Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I definitely feel like the Cincinnati area is more conservative, specifically its suburbs, which are still some of the strongest Republican counties in the state outside of the northern Miami Valley. However, Cincinnati itself seems to be turning more Democratic and liberal based on recent elections. I've also heard that Cincinnati is more provincial, but I have no idea if that is true or not. I've not spent enough time there to really get a feel for that one way or another. I also think Cincinnati has a much less diverse population than Cleveland. Cincinnati's economy is better.
You are right cincinnati has been proven to be a better economic city then cleveland. Also cincinnati as a whole including sububrs seems to lean towards the republican politics but as a whole the city seems to be liberal....their is a difference between liberal and democratic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
1. Cincinnati has loss more population than St. Louis this decade by percentage and raw numbers. A smaller city losing more people.

Cincinnati - 296,943 (2010) 331,285 (2000) - 10.4% loss or 34,342
St. Louis - 319,294 (2010) 348,189 (2000) - 8.3% loss or 28,895

2. Cincinnati is part of the larger Hamilton County giving it a competitive advantage over St. Louis which is an independent city with no county backing. Let's remember that Cincinnati has nothing like Clayton, MO (the region's 2nd downtown and seat of St. Louis County). St. Louis has to rely on itself to get things done.

3. Saying that Downtown St. Louis has not had any major projects going on is simply a lie. Downtown St. Louis has been going through one of the most impressive revitalizations in the country. Over $5 Billion in revitalization in the past decade. Mostly on the Washington Avenue loft disrict.

http://www.downtownstl.org/docs/St.%...acts_v1012.pdf

Let's not also forget that downtown has City Garden and The City Museum (both have been nationally recognized).
Also the Arch just had a international competion and will be undergoing a renovation that will cost hundreds of millions.

4. Why do you think that St. Louis doesnt have any rehabilitation going on even in North St. Louis?
Ever heard of the Old North St. Louis Restoration Group?
There 14th St. Revitalization was nothing short of amazing.
Old North St. Louis Blog » 14th Street Mall

Not to mention numerous other places in South St. Louis and the Central Corridor.

I'll admit that I've spent limited time in Cincinnati, but I was never under the impression that you guys were doing so much more than St. Louis. Again I could be wrong, but everything you have mentioned about Cincinnati is presently going on in St. Louis if not on a larger scale. As we speak there are numerous major projects going on in the city of St. Louis (especially Downtown) that have not been stalled by the economy.

I'm still confused as to why you believe Cincinnati is a cosmopolitan version of St. Louis?
Yes but cincinnati's metro is growing faster then the st. Louis metro. Also Cincinnati has one of the fastest growing counties in the state of Ohio and above the national average. also our downtown population is the fastest growing in the state of Ohio. Cincinnati also rely s on its city to get stuff done...im pretty sure its every city not just st. Louis. Yes Cincinnati does have more downtown projects going on then st. Louis no need to explain!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 AM

4,480 posts, read 6,234,095 times
I think Cincinnati and Cleveland are very dissimilar.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
^
Agree!

Cleveland --> more like---> Chicago, Buffalo, Milwaulkee

Cincinnati is more a place unto itself. I'd say "like Pittsburgh or Baltimore", (hills--similar to Pbgh--- and old red brick and high density areas closer in) but it's not since it doesn't have the big immigrant history and residual ethnic culture..and Pbgh and Baltimore are more Democratic, politically (this is metro area, not just the city), and Baltimore is or was a port city.

Cincy is really it's own world.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I think Cincinnati and Cleveland are very dissimilar.
I think they are similar in having a real sense of "place," to me at least. I've hung out with a lot of people form both places and they just really seem to have similar attitudes about their cities, both positive and negative, but I don't know, it just seems to me that these attitudes are always much stronger in these two places than anywhere else in Ohio. This might be because there are so many generations of families that have lived in these places and are the oldest in the state. Columbus is was established later and tends to be more transient, so I don't get the same feeling of "place" from it.

But overall, as cities themselves, I agree- I don't see much in common.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think they are similar in having a real sense of "place," to me at least. I've hung out with a lot of people form both places and they just really seem to have similar attitudes about their cities, both positive and negative, but I don't know, it just seems to me that these attitudes are always much stronger in these two places than anywhere else in Ohio. This might be because there are so many generations of families that have lived in these places and are the oldest in the state. Columbus is was established later and tends to be more transient, so I don't get the same feeling of "place" from it.

But overall, as cities themselves, I agree- I don't see much in common.
Really good points concerning the people.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,314 times
Cleveland and Cincinnati and Columbus all have some similarities, but are all very different.

Really I would say Cincinnati is the least similiar to ANY city in Ohio. It is all to its own. If you wanted to look you would find more similarities to the demographics/politics of Columbus and Cleveland (many clevelanders moved to columbus metro, columbus metro is also liberal, columbus metro now has the states fastest growing asian population which cleveland has)

Cincinnati is so southern and midwestern in its routes (and also very german and less catholic)

Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
and less catholic
It may be less Catholic than it used to be, but Cincinnati is very Catholic.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
It may be less Catholic than it used to be, but Cincinnati is very Catholic.
Yep. Overwhelmingly Catholic

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
In terms of traditional built environment...

Hartford >> Rochester >> Buffalo >> Cleveland >> Detroit >> Chicago >> Milwaukee

Philadelphia >> Baltimore >> Washington DC >> Pittsburgh >> Cincinnati >> Louisville >> St. Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio