus, and Cleveland into one? They would equal 1,530,000 almost. We would still have good sized metro areas in Akron, Toledo, Youngstown, and Dayton.

I just got to thinking. We could have one much more powerful city instead of 3 semi powerful cities. It could compete with the likes of Philly because it would be around the same city proper size and metro size. The money would be more easily put towards one city instead of many.

So what do you think? Have you ever thought about that? Ohio's Chicago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
I actually posted a thread very similar to this about a month ago. Pointing out the similarities between Ohio and Illinois.

In terms of climate, topography, ecosystems, there are a lot of similarities, except that hilly, forested terrain covers a much larger percent of Ohio, than Illinois, and flat farmland covers a much higher % of Illinois. The main difference of course is that the urban population is much more spread out in Ohio.

Yes, I believe if you took the 19th century growth of Cincinnati as a meat-packing, German (and Irish) destination transportation hub

with the steel/machinery industrial city growth of Cleveland during the early and mid 20th century with the Slavic, Italian, Greek, and African American immigrating to industrial jobs.

With the late 20th, early 21st century growth of Colombus with the more "yuppie" economically healthier "creative class"

Yes, I think the synergy of all that working together, you would have something kind of similar to Chicago.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 PM

285 posts, read 642,312 times
It would be cool if Cleveland could turn itself around enough to start growing again. It definitely feels the most like a big city. It might be able to feed off of the populations of the other cities in NE Ohio as well.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Don't forget the fact that Cincinnati has subway tunnels. I wonder what type of ammenities the city would have. Already, if you look at the Cincy, Columbus, and Cleveland, they all have awesome, top-notch ammenities.

I definatly can see a city not quite up to Chicago's level, but passed Philly.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Between the Buckeyes, two pro baseball teams, two pro football teams, a basketball team, hockey, and mls it would be one hell of a sports town.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Where would you prefer its location?

Cincinnati
Columbus
Cleveland

or another favorable location?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Cincy and Cleveland seem more scenic than Columbus, so I would vote for one of those.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,106 times
Default Columbus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Where would you prefer its location?

Cincinnati
Columbus
Cleveland

or another favorable location?
My choice would be Columbus. Cleveland does indeed have the feel of a big town and has the proper infrastructure but the weather (winter) is god-awful!

Cincinnati does not have the leadership, infrastructure, mentality or desire to be anything more than a backwater town.

Columbus has leadership and ability. Being the seat of state power, it could pull the proper strings to get the infrastructure.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Cincinnati does not have the leadership, infrastructure, mentality or desire to be anything more than a backwater town.
... this is your response, but at the same time you're against the streetcar???

You have to be for one or the other.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
... this is your response, but at the same time you're against the streetcar???

You have to be for one or the other.
I was thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio