Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,394,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep2Beep View Post
There is nothing wrong with needing and receiving a little help but the problem is that welfare has become a way of life for some many people in this country. Welfare is so easy to get that so many people don't want to bother trying to do anything for themselves......like getting as much education as possible.......heck, how many people do you know who plant a garden? How hard would it be for a person to just plant a couple of apple trees in their yard? Or some vegetables?

Another point to all of this is the salary/benefit levels of many of the people who control the welfare system in Ohio. They want to keep the system going because they gain from it. Go to the office of your county auditor and ask to see the payroll records for the employees of the local welfare office. You will be shocked at the level of pay that many of the employees receive!! The information is public so you have a right to see all of it. The more people they can sign up for welfare the more employees they can hire and the more employees they hire the higher their civil service classification goes....thus, more salary.
The Dayton, Ohio area has lost nearly SEVENTY thousand manufacturing jobs in the past TEN YEARS. That is NET LOSS. I have heard of companies compensating their workers so pitifully that the company actually encourages employees to apply for food stamps - in effect treating that a part of it's pay package. Welfare reform is needed, but too much of that right now would smack of the Hoover mentality. Also, any American willing to work has to compete with low paid illegal immigrant help - stopped at a restaraunt construction site recently to find out when it was going to open and was unable to - nobody spoke English, the government should arrest corporate execs who hire undocumented workers - jail time, not a fine or probation. I see that as an economic crime against legitimate US working families. The illegals already here should be given a path to legitimacy and tapped for Social Security, Medicare, and income taxes in return for the right to live here illegally (these programs require los of young, healthy contruibutors - immigraion is supplying most of our population growth right now. And the mentality of the Kasick admin - he recently stated that he felt that it was unfair for a waitress at Bob Evans not to receive health care benefits while teachers (with master's degrees) did. I agree, but his solution was to reduce the benefits for the teachers! Nothing said about a kick in the rear to Bob Evans, or universal health care coverage! Many seem to have a race for the bottom mentality. This is behind much of he resentment faced by well paid blue collar union workers. Create more opportunities for the have nots, get over the mentality of dragging down the haves (the motive here is often envy), resolve the illegal issue, and THEN, if the unemployment numbers warrant, drastically overhaul welfare if necessary - with the reforms pegged to the state of the economy. Common sense dictattes that more welfare spending will be necessary during at down economy, for instance, so automatically up the budget when unemployment spikes, lower it when it drops. Also, remember that when welfare programs are eliminated much more bargaining power accrues to your employer...you have that many fewer options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 PM

973 posts, read 2,144,660 times
Yes, Ohio has ALOT of gov't ass'tence. I believe most states do. My good friend WAS on section 8 (housing) , rec'd food stamps, medicaid, WIC & gov't ass'tence each mos. She was living w/ her boyfriend. Someone 'ratted her out' & she lost most of that except I believe medicaid for her child (he was over 5 & no longer qualified for WIC) . I am very proud to report she has moved on & in & is engaged to a nice, hardworking, Christian man & off all ass'tence. She is mgr at Burger King, so, it's not like she got lucky. She worked her way out. Has she made some missteps in life? Heck yes, but, I'm proud that she didn't let that stop her. &, don't count her family, you look up 'white trash' in the dictionary, you find a pic of her family. =P &, sadly, these are the people raising her older daughter. That is my only 'bone' w/ her. I wish she would get custody of this teen. The girls 'father' is in jail & wants nothing to do w/ her. It's really sad. My Mom instinct kicks in & I wish I could 'fix' everything.

Wow, did I OT. lol I am all for helping those who really need it, but not those who abuse it. &, I only know about the programs because my friend was on them. We talked about them alot. I'm always curious about pretty much anything I don't know alot about. lol

Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 AM

901 posts, read 2,390,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
you or anyone is welcome to purge all assets and attempt the state-supported life. good luck!
You don't qualify for it if you voluntarily quit your job. So you can't simply purge your assets in order to go on government assistance. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep2Beep View Post
There is nothing wrong with needing and receiving a little help but the problem is that welfare has become a way of life for some many people in this country. Welfare is so easy to get that so many people don't want to bother trying to do anything for themselves......like getting as much education as possible.......heck, how many people do you know who plant a garden? How hard would it be for a person to just plant a couple of apple trees in their yard? Or some vegetables?
Welfare is NOT easy to get if you quit your job. It's also not as simple as "snapping your fingers" to get more education. That education has to be paid for, and if you don't qualify for student loans, you're up a creek. As for planting apple trees....um, yeah. Those trees cost money...and it will take a number of years for them to grow and produce fruit. Growing your own vegetables might be doable, but where are you going to put the cows and chickens for the meat, milk, and eggs they produce?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:23 PM

911 posts, read 2,602,834 times
bet $100 shes got cable, internet and always has nice clothes too,right?

it seems like when you dont take care of yourself and do honest work, the state just sees fit to take my hard earned money to help them.

"what about the kids?"

stop having so many.

what about state programs for the working poor who pay for all this welfare stuff?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,189,221 times
The working poor pay for all the welfare? Yeah, I don't think so.

Question: Has anyone ever lived on welfare? I personally never have and I never want to. It's basic subsistence. Too many people make it seem as if it's like finding a pot of gold. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio