Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city in Ohio
Cleveland 66 27.62%
Toledo 7 2.93%
Dayton 16 6.69%
Cincinnati 58 24.27%
Columbus 74 30.96%
Akron 7 2.93%
Youngstown 11 4.60%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,452,758 times

Advertisements

TEN POOREST CITIES
City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level
(2006 US Census Bureau)

1. Detroit , MI
32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY
29..9%

3. Cincinnati , OH
27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH
27.0%

5. Miami , FL
26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO
26.8%

7. El Paso , TX
26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI
26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA
25.1%

10. Newark , NJ
24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

What do the top ten cities

(over 250,000) with the highest

poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit , MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961.

Buffalo , NY (2nd) hasn't elected

a Republican mayor since 1954.

Cincinnati , OH (3rd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1984.

Cleveland , OH (4th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1989.

Miami , FL (5th) has never had

a Republican mayor.

St. Louis , MO (6th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1949.

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had

a Republican mayor.

Milwaukee , WI (8th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1908.

Philadelphia, PA (9th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1952.

Newark , NJ (10th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1907.

Einstein once said,
'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-----------
It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats
yet they are still POOR!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You cannot help the poor
by destroying the rich.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You cannot strengthen the weak
by weakening the strong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot bring about prosperity
by discouraging thrift.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot lift the wage earner up
by pulling the wage payer down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot further the brotherhood of man
by inciting class hatred.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot build character and courage
by taking away people's initiative and independence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot help people permanently
by doing for them,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
what they could and
should do for themselves."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-05-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,641,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
sunny-days90, please elaborate how columbus "runs away" over cleveland or cincy?
Don't expect posters like that to respond. They really don't know much about the topic at hand, they just sprout off their opinion as a fact and then leave because they can't debate why.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,951,691 times
mkfarnam: correlation does not equal causation

Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
mkfarnam: correlation does not equal causation
I know what you mean,

But, I didn't write it, I only posted it.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

390 posts, read 1,049,603 times
I would just like to throw in that I think the most underrated is Dayton. Downtown Dayton is really making a comeback and Id encourage you to check it out. Its very lively and although most of the city is dying...downtown is really evolvng itself unlike any city in Ohio. Not saying its the best or the worst...just saying its different...in a way that I dot think Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Columbus could achieve.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM

5 posts, read 12,936 times
Default It's About the Right Fit

I am proudly raised and am currently residing in Cleveland, but I try to be rational about these types of City vs. City discussions. I recognize that I'm biased, but I feel Cleveland is the right fit for me.

Every city has it's ups and downs and the suburbs, and lack of substantial urban populations (when compared with the top 15 populous cities in the country), fuel this argument. If you like midsize cities, as I do, each city has unique characteristics.

Columbus has a strong youth population and is a bit more liberal than Cleveland. It is the largest growing city in Ohio, regardless of the fact that they have swallowed surrounding communities in recent years. They have great areas in Short North, Campus and German Village. It's a test market city, so there are a lot of chain restaurants, but plenty of entertainment venues have popped up in recent years.

Cincinnati resembles Cleveland in more ways than either city will care to admit. They are diverse and both have great concentrated entertainment districts. Cincinnati's riverfront is a great time. The biggest difference I see is that I've always felt a more laid back atmosphere with a cool tinge of an urban feel.

Cleveland is much more urban than any of the aforementioned. The main reason I love it here is that it has been preserved despite it's slower than expected and yet to be realized transition from a manufacturing hub to a commercial mecca. It was both at one time and the downtown resembles it. Also, the waves of immigrant migration resulted in interesting cultural pockets from Eastern Europe to Western Asia. The long awaited summertime here results in far too many cultural festivals to be capable of attending.

Take your pick, but don't post mindless digs on these cities. I take offense as an Ohioan.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,103,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
i have asked this before. what does columbus have that cleveland doesnt? i can sure list many things cleveland has that columbus doesnt.. 3 pro sports teams, more abundant out-door activities/metro park options, world class orchestra,great lake/beaches, more museums, much better/larger theatre options, more fine dining, more ethnic resturants/food choices, many more nieghborhoods/suburbs to choose from, better bus/light rail/rapid transit transportation options, much larger metro area,largest/growing downtown population and downtown nightlife options etc,etc... i just dont get it. columbus is fine but lets be real. cleveland is twice the city folks. come visit and see for yourself.
I know this post is months old, but...

It's kind of silly to compare the two as far as amenities when the reality is that Columbus continues to grow quickly and Cleveland does not. Amenities are great, but if they are not cohesive, if your neighborhoods are not exciting, if your sports teams suck (and yes, Cleveland, they do), if you continue to lose population... This all gives the impression of a city well past its prime. Most of what Cleveland has now in terms of amenities it received a long time ago, when the city was much larger than it is now.
This is not to say that Cleveland can't come back, and I know that they are making efforts to do so, but it still feels like a rust-belt city to me overall. I just don't get excited about visiting Cleveland. I do hope this all changes, though, as the stronger all of Ohio's cities are, the better.

Columbus, imo, is at the tipping point of becoming a major player. The last few years especially, I have seen rapid changes. The events are larger, the crowds larger, the street traffic more widespread. We are seeing exciting developments spreading out from the Downtown. People continue to move here in double-digit numbers (and NOT because of annexation, as that was not the case from 2000-10), and diversity in terms of Hispanics and Asians is one of the fastest growing in the nation. Columbus has all the ingredients to become what Cleveland used to be but imo, no longer is.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,638,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

It's kind of silly to compare the two as far as amenities when the reality is that Columbus continues to grow quickly and Cleveland does not. Amenities are great, but if they are not cohesive, if your neighborhoods are not exciting, if your sports teams suck (and yes, Cleveland, they do), if you continue to lose population... This all gives the impression of a city well past its prime. Most of what Cleveland has now in terms of amenities it received a long time ago, when the city was much larger than it is now.
This is not to say that Cleveland can't come back, and I know that they are making efforts to do so, but it still feels like a rust-belt city to me overall. I just don't get excited about visiting Cleveland. I do hope this all changes, though, as the stronger all of Ohio's cities are, the better.

Columbus, imo, is at the tipping point of becoming a major player. The last few years especially, I have seen rapid changes. The events are larger, the crowds larger, the street traffic more widespread. We are seeing exciting developments spreading out from the Downtown. People continue to move here in double-digit numbers (and NOT because of annexation, as that was not the case from 2000-10), and diversity in terms of Hispanics and Asians is one of the fastest growing in the nation. Columbus has all the ingredients to become what Cleveland used to be but imo, no longer is.

News flash - the Columbus Blue Jackets suck.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,948,189 times
^Ya, and the Cleveland Indians are in first place!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,418,397 times
I thought about just ignoring this post, but I couldn't help myself.

Quote:
It's kind of silly to compare the two as far as amenities when the reality is that Columbus continues to grow quickly and Cleveland does not.
My friend, we have been over this many times, but I will give this one last try...

City Area

Columbus: 212.6 sq miles
Cleveland: 82.4 sq miles

And within city limits Columbus has a bunch of McMansions and suburban style architecture that you can't find in Cleveland until you are well outside city limits. This is well illustrated by comparing both cities population densities:

Columbus: 3,556.1/sq mi
Cleveland: 5,113/sq mi

^Note that this is occurring while Cleveland is losing populations to it's suburbs, yet Columbus is GROWING within city limits. This makes it obvious that the growth in Columbus is very sprawled out.

And just for good measure, let's go ahead and compare the nicknames of each city(according to wikipedia):

Columbus: Cowtown, The Biggest Small Town in America
Cleveland: The Forest City, C-Town

But let's see what else you have to say...I'm sure there's some humor in here somewhere...

Quote:
Amenities are great, but if they are not cohesive, if your neighborhoods are not exciting, if your sports teams suck (and yes, Cleveland, they do), if you continue to lose population...
LOL.

Okay, now you are just trolling. Columbus is chock full of Cleveland sports fans. And if you were from NY or SF, I could live with neighborhood criticisms...but you're from Columbus....glass houses, my friend...

Quote:
I agree with you that Columbus is growing...but it will not be anything like Cleveland. Columbus' growth is identical to the sun belt cities. If that's your cup of tea, then hey...good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio