Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,642,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Hmmm, is it safe to say that Ohio's rejection of the 3C's rail line is the states biggest FAIL of the 21st century?
As of yet, yes. Let's hope that is about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
As Americans we have a love affair with cars. We love that we dont have to share space in a vehicle with strangers. Our car is a big metal fortress of privacy on wheels, protecting us, socially, from everyone else. We love our little isolation chamber on wheels. Theres plenty of things we hate about driving (traffic, bad conditions, bad drivers, etc)....but we accept these things because we cant picture any other way of doing things.
Great post Tobias, but I disagree just a bit with this.
We love our cars simply because it is EASIER then taking a train. And cars are nice. We do love our cars.
But we really like them because it is easy.
If I could take the train from Cleveland to Westlake, I might. lol
I'd much rather play games on my phone or read the paper on my way to work.
My wife would love to take the RTA downtown every day but walking from Tower City, the only place to get off downtown, to her job is quite the hike. If there was another stop close to her building she would take it.

Quote:
I think it maybe would of been wiser to "go big or go home" so to speak, with our plans right from the get go
........ I think it would of been nice to have just went balls out from the get go and actually planned for an actual high-speed train (im talking 100+ mph).........for those uninformed about rail travel, they can still compare the speed of "that train" = 110 mph to "my car" = 65 mph, and the difference would perhaps be impressive to a lot more people.
This I could not agree with more.
If the train could go from CLE > COL in ONE hour or COL > CINCY... that would be really revolutionary. That would change this state for the better in so many ways.
Suddenly an entirely new job market gets opened for people in COL. They can look for work in CLE or CIN! How many more opportunities does that open? Likewise, I could probably land that sweet Governemnt job in COL that I've always wanted... and still live here!

But this whole: we are going to start slow... doesn't cut it for me. Start slow and no one is going to take it. It may get used in the winter but MAY - SEPT it will be mostly empty. Then they will say "well there's not enough demand to make it a high speed rail now......"
Go big or go home.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio